Geotagging GPS for Nikon guide

Ribersen

Feb 24, 2011
For geotagging, there are several GPS devices to choose, like Germanm, Columbus, Eztag, Nikon-GP-1, Jobo, Foolography, etc I chose the Easytagger for my D300 and have been quite happy with it.
Reasons:

1) Has its own battery, but will use the camera's battery once if its own gets used up (takes a full day of shooting for that).
2) If you go inside all of these devices can lose sat contact. The Easytagger will tag the photo with the last know coordinates (ie, just outside the building) rather than nothing at all.
3) It comes with a pass through wired remote (and optional wireless remote...relatively cheap). Remember, these devices occupy the 10 pin connector on the camera so if you've been using a remote through it, you have a limitation with some of the other GPS systems. For landscapes it nice to be able to use GPS AND a remote trigger.
4) It comes with a little elevation device so as not to block use of the pop up flash when sitting in the hot shoe. None of these devices HAVE to be in the hot shoe (they don't make use of any connection) but if they are not there they either dangle or you have to attach them to the strap.
5) It will, if desired, record your position every 10 seconds, whether you take a shot or not. At the end of your day/trip you can easily recreate the path you took on google maps. This capability also allows you to use this data to tag photos from ANY camera. Just synch the time. It's not automatic like on the camera its attached to but can be useful. While I lug around the D300 my wife uses a Canon S90. At the end of the day it's fairly easy to tag her photos with the path data.