Discussion Get rid of "downvoting/upvoting" posts

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It doesn't increase engagement, it just gives people a way out of the conversation by pushing a button.

My ire really lies with downvoting.

When someone agrees with a post, everything you need to know about what they liked is right there in the body of the post. We really don't need a circlejerk of posts going "I agree" afterward either.

But when someone downvotes or "disagrees" with a post, its sort of the internet equivalent of rebuking an argument by saying "no" then walking away. What is the disagreement? Lets have a debate? Lets hash out ideas so we all reach a better understanding? No.

The information we need on understanding a downvote is the infinity of possibilities outside the body of the post. The post is the wrong answer, what is the right answer? No one knows, because the downvoter is not forced to put their counterargument out there.

This forum is dead enough, lets not give people more excuses not to post.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Where are you seeing downvoting? With my firefox add-ons I'm only seeing the four "Like" options. They got rid of the "thumbs down" in the "Like" options a while back.
Tech forums mainly.
Look at any thread where there's a question or a discussion.
You will see the up/down voting ability on the lest side.

Older threads do not have the up/downvoting associated with it.

I arbitrarily picked a thread.

Reactions: balloonshark

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I agree, this is likely a good idea.

Feb 4, 2009
Gotta agree, there seems to be no point to upvoting or down voting subject in the technical sub forums.
What is the imagined point?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Gotta agree, there seems to be no point to upvoting or down voting subject in the technical sub forums.
What is the imagined point?
Agreeing or disagreeing with the post without actually posting.

It is the lazy way to do things.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Tech forums mainly.
Look at any thread where there's a question or a discussion.
You will see the up/down voting ability on the lest side.

Older threads do not have the up/downvoting associated with it.

I arbitrarily picked a thread.

Really? Wow, that shows how much I've shifted from the tech forums to the social ones. I guess they just removed downvoting from the social forums like p&n (quite rightly, IMO). Clealry I no longer go to the tech forums enough to notice what goes on there.

Downvoting in social forums is a terrible idea, but I miss being able to vote 'informative' or 'agree' as well as just 'like'. Doesn't seem right to react to a post, say, announcing there's some new awful coronavirus variant on the rise with 'like' and a cheerful thumbs-up.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also, I agree with the OP on the asymmetric nature of upvoting and downvoting. Saying you agree is different from saying you don't - doing the latter without a supporting argument is just being annoying for no purpose, like shouting abuse and running away.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
i like the idea of OP picking a winner, but thats all. upvotes and downvotes dont really help a lot.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
i like the idea of OP picking a winner, but thats all. upvotes and downvotes dont really help a lot.

Exactly. As far as I am concerned, downvoting is the social media equivalent of a child throwing a temper tantrum, then taking his ball and stomping off home.

When I see someone do it, I have the habit of going through and upvoting every downvote they make in a thread just to ruin their sense of satisfaction. :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Exactly. As far as I am concerned, downvoting is the social media equivalent of a child throwing a temper tantrum, then taking his ball and stomping off home.

When I see someone do it, I have the habit of going through and upvoting every downvote they make in a thread just to ruin their sense of satisfaction. :)
pretty close to what happen to me, i gave someone a downthumb so they stalked my posts and gave them all down thumbs.. (OK thats fine so i went to only 4 or 5 of his posts and did the same and smiled) at that point he cried to a Moderator who told me i had 30 mins to undo them or i would be banned(prob ended up with 1+ month for giving someone 5 thumbsdown :) !!!!!!!!! i think all this downvote upvote is nonsense, you put something to use (downvote) then you ban someone for using it and not having the time to undo the downvotes fast enough? :)

How many time do we have to go through this with you?
You cannot discuss moderation issues in anywhere but Moderation discussions forum.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator: