Getting a discrete card shows how buggy Skylake integrated GFX still is.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I felt like the Intel HD530 graphics I've been on for the past few months was a bit buggy, especially coming out of sleep. Windows on my second monitor would often get bounced to the primary display or window sizes would be all off and messed up. It was very slow to detect and give a picture to my displayport screen. Occasionally the screen would flick black for a split second almost like a display driver crash.

Since I popped in my GTX950, all of the above mentioned issues are gone. The displayport monitor gets a picture almost as soon as I turn on the computer. Numerous sleep/resume cycles and everything is always exactly where I left it on the screen. There are other clear advantages to having a discrete card but just basic stability in day-to-day use is something, for sure.

If you've recently built/acquired a skylake machine and are using the Intel HD5xx graphics and have some annoying power management behavior or displayport weirdness, it's worth consideration.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Seems like driver issues rather than hardware. I would hope so, otherwise every windows laptop on igp would be equally buggy.

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
I had a lot of wonkiness with Win10 after a clean install when I upgraded to a Skylake build. I made it about a month before power management, audio and general stability issues forced a reinstall. After that everything started working and stability improved dramatically.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Seems like driver issues rather than hardware. I would hope so, otherwise every windows laptop on igp would be equally buggy.

Well, there are a lot of variables at play when it comes to issue like this. I was using the WHQL intel drivers. I upgraded to the most recent drivers last week with little improvement. Also, these are quirks related to my multiple monitor setup using displayport and HDMI simultaneously. As a result, laptops aren't really dealing with the issue in the same way I was. Also, there are many widespread reports of issues with Skylake-based laptops for some time now. Look at the problems Microsoft had with their Surface Book -- it took multiple firmware and driver updates to solve myriad power management and multiple-monitor problems with that machine.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Ugh the only time I feel low end iGFX will ever be "useful" is when they can be used in combo with discrete Graphics to improve performance.

Right now they are pretty much a waste of space...

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-pro-4-update-history

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history

April 2016 updates
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4409) improves the overall stability of the graphics driver, resolves screen flickering in several popular applications, and cases where the display does not reinitialize correctly after the device resumes from sleep or hibernation.
Intel really dropped the ball here when it comes to Skylake GPU drivers, one can only hope Kaby Lake would be better when it comes to drivers.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The drivers are improving but yeah, it has taken quite a bit of time.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I had a lot of wonkiness with Win10 after a clean install when I upgraded to a Skylake build. I made it about a month before power management, audio and general stability issues forced a reinstall. After that everything started working and stability improved dramatically.

Yep, always go clean installs.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Intel with crappy video drivers is nothing new.
If you look at most games, the #1 problem is with intel's video drivers.