Georgian girl speaks the truth about Georgia and Russia

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: fallout man
LOL.

Color me surprised if the girls "don't know where they are or what" extended family is being held at gunpoint until she goes on Big American TV to say what she was told.

"...I didn't really see any bombs, but... I just want to say that Great Russia is very kawai! Thnx. Also, that Georgian guy is really bad, ok?"

Puh-lease.

I want to see any... any evidence that there are 2000 martyrs for Great Russia who died in the face of evil Suckass-shvilli. So far, there isn't any. Conversely, the media that has dared to go into Georgia proper has footage of all kinds of bullshit being done on behalf of Mother Russia and the goons they freely let in to loot, rape, and pillage.

I'm sure that Russian propaganda TV can afford cameras and reporters, so why aren't they showing any evidence of Georgian atrocities in SO? It's not dangerous anymore, since the Russian peacekeepers are fully back in charge, right? So far, all we're getting is hearsay--hearsay just as valid at this innocent little mouthpiece's spiel.

Ummm, you do realize that the people that live in that region don't like Georgia, right? They are pro-Russia so it is perfectly understandable for them to say something like that. If Fox News was smart they would've gotten some Russians from Gori on television as opposed to the renegade province.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
Russia bad - check
US good - check
MD in Poland good - check
Iraq imminent threat - debatable, hindsight is 20/20
Mushroom cloud - ?
Iran evil - check check
North Korean EVIL - CHECK CHECK CHECK x11ty gazillion
Communists evil - check
Liberals evil - debatable, if they are still liberal on every issue knowing all the facts and consequences, then yes they are evil, but most liberals i know are just ignorant fools
Free market good - check
Corporate tax evil - check
Clinton's fault - check

This is what happens when you watch too much Fox News. The truth is almost never this black and white.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Dari
LOL.

Color me surprised if the girls "don't know where they are or what" extended family is being held at gunpoint until she goes on Big American TV to say what she was told.

"...I didn't really see any bombs, but... I just want to say that Great Russia is very kawai! Thnx. Also, that Georgian guy is really bad, ok?"

Puh-lease.

I want to see any... any evidence that there are 2000 martyrs for Great Russia who died in the face of evil Suckass-shvilli. So far, there isn't any. Conversely, the media that has dared to go into Georgia proper has footage of all kinds of bullshit being done on behalf of Mother Russia and the goons they freely let in to loot, rape, and pillage.

I'm sure that Russian propaganda TV can afford cameras and reporters, so why aren't they showing any evidence of Georgian atrocities in SO? It's not dangerous anymore, since the Russian peacekeepers are fully back in charge, right? So far, all we're getting is hearsay--hearsay just as valid at this innocent little mouthpiece's spiel.

Ummm, you do realize that the people that live in that region don't like Georgia, right? They are pro-Russia so it is perfectly understandable for them to say something like that. If Fox News was smart they would've gotten some Russians from Gori on television as opposed to the renegade province.

That is rather funny :) I've read that during a referendum help during the late 90's that 98% of south ossetians voted for independence from Georgia; I take it Fox News wasn't aware of that.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: JS80
Russia bad - check
US good - check
MD in Poland good - check
Iraq imminent threat - debatable, hindsight is 20/20
Mushroom cloud - ?
Iran evil - check check
North Korean EVIL - CHECK CHECK CHECK x11ty gazillion
Communists evil - check
Liberals evil - debatable, if they are still liberal on every issue knowing all the facts and consequences, then yes they are evil, but most liberals i know are just ignorant fools
Free market good - check
Corporate tax evil - check
Clinton's fault - check

This is what happens when you watch too much Fox News. The truth is almost never this black and white.

You took him seriously, were you injured during the process?

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
LOL.

Puh-lease.

That is rather funny :) I've read that during a referendum help during the late 90's that 98% of south ossetians voted for independence from Georgia; I take it Fox News wasn't aware of that.

Hence, my point.

They put this girl and her aunt on TV thinking that they are "independent, fair-and-balanced eyewitnesses."

Considering that they cut those two trolls off short, I'm beginning to think that perhaps Faux News is more aware of the smell of bullshit than I previously thought. That's sad for FNN.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
LOL.

Puh-lease.

Hence, my point.

They put this girl and her aunt on TV thinking that they are "independent, fair-and-balanced eyewitnesses."

Considering that they cut those two trolls off short, I'm beginning to think that perhaps Faux News is more aware of the smell of bullshit than I previously thought. That's sad for FNN.

Your point makes no sense.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Fox News Control room
News Director: WTF did she just say?? CUT TO COMMERCIAL! CUT TO COMMERCIAL!!

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

How so?

This girl is an apparent eyewitness to the atrocities of Georgian onslaught, and she's an American. Being American, and being featured on an American news channel, the viewers are given the impression that what she says is unbiased truth in regard to a conflict far-far-away.

She does not make the case for any atrocities beside her statement that she "heard some bomb noise and went to hide in a basement." She then "never saw any bombs, but she just wants to say that she ran from the Georgians; Russians are GR8 BTW THX."

She is also, obviously, has South Ossetian background. There is nothing wrong with that, but given that all eyewitness accounts from SO so far smell like blatant propaganda, her American background does not give her any more credibility when she goes off on a propagandist tirade.

Yes, they are pro-Russian. Read some popular Russian-language news on this conflict, and enlighten me as to how they are not all blatant blind propaganda. The girl's and her aunt's tirade did not fall far from that tree.

My point, in case you are dense: The girl and her aunt are not impartial eyewitnesses to the conflict. They are more than likely driven by the anti-Georgian sentiment and political aspirations shared by their close relatives. Giving weight to their statements as anything more than clear propaganda is foolish.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

How so?

This girl is an apparent eyewitness to the atrocities of Georgian onslaught, and she's an American. Being American, and being featured on an American news channel, the viewers are given the impression that what she says is unbiased truth in regard to a conflict far-far-away.

She does not make the case for any atrocities beside her statement that she "heard some bomb noise and went to hide in a basement." She then "never saw any bombs, but she just wants to say that she ran from the Georgians; Russians are GR8 BTW THX."

She is also, obviously, has South Ossetian background. There is nothing wrong with that, but given that all eyewitness accounts from SO so far smell like blatant propaganda, her American background does not give her any more credibility when she goes off on a propagandist tirade.

Yes, they are pro-Russian. Read some popular Russian-language news on this conflict, and enlighten me as to how they are not all blatant blind propaganda. The girl's and her aunt's tirade did not fall far from that tree.

My point, in case you are dense: The girl and her aunt are not impartial eyewitnesses to the conflict. They are more than likely driven by the anti-Georgian sentiment and political aspirations shared by their close relatives. Giving weight to their statements as anything more than clear propaganda is foolish.

..true enough, but if that's the common view amongst South Ossetians, it seems that getting rid of the Russians doesn't exactly constitute "liberating" them. If the SO people view the Russians as "liberators", it's probably because it is true.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

How so?

..true enough, but if that's the common view amongst South Ossetians, it seems that getting rid of the Russians doesn't exactly constitute "liberating" them. If the SO people view the Russians as "liberators", it's probably because it is true.

In my opinion, SO and Abhazia can reap what they sow with regard to falling under Russian control. They are suckers if they think that they will be treated as anything but subhumans. This is Russia's history in dealing with the subjugates, and these folks will be in for a surprise once again. If you want a parallel--ask someone white enough in Texas whose daughter wed a Mexican.

"Pootie," does not give a flying fuck about the separatists in Georgia. He is hardly a bleeding-heart humanitarian (more like ex-KGB, mass-murdering, torturing, subjugating scum-of-the-earth sneaky fucker). If you think this is about liberating SO from Georgian opression, you are sadly mistaken. This is a) a land grab and b) dick-waving contest between Pootie and the West.

The East Germans were really glad to have been liberated. :roll:
Just as glad was pretty much every country who could jump the fucking ship after the fall of USSR. Russia fucking sucks, and they have a vicious superiority complex that routinely dumps shit on your head when you are under their influence. No country or people with any sort of decency would voluntarily sign up for that kind of treatment.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

How so?

In my opinion, SO and Abhazia can reap what they sow with regard to falling under Russian control. They are suckers if they think that they will be treated as anything but subhumans. This is Russia's history in dealing with the subjugates, and these folks will be in for a surprise once again. If you want a parallel--ask someone white enough in Texas whose daughter wed a Mexican.

"Pootie," does not give a flying fuck about the separatists in Georgia. He is hardly a bleeding-heart humanitarian (more like ex-KGB, mass-murdering, torturing, subjugating scum-of-the-earth sneaky fucker). If you think this is about liberating SO from Georgian opression, you are sadly mistaken. This is a) a land grab and b) dick-waving contest between Pootie and the West.

The East Germans were really glad to have been liberated. :roll:
Just as glad was pretty much every country who could jump the fucking ship after the fall of USSR. Russia fucking sucks, and they have a vicious superiority complex that routinely dumps shit on your head when you are under their influence. No country or people with any sort of decency would voluntarily sign up for that kind of treatment.

I disagree. This is not a Chechan(sp) situation. Well, except for how Georgia tried to reinforce its' control of SO.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

I disagree. This is not a Chechan(sp) situation. Well, except for how Georgia tried to reinforce its' control of SO.

What do you disagree with?

This is very much a Chechnyan situation, except that Georgia was lucky enough in timing to have the world's eyes fall on it during the first few days of conflict.

Do me a favour--really read up on Chechnya. After you do, tell me how the killing a quarter of the population of a separatist region is justified in order to not even seal a victory. Russia needs to meet the black kettle, and introduce itself with regard to this latest conflict.

Chechnya is an absurd atrocity which has gone on before the eyes of the world for years. It's nowhere near being compared to this minor Russian "infraction," but it started all the same.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

What do you disagree with?

This is very much a Chechen situation, except that Georgia was lucky enough in timing to have the world's eyes fall on it during the first few days of conflict.

Do me a favour--really read up on Chechnya. After you do, tell me how the killing a quarter of the population of a separatist region is justified in order to not even seal a victory. Russia needs to meet the black kettle, and introduce itself with regard to this latest conflict.

Chechnya is an absurd atrocity which has gone on before the eyes of the world for years. It's nowhere near being compared to this minor Russian "infraction," but it started all the same.

Chechnya - breaking away from Russia
South Ossetia - breaking away from Georgia

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

So it's fair game to have both separatist regions clubbed to death? I feel a disconnect here...

BTW: over a quarter million died in Chechnya. Choke on it, as any decent human being should.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

So it's fair game to have both separatist regions clubbed to death? I feel a disconnect here...

BTW: over a quarter million died in Chechnya. Choke on it, as any decent human being should.

Where did I say that separatist regions should be clubbed to death? Chechnya was an atrocity, but Russia's incursion into South Ossetia is an entirely different situation. In fact, Georgia's incursion into South Ossetia is more potentially like a Chechnya situation as their motivations are similar to Russias in regards to Chechnya.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

How so?

My point was Fox was expecting one thing and got another. They smelled bullshit, it turned on them, they saw it and try to end it. You and I both know that Fox was expecting an anti-Russian rant and got something else and they went to commercial. Stop being so easy on the propaganda wing of the Republican Party.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

My point was Fox was expecting one thing and got another. They smelled bullshit, it turned on them, they saw it and try to end it. You and I both know that Fox was expecting an anti-Russian rant and got something else and they went to commercial. Stop being so easy on the propaganda wing of the Republican Party.

This I agree with. Why are we having an argument? It is a mystery. <3 <3 <3

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You gave Fox News, a dirty news organization if ever there was one, too much benefit of the doubt. NEVER EVER EVER trust them!!!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I think you tools pay way more attention to Fox News than any of us Rightwingers.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: JD50
I think you tools pay way more attention to Fox News than any of us Rightwingers.

You have to. That's where most of America gets its news. To dismiss them would be stupid.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

At least they don't whack-off to it, unlike you Rightwingers (WITH A CAPITAL YARRR).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

You gave Fox News, a dirty news organization if ever there was one, too much benefit of the doubt. NEVER EVER EVER trust them!!!
Irrespective of topic this is a good take-home message for everybody.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

At least they don't whack-off to it, unlike you Rightwingers (WITH A CAPITAL YARRR).

Ummm...have you seen some of the hotties on FNC??? At least we aren't whacking off to Obama like Chris "I feel a tingle in my crotch" Matthews. :p

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

You have to. That's where most of America gets its news. To dismiss them would be stupid.

Doubtful. I'm beginning to believe that the majority of FNC viewers are just foaming at the mouth liberals looking for some material for their next message board post.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Doubtful. I'm beginning to believe that the majority of FNC viewers are just foaming at the mouth liberals looking for some material for their next message board post.

I don't have cable tv but I check their news website to read some of the comments. The people there are an interesting lot.

EDIT: Oh, and their stories are incredibly bias, but sometimes fair.