Georgia man living in trailer claims 270 Million dollar lottery jackpot

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I find it funny that people assume that since the guy lives in a trailer he'll blow all the money or that he's "trailer trash". I wonder who's getting the last laugh?

the "lottery curse" isn't just a myth. it happens all the time. people assume it will happen based on past history, not just because he lives in a trailer.

Neal Boortz always says, "People who are poor continue to make decisions that make them poor. People who are rich continue to make decisions that make them rich." There's probably some truth to that.

However I'm not going to judge anyone for living in a trailer. I did it for a short while and honestly I'd do it again if I had to. It was under unusual circumstances but if I found myself having to decide between a nice apartment or a trailer on a good-sized plot of land, I'd choose the latter. I hated apartment living.

There's a Confuscianist or Taoist belief (not sure which) that if you were to pool all of the world's money and redistribute it by giving everyone $100, those that were wealthy before the redistribution will eventually end up with the majority of the wealth, whereas those that were poor will be so once again.

The concept isn't unique to eastern philosophy, either.

Not to say that this man isn't someone without the capability to invest properly and was imply lacking the means to get started, but a lifetime of poor decisions (if that is the case) are not going to be cured by sudden wealth--those problems generally become larger.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Originally posted by: destrekor
a LOT of the people who buy lottery tickets are people who maybe spend $5 per week on tickets. And a majority of the people who were likely in this latest round of the lottery likely only purchase tickets when the jackpot is high. You'll get a lot of people who see the advertised jackpot over a couple hundred million, and say, well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks.

Are you saying it's sometimes worth playing the lotto? Odds of winning are astronomical. And the media just makes you feel "well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks."

It may not be worth it, but sometimes it's just fun to gamble a couple of bucks every few months. It's really just the entertainment value. I'm not sure I'd want to win the big jackpot... unless I could keep it a secret from everyone.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: yovonbishop
The sad part is that it'll probably get spent unwisely and he'll be broke again within X years.
I'm not sure how you could even blow through all that money.
I know of a few ways.

Multiple gold plated mansions?

Buying gold would at least be a safe investment.

How would it be any more or any less safe than equity?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
Gotta love those Georgia folks in trailers paying their idiot taxes to fund my education. I guess one of them has to get paid every now and then so the rest keep buying =).

Probably best to exchange the dollars for something as fast as possible, hehe.

it's the greatest thing states came up with. Funds their schools quite easily, and every now and then they gotta give out some money to people. But in the end they reap from it. Good for them. :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The sad part is that it'll probably get spent unwisely and he'll be broke again within X years.

Follow GWB's example?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Originally posted by: destrekor
a LOT of the people who buy lottery tickets are people who maybe spend $5 per week on tickets. And a majority of the people who were likely in this latest round of the lottery likely only purchase tickets when the jackpot is high. You'll get a lot of people who see the advertised jackpot over a couple hundred million, and say, well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks.

Are you saying it's sometimes worth playing the lotto? Odds of winning are astronomical. And the media just makes you feel "well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks."

It may not be worth it, but sometimes it's just fun to gamble a couple of bucks every few months. It's really just the entertainment value. I'm not sure I'd want to win the big jackpot... unless I could keep it a secret from everyone.

That's exactly my point. It's definitely not feasible to enter the lottery, as your destined to fail before you even hand over your money for the ticket. BUT, that's the point of gambling. Get a little entertainment out of a few bucks, expect to lose, and you might get lucky. You likely won't. The whole point is having the expectation to lose. People who get addicted to it have the expectation to win, and that's the problem.

Or they get lucky with a few numbers matched, get a couple bucks, and repeat a couple of times. Now they get in the mindset that hey, I can guess a few numbers correctly without much difficulty. Now I need to keep playing so I can finally match all of the numbers one of these times! And thus the addiction begins. That or play $5 every other week or when the numbers get real high. Sure, over a lifetime you'll spend some money if you never win, and you probably won't... but there's a lot of things that in the end, if we look back and say we never spent it we could have so much more money. It's called enjoying the time right now. Now, if your gambling away your savings or retirement, that's your failings and don't blame anyone else. If you have pocket change that you spend every now and then for the entertainment but still have a plan for the future... then you're gold and your doing it right. :)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Josh
why the hell is it that the winning ticket is always bought by a hick whos poor and purchases the ticket at a store that no one goes to- it's absurd :|

Because most of us realize the statistics involved in winning the lottery - the hick doesn't. What you're not reading about is the hundreds of thousands of hicks that are buying the tickets and not winning :p

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Well, at least he's titillating the economy.

Not necessarily, Georgia uses its lottery income to fund public education (specifically K12 programs and college tuition waivers, unlike every other state where the money goes to school boards that squander it). Ultimately that money would have been spent one way or another.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I find it funny that people assume that since the guy lives in a trailer he'll blow all the money or that he's "trailer trash". I wonder who's getting the last laugh?

Have you really not read about how many people win the lottery, squander the money over a few years, and then have to go back to work as a normal person when they're broke? It happens regularly. It doesn't matter whether you're trailer trash or not.

Generally people living in trailers aren't as smart (obviously this isn't always the case, it's a stereotype that is usually correct). A smart person would invest at least several million so that you could live very comfortably on the interest. Most people who live the lottery never even consider doing that.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
Originally posted by: hdeck

the "lottery curse" isn't just a myth. it happens all the time. people assume it will happen based on past history, not just because he lives in a trailer.

Neal Boortz always says, "People who are poor continue to make decisions that make them poor. People who are rich continue to make decisions that make them rich." There's probably some truth to that.

However I'm not going to judge anyone for living in a trailer. I did it for a short while and honestly I'd do it again if I had to. It was under unusual circumstances but if I found myself having to decide between a nice apartment or a trailer on a good-sized plot of land, I'd choose the latter. I hated apartment living.

well tech bubble and sub prime show the rich can be pretty stupid and greedy as well.

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig
I know of a few ways.

Multiple gold plated mansions?

Buying gold would at least be a safe investment.

QFT:thumbsup:

I hope he makes a good investment and is able to be prosperous for the rest of his life. I also hope he helps others in the process:)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sheee-oot! He kin afford him a dubl-wide!
Dag-nab it...some peeple got all the luck...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Well, at least he's titillating the economy.

Not necessarily, Georgia uses its lottery income to fund public education (specifically K12 programs and college tuition waivers, unlike every other state where the money goes to school boards that squander it). Ultimately that money would have been spent one way or another.

Yes, they kick over lottery money to education and cut previous education funding because now it's getting money from the lotto.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
High-Risk investments don't pay out for most, but when they do the returns on initial investment is huge. Best to diversify into Lower Risk investment vehicles, but a small bit of pocket change in High Risk is fun once in awhile.