Get A New GPU or Better Cpu?

Nick63

Jan 11, 2000

I am building a new system and have considered going for a QX9650 to ensure high overclocks to get the best video encoding speed. But it is a lot of money. I will be getting a new graphics card and have been hearing that they will do great at video encoding. If they do I could a avoid the costly cpu and just get a dual core to overclock. Does anyone know if the new graphics cards can handle encoding? If so, I think an 8500 cpu and 48570 or 280 would be best. Can someone give some insight?

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Both Nvidia and Ati have been talking for years about video encoding accelerated by the video card, but right now I've yet to see a viable solution, beyond a few demos and presentations. If you're serious about video encoding, just go with a fast cpu.

Nick63

Jan 11, 2000
"Why don't you start off with a cheaper Quad core? Say maybe a 9450."

I could do that, but I want to know about what I asked. If a gpu is not helpful for encoding, I can then decide if think extra speed is worth it to me.

Nov 26, 2005
Does anyone else know if video cards encode to help this person make a decision?

From what know, quads are better for encoding so forget about a dual. And I don't think video cards encode video file formats, I think they are done by the cpu.

Good Luck

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
The 4800 series support video transcoding 19 times faster than a Dual core CPU. You will have to get the new PowerDirector v7 software.

Except no one seems to have found whether it's actually supported yet.

OP, if you can wait until these supposed GPU video encoding things hopefully become available it might be a good idea.
In theory they can handle encoding, in practice there's no available software for it.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
The GPU companies have been promising video encoding acceleration since the x1800 series days and nothing is commercially available as of today.

That said, AT has a mini review of a new software program intended to do exactly that, but it only supports nVidia hardware right now and isn't even available for purchase yet.

I think the CUDA/CAL work is heading in the right direction for this purpose.

My suggestion to you: don't waste your money on a super-expensive cpu.

Buy a Q9450 ($325) and OC if you do a lot of video encoding.
Buy an e8400 ($190) and OC if you game a lot and do some video encoding.
Buy an e7200 ($130) and OC if you are a moderate user.

Then add either a pair of 9800GTXs (SLI board required) or a GTX 260 (both options ~$400) if you think the badaboom software looks interesting. Or get a 4870 ($300) if the PowerDirector acceleration looks more interesting.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
q6600 for 200 bucks and OC to +3GHz

8800GT for 150 bucks.

done.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
I vote for Q9450 and a Radeon 4850.

Overclock the CPU, and don't bet on GPU accelerated encoding for now. If you do a lot of video, get a RAID array.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Denithor
That said, AT has a mini review of a new software program intended to do exactly that, but it only supports nVidia hardware right now and isn't even available for purchase yet.

And even then there seems to be some controversy over the actual quality of the compressed video with the current crop of GPU encoder software.

flynismo

Jun 29, 2008
As someone else already said above....

Get a Q6600 Quad Core ($200) and do a modest OC to ~3.0 GHz or so. Spend the rest of your cash on memory.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
buying now and hoping for later is never wise when it comes to computer hardware

buy a lower end quad and overclock it, put the rest of the budget away in savings or spoil yourself on other useful parts that go along with the territory - more RAM and hard drives, perhaps even a nice hardware RAID controller...

imported_Woody

Aug 29, 2004
Yeah I just can't see the justification in buying a QX9650 unless there are no budget considerations and the rest of the system components are equally ultra high end. From a purely budget conscious consideration, the extra money spent on the QX CPU would be better invested in faster hard drives, more RAM, better video card(s), etc., or just going on vacation.