Geraldine Ferraro speaks the truth. The Obama campaign lashes out at her.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20.../usvotedemocratsracism

Obama fury over Clinton backer Ferraro's race remark

Barack Obama's White House campaign lashed out in fury Tuesday after a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter attributed his stunning march through US politics to his race.

Obama aide Susan Rice called for Clinton to fire Geraldine Ferraro, the only woman yet to run on a major party's presidential ticket, after her comments Friday to a Los Angeles newspaper.

"That's a really outrageous and offensive comment," Rice said on MSNBC television after Ferraro, who sits on Clinton's finance committee, had said: "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position."

"It is the sort of comment that we have heard repeatedly, I'm afraid, from some of the Clinton surrogates," said Rice, Obama's leading adviser on foreign policy.

Clearly what Ferraro said was the truth. Obama is getting 80 percent of the black vote. If anyone really believes its because his policies are so pro-black, or so in tune with the black community and that its not due to his race, well, they are a liar or an idiot.
Without such huge numbers of black voters he would have been out of the race long ago.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
just like the only reason Ferraro was on the ticket was her gender
Which she has admitted on numerous occasions.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Of course the media will soak up Obama's lashing out at Ferraro like it's righteous outrage.

A man, no plan, a cabal, Obama :D

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
And Hillary wouldn't be where she is if she wasn't first lady for 8 years. God forbid anyone say anything honest anymore. No white man would have split the black vote with Hillary 90/10.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk
And Hillary wouldn't be where she is if she wasn't first lady for 8 years. God forbid anyone say anything honest anymore. No white man would have split the black vote with Hillary 90/10.

Vanilla Ice would.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Clearly what Ferraro said was the truth. Obama is getting 80 percent of the black vote. If anyone really believes its because his policies are so pro-black, or so in tune with the black community and that its not due to his race, well, they are a liar or an idiot.
And Hillary gets the over 40 female vote...both Hillary and Obama have support from demographics that historically feel left out of the political process, and are supporting their respective candidates for that reason.

For one side to point this out about the other side is irrelevant.

Can you imagine the "outrage" if McCain made such a comment? His campaign would be dead in the water, taken out by a political correctness lynch mob.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
YAYYYY for the race card from the Clinton camp... again!

This is just a little friendly reminder from your friends, the Clintons... "Remember boys and girls, Obama is black!"

bah... The Clintons have absolutely no class at all... none. :thumbsdown:

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
"That's a really outrageous and offensive comment." Rice said on MSNBC television.

I don't agree with that. It's neither that outrageous or offensive, though I do think it's wrong. If a WASP that is Obama's age gave the same speech he did a couple of years back, he'd be in the running right now too.

"It is the sort of comment that we have heard repeatedly, I'm afraid, from some of the Clinton surrogates," said Rice, Obama's leading adviser on foreign policy.

To me, that's the more interesting statement. The Clinton campaign is waging a low-intensity war to try to erode the tide Obama is being carried on, and they're not above making snarky remarks about race to do it. Ferraro's remark, to me, is a carefully crafted statement meant to convey the message, "Obama's nothing special. You just like him/pull for him because he's black."

It's a pretty big insult to a rather remarkable man (this coming from a moderate who's not at all in love with his policy bent, but appreciative of his intellect) to say he wouldn't have amounted to much but for the colour of his skin. Are they factoring in the difficulties a black man likely faces in getting into politics to begin with? Or does only the successful part matter in this little drive-by smear?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position."

QFT :thumbsup:

I for one am glad that the Democratic party is officially recognizing "reverse racism" in this country.

A white guy just can't get ahead anymore, constantly held down by the black man etc.

This, of course, is proof positive that the Clinton camp, if elected, will work hard to tear that monumental injustice most commonly known as "affirmative action" etc.

To do otherwise would be stunningly hypocritical. Hillary would never ever do that, be hypocritical I mean. Hypocricy is a foreign and abberant concept to the proud tradition of Clinton polititions.

Note: proper usage of this post requires readers' sarcasm meter be in good working order, otherwise cranial damage resulting in serious injury or even death could occur.

Fern

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Susan Rice is also one of Obama's foreign policy advisers who claimed that neither Clinton nor Obama is ready to take the 3am call. Clinton says she is ready. Obama's adviser apparently believes he is not. After the Nafta incident with the Canadian government, the Power statement about not relying on promises he made as a candidate regarding troop withdrawal, what does Obama believe in other than change and hope?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Susan Rice is also one of Obama's foreign policy advisers who claimed that neither Clinton nor Obama is ready to take the 3am call. Clinton says she is ready. Obama's adviser apparently believes he is not. After the Nafta incident with the Canadian government, the Power statement about not relying on promises he made as a candidate regarding troop withdrawal, what does Obama believe in other than change and hope?

I heard a slightly different take on it.

It's that the kind of calls that come at 3 AM are precisley the ones you can't always anticipate and thus be prepared for.

Rather, you need good judgement and insticts, not coaching etc.

Fern

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: techs

if i had a vagina, maybe i could be Obama's VP

Then there's still hope.

now that is FUNNY! i don't care who you are that was funny

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Obviously it has helped. I don't take offense at the comment or even care about it. I don't know why this person would say it. It seems a dumb thing to say given how fragile many people's feelings are these days.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

I for one am glad that the Democratic party is officially recognizing "reverse racism" in this country.

A white guy just can't get ahead anymore, constantly held down by the black man etc.

This, of course, is proof positive that the Clinton camp, if elected, will work hard to tear that monumental injustice most commonly known as "affirmative action" etc.

To do otherwise would be stunningly hypocritical. Hillary would never ever do that, be hypocritical I mean. Hypocricy is a foreign and abberant concept to the proud tradition of Clinton polititions.

Note: proper usage of this post requires readers' sarcasm meter be in good working order, otherwise cranial damage resulting in serious injury or even death could occur.

Fern

:laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

if i had a vagina, maybe i could be Obama's VP

Then there's still hope.

I LOL'd.

Man, I think that's even sig-worthy :thumbsup:

Fern

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.
Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

The 'problem' with the Obama-black-thang is that he won Iowa (which has roughly a 2% black population). People like him.

82.5%+ of the USA has moved beyond race and gender. I couldn't care less about it - just like I couldn't care less about Larry Craig's sexual preference or HRC's tax returns.

It's well past time to put an end to ""gotcha"" politics. It sucks when Clinton does it. It sucks when Pabster does it. It sucks when Obama does it. It sucks when the Republicans do it. America's tired of it.

The problem is - it works. And you have no other choice but to send out a surrogate to respond in kind. It's politics of the 'lowest blow under the belt' you can get away with.

You want to 'energize your base' and suppress the base of your opponent. Tear down your foe and hope in the process your lowest common denominator exceeds that of your opponent.

It's a crappy way to run a railroad. And these days it's fueled by an endless stream of 'punditry' from useless talking heads ... and internet posers

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that she would bring this up, seeing as how Clinton is more obviously dependent on genetics. If she were not a female, wife of Bill Clinton, she would be practicing law somewhere calling 12-year-old rape victims liars in public and not be second place in the race of the Democratic nomination.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Didn't Ferraro run on a Presidential ticket once before? How'd that go?

The problem with negative campaigning, like the Clinton camp is doing, is that you pull down both you and your opponent. You just hope to pull down your opponent more than you. The problem here is that this is still the primary, and McCain and the Pubs are sitting back and laughing their asses off at how Team Clinton is handing the election to them on a silver platter.