Get your high school diploma from McDonalds !

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm not too sure I would want to go on a job interview with that.
Its only in the UK for now.

SO where did you go to school ?
McDonalds
Uhm, where ?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/...ducation.ap/index.html
Along with two other large companies, McDonald's Corp. was given the power to award the equivalent of advanced high-school qualifications as part of a plan to improve young people's skills, said the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, a government education regulator.

It is the first time the government has granted national recognition to corporate training schemes. But universities and colleges will have to decide whether to accept the corporate qualifications as grounds for admission.

The fast-food chain had been granted approval to develop courses and set exams up to the standard of A-levels -- the final exams taken by high school students that determine college and university admission.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
If they flunk those tests, do they get fired? They won't have anybody working there...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Would you like fries with that diploma?

KT

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
we have something like that in the U.S. called co-op. you get a high school credit for work.

i see nothing wrong with this.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
How are they going to handle subjects like Algebra, Biology, or History ?
I just can't see this as a good thing.
Still after the state of the unions ' no child left behind speech, maybe this is what Bush is planning :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks
How are they going to handle subjects like Algebra, Biology, or History ?
I just can't see this as a good thing.
Still after the state of the unions ' no child left behind speech, maybe this is what Bush is planning :)

you should read the article.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
we have something like that in the U.S. called co-op. you get a high school credit for work.

You must be thinking of something else. I'm in college and I co-op. It works like this. Go to class for 5 quarters, (freshman year), work at a job in your field for a quarter, school for a quarter, work, school, work... etc

You end up co-oping 5-6 times. You do not get credit for it and it turns a 4 year program into a 5 year program with no summer break. You do however get paid and get experience.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I've read the article.
They are not getting high school credits.
They are getting a full diploma based on the curriculum McDonalds develops.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: legoman666
Originally posted by: waggy

You must be thinking of something else. I'm in college and I co-op. It works like this. Go to class for 5 quarters, (freshman year), work at a job in your field for a quarter, school for a quarter, work, school, work... etc

You end up co-oping 5-6 times. You do not get credit for it and it turns a 4 year program into a 5 year program with no summer break. You do however get paid and get experience.

in college yes.

in high school they have it where you go to class for most of the day then you work 2-3 hours a day in "training". things like on a farm (wich is the big one), mechanic, etc.

you get credit for it and paid.

for some they train them in easy jobs such as McDonalds, Target etc. but err they are the "special" kids..

wich is what this program is.