Get ready for glass platter 3.5" HDDs

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Heh, yeah, I was going to say, I recall have a few HDs that had glass platters.
If they use tempered glass now, those would be too heavy, so, they must be doing something special to the glass being so thin.

Hoya has already prototyped 0.5mm- and 0.381mm-thick substrates, enabling to house 10 and 12 substrates, respectively, in a 3.5-inch HDD whose thickness is about 1 inch.
I tend to think they must mount these in a special chamber to prevent knocks/drops from shattering the glass.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I think it will be fine, the industry has had plenty of experience from making glass platters for 2.5 inch spinning rust.

Reactions: cbn

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Should be interesting to see how this works out, a 3.5" platter will have a much higher velocity on the outer edges and over all more mass to move so it's a slightly different ball game than 2.5".

And holy crap 20TB on one drive. Crazy how they've gotten density so high now. I remember reading something around the time the first 1TB drive came out saying that they are starting to hit a point where they can't go too much denser due to various material restrictions, magnetics etc. But they were able to do it.

Definitely want to use raid (and backups) with drives like this though, that is a lot of data to lose access to in one shot if it fails.

Reactions: PliotronX

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Definitely want to use raid (and backups) with drives like this though, that is a lot of data to lose access to in one shot if it fails.
I think it's a given that you should always backup your data, regardless of a drive's size.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Heh, yeah, I was going to say, I recall have a few HDs that had glass platters.
If they use tempered glass now, those would be too heavy, so, they must be doing something special to the glass being so thin.

I tend to think they must mount these in a special chamber to prevent knocks/drops from shattering the glass.
we've been making stronger, tougher, thinner glass for phones for 10 years now, so i suspect the reliability from platter issues is probably an order of magnitude better than whatever IBM was doing with the deathstars back in the day.