Geraldo Given the Boot

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SickBeast
I still think it's a bad idea to have all these media people "embedded" into military units. There is no upside to having them there.
It's great PR when things are going very well as in the beginning of the war. Not so good when things slow down. ;) Things are (relatively) slow now.
rolleye.gif

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Geraldo is not a reporter in the true sense of the word. He's a sensationalist and egotistical muckraker who thinks he's definitely all that and a bag of hand grenades.

Par for the course for Fox News

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Maybe Geraldo was lying to fool the Iraqi's. Who watches Geraldo's reports anyways? I haven't seen that guy on tv for like a year or two.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: jagr10
Maybe Geraldo was lying to fool the Iraqi's. Who watches Geraldo's reports anyways? I haven't seen that guy on tv for like a year or two.

All of the Fox Newzians set their watch by Geraldo's broadcast. He's on Fox, he must be awesome!!!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: jagr10

All of the Fox Newzians set their watch by Geraldo's broadcast. He's on Fox, he must be awesome!!!
Nobody, but nobody wants that assclown! Geraldo of "the left" was added for balance, like Colmes is there to balance Hannity. Fred Barnes and Morton Kondracke frequently differ with Brit Hume. I've seen E.D. Hill seriously play devils advocate for the left POV.

Good riddance to Rivera. He'll probably join his left wing buddy, Arnett on that tabloid now.

I'd like to know who might be suggested to replace that tool? Since CNN is heading for the dumper, maybe one of their whining, limp wristed, liberal boys or dour, pouty faced little girls.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
Has FOX had anything about it on TV?
Last night they were still saying Geraldo was "Staying" . . . it was really short and they were "toned done" a bit compared to their usual (lack of) style . . .

INFO within the HOUR:
April 1, 2003 | NEW YORK (AP) -- The Pentagon said Tuesday it is asking Fox News Channel to remove Geraldo Rivera from a posting with U.S. troops in Iraq where he was accused of disclosing unauthorized information.

"We have asked that he be removed and we are working with them to make that happen," Lt. Col. Dave Lapan said. He said the network had agreed.

Fox News Channel executives did not immediately return calls seeking comment Tuesday.

Earlier, Rivera had dismissed reports that he had been ejected from Iraq for revealing tactical information about the 101st Airborne Division.

Rivera, Lapan said, was put with his unit as a "short-term embed," meaning the military agreed he could go for a couple of days.

Fox's rivals, CNN and MSNBC, both reported Monday that Rivera had been kicked out of the country.

Shortly thereafter, Rivera delivered a report via satellite phone saying he was 60 miles from Baghdad. Rivera labeled reports of his ouster "a pack of lies" spread by his former colleagues at NBC, or as he put it, "some rats at my former network."

"The war among the press is about as intense as the war in Iraq," Fox prime-time host Bill O'Reilly said in a telephone interview.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery

Fred Barnes and Morton Kondracke frequently differ with Brit Hume.

Yeah but Fred Barnes always goes further to the right to the right of Brit Hume who is fairly conservative himself, although when he is hosting he does occasionally play the devils advocate role. The only time that show has any balance is when Juan Williams is on. Besides I just can't take Kondrake seriously after years of watching him get imitated by Kevin Nealon of SNL.

I've seen E.D. Hill seriously play devils advocate for the left POV.

Someone has to, 3/4's of their guests and contributers are conservative. If she didn't, it would just be a republican circle-jerk.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard
Has FOX had anything about it on TV?

I haven't seen anything on TV or online. "Fair and Balanced" my ass. My respect for Fox News has dropped 20 degrees below zero.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Zipp
Hey Geraldo just said he hasn't been kicked out and it was probably just rumors from msnbc . He's deeper inside of Iraq than he has ever been sice it has started.

I suppose he'll be cracking the secret of Saddam Hussein's vault any time now.

BWA HA! I can see it now:

"And, here we area. Just outside the doors of Saddam's massive bunker system. Through these doors are where I believe we will find all of Saddam's WMD. Not just Anthrax and VX but stores of Ricin and possibly some plutonium, as well. I feel very confident that the world is about to witness an incredibly historic event."

<door creaking>

<Geraldo entering a dark, cavernous room>

<Geraldo points a flashlight at something in a corner...then...suddenly....the room lights up>

A big April Fool sign all lit up in neon and Geraldo staring blankly into a camera.

LOL

:D:D:D:D:D:D

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bUnMaNGo
wtf he's back?

Yeah, he's back, sort of. I think it was Sunday evening where I saw him reporting from Kuwait. He talked about the incident that got him kicked out of Iraq, and he admitted that he screwed up and released information he shouldn't have. But I guess the guys from the 101st didn't mind seeing him, they gave him some good interviews.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: weeber
Originally posted by: bUnMaNGo
wtf he's back?

Yeah, he's back, sort of. I think it was Sunday evening where I saw him reporting from Kuwait. He talked about the incident that got him kicked out of Iraq, and he admitted that he screwed up and released information he shouldn't have. But I guess the guys from the 101st didn't mind seeing him, they gave him some good interviews.

I read they also gave him stink palms.

swifty3

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Everytime I hear his name, this mental image of a huge brawl with skinheads breaking out on his show, and then the pictures later of him with a broken nose after getting hit with a metal folding chair.

What a jackass.