German IT Distributor Publishes AMD+Intel Roadmaps: Z490, Z390, 8-Core CFL in Q4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Q4.png

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I agree 8 core coffee lake will be great, but it really would be coming kind of late to the party. It should have released along with the 8700K. AMD has 2700X out already and Zen 2 is going to be better. Intel better hope their high clocks and ring bus can carry them. Its going to get fun later this year and into 2019, and what we will get for our money next year and moving forward should be nothing short of stunning compared to the much slower Intel HEDT chips we've been stuck buying...and those $400 quads...LOL. Yeah those days are so over. Thank GOD.
And AMD Z490? That's just aggressive marketing and pretty badass to be honest. They are going for the throat here IMO and Z490 does sound new and improved over Z390, and guess what? It will be improved with more PCI-lanes based on the rumors, so bam there it is. Z490 + R7 2800X to combat Z390 + i7 9700K. I think we know the Intel chip will be a little ahead and maybe more in games, but that has been the case and that difference remains relative as we keep getting more cores and more clock speed for our money. We keep winning no matter what brand we buy.
Intel must still just be in denial and totally pissed off though since they can no longer get away with selling the same $400 quad core over and over again. Bummer.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm not sure why everyone is arguing about how to get the TDP down on the 8 core. The z390 chipset is launching around the same time so the 8 cores are probably just going to require a new motherboard and up the power requirements at the same time.

The AMD z490 had a leaked slide was listed here around April:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61576/amds-beefed-up-z490-chipset-teased-more-pcie-lanes/index.html

I think I'm going to wait until June and see what that brings for IOMMU groups. June isn't far away now!

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Everyone is excited about this 8 core chip, but dual channel memory does become a bottleneck at a certain point; that's why Intel's HEDT have such staying power, triple and quad channel ram.

I really don't see this getting sold for a few dollars more than the 8700K, there is going to be premium that forces reviewers to compare it to X299.

If you don't nitpick power usage, X58 still has legs.

Tech Yes City - i7-8700K Vs. 6 Core X5675 - The Best USED CPU vs The Best New CPU in 2018 (WITH SHOCKER...!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skV9exEDM3w

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
According to the screenshot they will be CFL-s meaning they will be laptop CPUs probably running at 15-25W TDP,if it's even a true leak.
I don't know, does this automatically mean that they will release them as desktop CPUs as well?
Current laptop CPUs are 4c/8t so going immediately to 8c/16 seems like a huge stretch,maybe they will be low TDP 8/8 CPUs only for laptops?

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
New Everyone is excited about this 8 core chip, but dual channel memory does become a bottleneck at a certain point; that's why Intel's HEDT have such staying power, triple and quad channel ram.

But Quad comes with a tax in memory latency as well. And honestly DDR4 once north of 3000 has amazing BW, that is plenty for most apps. Of course Intel is more vulnerable to BW deficit because their vector units have more througput, but does that really matter for "desktop" and "workstation".

I'd say the real limiter is the size of 1 ring with all those core / L3 slices. While 8 is fine and was done before, 10 could probably start running into uncore bw and latency limits. ( but then again, these days enthusiasts are running 4.5+Ghz uncore clocks on 8700K, rather ridiculous to compare that to Sandy era rings? )

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Reviews show Ryzen and 8700K to have bandwidth around 45gb/sec which is somehow the same speed as my quad channel setup. That seems fast enough for desktop stuff to me, although I can't figure out why my quad channel is the same speed as dual channel stuff. Oh well.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Everyone is excited about this 8 core chip, but dual channel memory does become a bottleneck at a certain point; that's why Intel's HEDT have such staying power, triple and quad channel ram.

So Ryzen 8 core is fine with dual channel DDR4 but Intel will be bottlenecked? How does that work?

What about when AMD moves to 12 cores, possibly for Zen 2? The AM4 platform won't suddenly gain more memory channels...

I think dual channel DDR4, especially at higher frequencies, is plenty of bandwidth still.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
So Ryzen 8 core is fine with dual channel DDR4 but Intel will be bottlenecked? How does that work?

What about when AMD moves to 12 cores, possibly for Zen 2? The AM4 platform won't suddenly gain more memory channels...

I think dual channel DDR4, especially at higher frequencies, is plenty of bandwidth still.
Different architectures and different workloads require different amounts of bandwidth. For AVX512 for example even quad channel can easily bottleneck you on Skylake-X.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Different architectures and different workloads require different amounts of bandwidth. For AVX512 for example even quad channel can easily bottleneck you on Skylake-X.
Fortunately, we're not going to crunch HPC stuff on out client systems.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
This AMD trolling with the chipset names needs to stop, the only thing it does is confusing people both the ones that sells the stuff and the ones that buy it.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Which might be applicable if CFL actually supported AVX 512. It doesn't, so that's a moot point.

Are you implying that, for desktop and mainstream usage, that moving from 6 to 8 cores will see poor scaling due to bandwidth limitations?

If anything, from what I've seen, it seems AMD has the biggest gains from faster memory, not Intel.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If this mysterious Intel 8 core chip is actually Cannon Lake, it will support AVX512.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
Which might be applicable if CFL actually supported AVX 512. It doesn't, so that's a moot point.

Are you implying that, for desktop and mainstream usage, that moving from 6 to 8 cores will see poor scaling due to bandwidth limitations?

If anything, from what I've seen, it seems AMD has the biggest gains from faster memory, not Intel.
Nope, my point is that saying X channels or X bandwidth won't be enough is silly. There is no set number.