Get 2nd Medical opinion, CPS takes baby..

Nov 29, 2006
This story if accurate is very sickening. What the hell kind of country are we allowing to be built around us anymore?

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/cps-takes-baby-after-parents-seek-second-medical-opinion/

CPS Takes Baby After Parents Seek Second Medical Opinion

A Sacramento couple is without their 5 month old baby after Child Protective Services sent in the police to forcibly remove the child from their care.
A hearing is scheduled for Monday, April 29, 2013 on the incident which was triggered when Anna Nikolayev and her husband Alex took baby Sammy out of Sutter Memorial Hospital and sought a second opinion at Kaiser Permanente, a rival hospital, for Sammy’s flu-like symptoms.

Anna and Alex were concerned about the quality of care baby Sammy was receiving at Sutter where he was admitted nearly two weeks ago. At one point, Anna questioned the antibiotics Sammy was being given and was alarmed that the nurse administering the treatment didn’t know why the child was receiving them. Anna claims that a doctor later said that Sammy should not have been receiving the medication.
When doctors began discussing the possibility of heart surgery, the parents decided to leave without a proper discharge in order to have the child examined elsewhere.
“If we got the one mistake after another, I don’t want to have my baby have surgery in the hospital where I don’t feel safe,” Anna said.
She added, ”We went from one hospital to another. We just wanted to be safe, that he is in good hands.”
While at Kaiser Permanente, the police showed up at the request of Sutter. The police told the parents that staff at Sutter had told them that the child was in such a bad state that, as Anna put it, “they thought that this baby is dying on our arms.”
After the police saw that baby Sammy was fine and examined medical records that clearly stated that Sammy was clinically safe to go home, they left.
The attending doctor at Kaiser said, “I do not have concern for the safety of the child at home with his parents.”
The next day, police came to Alex and Anna’s home.
Alex met them outside and was slammed against the wall and pushed to the ground.
His keys to the home were forcibly removed from him and the police entered the house to take the baby.
Anna’s home video of the incident shows police entering the home.
“I’m going to grab your baby, and don’t resist, and don’t fight me ok?” a Sacramento police officer is heard saying in the video.
News10 of Sacramento spoke with police on the situation and were told to talk to Child Protective Services. CPS said little about the case, only saying on Thursday, April 27 that the child was taken due to severe neglect. CPS spokesperson Laura McCasland said, ”We conduct a risk assessment of the child’s safety and rely heavily on the direction of health care providers.”
No additional details were provided.
Sammy is currently in “protective custody” at Sutter Memorial Hospital. Hospital officials refused to comment saying the case was with CPS and law enforcement and they would have to deliver a statement.
Alex sums up the situation well.
“It seems like parents have no right whatsoever,” he said.
Indeed.
Parents are increasingly becoming irrelevant when it comes to decisions regarding their children’s medical care. Jodi and Scott Ferris experienced a similar traumatic event when they questioned the Hep B vaccination for their baby at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. Their baby was also taken by CPS.
The moral of this story? Tick off doctors and nurses at a hospital and they could very well sic CPS on you – with police breaking down your door in short order.
Think long and hard before taking your children to the hospital my friends. Once you go through that door, the medical decisions about your child are no longer within your control.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
That is some serious bullshit right there. We are talking worthy of going extremely hostile bullshit.

Even worse is the child is now receiving care at the hospital the parents specifically took the child from due to their incompetence without ANY consent or knowledge from the childs parents. It would be absurdly difficult for me not be "temporarily insane" enough to attempt to forcibly remove my child from that situation.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I wouldn't disagree with anyone here, assuming we have the whole story. However, I have a feeling there's more to it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't disagree with anyone here, assuming we have the whole story. However, I have a feeling there's more to it.

You're right, we're not living in a police state. State agencies for the "welfare" of children are NOTHING like the Stasi.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Sounds like hospital number 1 wants to get the money for treating the kid one way or another....

In any case, if the story above is accurate I feel like the parents are gonna get a settlement out of this....

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
That is some serious bullshit right there. We are talking worthy of going extremely hostile bullshit.

Even worse is the child is now receiving care at the hospital the parents specifically took the child from due to their incompetence without ANY consent or knowledge from the childs parents. It would be absurdly difficult for me not be "temporarily insane" enough to attempt to forcibly remove my child from that situation.

Were this my kid, I'd be temporarily insane enough to shoot the cops trying to enter my home...no due process (if the article is accurate.)

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
CPS Sacramento is one of the most incompetent in the nation. Children have died because of their gross incompetence which include falsifying records and doctor visits.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
CPS Sacramento is one of the most incompetent in the nation. Children have died because of their gross incompetence which include falsifying records and doctor visits.

Seriously? Why hasn't the state or the fed gotten involved? Falsifying documents strikes me as something that would have brought down the hammer on them. Hell, why do the cops help them?

In this article, did the CPS actually have the force of the law, or did the parents have the right to say "vacate my property you are trespassing"?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Seriously? Why hasn't the state or the fed gotten involved? Falsifying documents strikes me as something that would have brought down the hammer on them. Hell, why do the cops help them?

In this article, did the CPS actually have the force of the law, or did the parents have the right to say "vacate my property you are trespassing"?

A Grand Jury even stated in its report that children are danger because of CPS.

What is horrid though is the law shields employees who falsify records, even resulting in a child death cannot be prosecuted for any crime. The law shields them from such thing.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Were this my kid, I'd be temporarily insane enough to shoot the cops trying to enter my home...no due process (if the article is accurate.)

I dunno, thought about that for a few moments. The cops usually show up in situations like this with overwhelming force and the element of complete surprise. I can't think of a single realistic way to avoid them taking the kid, given the fact they went there knowing they would be taking it, without getting myself dead and not changing the outcome. Sort of like "shock and awe", by the time you realize whats happening it is done. As soon as they leave the situation changes entirely.

But perhaps you are right, maybe there would be something that I could do but I damn sure hope that I never in my life find out.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I imagine that when the CPS has cops go to take a kid they have the force of law. ie, if there is a child abuser abusing his/her kid the cops can come and take the kid and they cannot be told "no". The issue is that in this case it seems to have been an absurd overstepping of authority.

I do wonder if a judge has to see and sign off on such action, though, or if the CPS can simply direct police to take a kid. A warrant or legal document from a judge should certainly be required imo.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
A Grand Jury even stated in its report that children are danger because of CPS.

What is horrid though is the law shields employees who falsify records, even resulting in a child death cannot be prosecuted for any crime. The law shields them from such thing.

Please do elaborate

Especially concerning your implication that an entity can be grossly negligent which directly causes the death of a child and not be prosecuted for said gross negligence. Its not that I don't believe you, I would just like to see exactly what you are talking about.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Sounds like hospital number 1 wants to get the money for treating the kid one way or another....

In any case, if the story above is accurate I feel like the parents are gonna get a settlement out of this....

I seriously doubt this is about money on the hospitals part.....

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I dunno, thought about that for a few moments. The cops usually show up in situations like this with overwhelming force and the element of complete surprise. I can't think of a single realistic way to avoid them taking the kid, given the fact they went there knowing they would be taking it, without getting myself dead and not changing the outcome. Sort of like "shock and awe", by the time you realize whats happening it is done. As soon as they leave the situation changes entirely.

But perhaps you are right, maybe there would be something that I could do but I damn sure hope that I never in my life find out.

I personally have a policy of "don't open the door to cops. Ever." That would stop the assholes at the door, I think. Certainly though I doubt shoving a guy to the ground and grabbing his keys FROM him is not something permissible.

But like IrishScott says, another reason to avoid CA like the plague.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
CPS in every state is terrible. they dont' fucking care about the kids. There is little to no oversight (no money for it anyway) and there are reports of them getting paid for adoptions. wich leads to taking kid away for any bs reason.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
CPS in every state is terrible. they dont' fucking care about the kids. There is little to no oversight (no money for it anyway) and there are reports of them getting paid for adoptions. wich leads to taking kid away for any bs reason.
CPS have to justify their jobs. That's why every time they get a "client" they go all out. In most cases it has nothing to do with kids. It's all about the entire system, thousands of people live off it.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Sad story full of jack booted thugs. It's a shame, obviously there needs to be reform.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
God damn that's unfuckingbelievable.

Time to move the fuck away from Sacramento.

Nov 8, 2012
God damn that's unfuckingbelievable.

Time to move the fuck away from Sacramento.

California is THE liberal nation next to New Yorkistan of daddy government knows whats right - and in this case - it knows whats right for you medically.

Anyone whom has ever been through surgery, or been to just about any dentist - knows they will poke and prod you to get as much bullshit money out of you and the insurance as possible. The dentist case stands out the most - it took us going to 4 different dentists to find the right one. Each one said something different related to "needing to get something done" - the final one said "What are you talking about? Your teeth are fine and healthy". "Shopping around"" medically is VERY sad, but it's something that often MUST be done. When you get a hold of that damn good doctor that you know and trust, don't let go.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Hey, didn't we already have that wench Harris tell us that people should stop seeing kids as belonging to their parents and just understand that they belong to society? This is just a logical extension of that thought, the (liberal) state obviously knows best, why not cut out the middle man and just have the state directly take kids and make sure they get the proper "care"?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Don't blame state for this. Parents took baby with proper discharge. All kinds of legal issues involved. Auto notification of CPS probably kicked in