Georgia man living in trailer claims 270 Million dollar lottery jackpot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhill
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
You can take the man out of the trailer but you can't take the trailer out of the man.

My uncle that has no dept, makes 60k a year ( I am not saying he is rich) has 45k in savings at least and has at least $250,000.00 in his company's stock.

Some people like not paying a ton of property taxes I guess. Some people don't mind it. Granted it's not some cramped trailer park but he doesn't mind it.

Don't judge someone because they live in a trailer. At least not everyone.

:shocked:

Diversify...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Who DOESN'T live in a trailer here? Just kidding of course, but trailers aren't little camper things like most imagine... most are just pre-built homes without foundations that were made elsewhere, split into multiple parts to fit on the streets for their original move, and placed where they remain stationary as a fully-built house for as long as a house would.

The typical rural neighborhood is a mixture of houses and double-wide/triple-wide trailers and you have to get up and investigate them to tell the difference. Everyone else lives in apartments, planned-community homes, fancy antique houses, and so-on.

It's clear to me that "trailer" was mentioned on CNN and elsewhere just to evoke the wrong image... like that "thing" you see at the end of Monsters Inc (where "Randall" is mistaken for a gator).

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Nice. It would be really hard to burn through $270million, although what's left after Taxes? Even at 50%(for eg), it would be difficult, but he probably has family he'll split it with into "blow-through" sized chunks.

What I don't get is how people can "blow" so much money and not have anythingleft. I mean...is someone with 150 million in the bank REALLY financing any of his purchases?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: yovonbishop
The sad part is that it'll probably get spent unwisely and he'll be broke again within X years.
I'm not sure how you could even blow through all that money.
I know of a few ways.

Multiple gold plated mansions?

Buying gold would at least be a safe investment.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: altonb1
Nice. It would be really hard to burn through $270million, although what's left after Taxes? Even at 50%(for eg), it would be difficult, but he probably has family he'll split it with into "blow-through" sized chunks.

What I don't get is how people can "blow" so much money and not have anythingleft. I mean...is someone with 150 million in the bank REALLY financing any of his purchases?

First I'd say it likely doesn't happen as much as we think, we just hear about it when it does happen. There are certainly ways to do it though, like seriously bad investments or grossly over estimating what that kind of money can buy. Every Bank, Investor, shiester on the planet is going to try and convince what to do with that money. Often their ideas will plain suck.

I think the secret to not blowing your money is to not get caught up in a lifestyle change. It is undoubtedly going to change your Life and what you do with it, but just because you won the lotto and as rich as Clooney or other Wealthy celebrity doesn't make you on par with those people. Forget the Fame and Adoration, be content with Wealth and continue to Budget carefully.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
People who win the lottery and become broke are just plain fucking utterly retarded.

It's upsetting, really.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: altonb1

With today's gas prices, I'm sure he'll go broke really fast LOL.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
You can take the man out of the trailer but you can't take the trailer out of the man.

My uncle that has no dept, makes 60k a year ( I am not saying he is rich) has 45k in savings at least and has at least $250,000.00 in his company's stock.

Some people like not paying a ton of property taxes I guess. Some people don't mind it. Granted it's not some cramped trailer park but he doesn't mind it.

Diversify...

no sh!t:Q

unless he already has and 250k is spending money...

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I find it funny that people assume that since the guy lives in a trailer he'll blow all the money or that he's "trailer trash". I wonder who's getting the last laugh?

the "lottery curse" isn't just a myth. it happens all the time. people assume it will happen based on past history, not just because he lives in a trailer.

Neal Boortz always says, "People who are poor continue to make decisions that make them poor. People who are rich continue to make decisions that make them rich." There's probably some truth to that.

However I'm not going to judge anyone for living in a trailer. I did it for a short while and honestly I'd do it again if I had to. It was under unusual circumstances but if I found myself having to decide between a nice apartment or a trailer on a good-sized plot of land, I'd choose the latter. I hated apartment living.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
The sad part is that it'll probably get spent unwisely and he'll be broke again within X years.
I'm not sure how you could even blow through all that money.
I know of a few ways.

Yeah, me too! Hell... just trying to build a home worthy of being shown on MTV's "Cribs" would probably blow through half of those post-tax winnings.

If that doesn't work, you can always just get a bigger yacht or private jet!

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
The sad thing is that every single distand relative, 4th cousin, and friend from elementary school is going to be giving him sob stories on why they need him to loan them money. Lotto winners don't only go broke by spending, they go broke giving it all away to family and friends due to pressure.

If I were him, I'd give each of his immediate relatives (parents, siblings, and children) a one-time gift of $250,000 then immediately change his phone number and move out of the country. I'm totally serious.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
He's going to buy a golden trailer, fill up his missing teef and get a lifetime supply of Skoal and finally marry his sister at a nicer church.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Lottery winners go broke by taking a lump sum.
You probably get the same amount-ish with lump sum or yearly payments, but there's less chance to blow it all in one go, and almost $1mn/mo should be plenty.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Kirby64
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I find it funny that people assume that since the guy lives in a trailer he'll blow all the money or that he's "trailer trash". I wonder who's getting the last laugh?

I'm not saying that because I assume he's "trailer trash". I've seen accounts in the past where many average people get the money who aren't used to having it and spend it unwisely rather than making sound financial decisions. Many people, trailer-dwellers or not, don't know very much about finances. If I got the money, I'd want to go out and blow it too, but hopefully I'd be smart enough to make some investments, etc, before it was all gone.

QFT. In addition, the people who buy lottery tickets regularly REALLY don't manage money well(they blow it on lotto tickets), so they basically will end up taking their $180 mill (lump sum I assume) and blowing it on the most extravagant crap. Also, don't forget the 21467827824 relatives coming out of the woodwork to get their share.

He's just going to go back to his old ways again, that's how the majority of them go.

you really wanna go with that?

a LOT of the people who buy lottery tickets are people who maybe spend $5 per week on tickets. And a majority of the people who were likely in this latest round of the lottery likely only purchase tickets when the jackpot is high. You'll get a lot of people who see the advertised jackpot over a couple hundred million, and say, well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo
You probably get the same amount-ish with lump sum or yearly payments, but there's less chance to blow it all in one go, and almost $1mn/mo should be plenty.

word
but foo will take lump sum

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: destrekor
a LOT of the people who buy lottery tickets are people who maybe spend $5 per week on tickets. And a majority of the people who were likely in this latest round of the lottery likely only purchase tickets when the jackpot is high. You'll get a lot of people who see the advertised jackpot over a couple hundred million, and say, well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks.

Are you saying it's sometimes worth playing the lotto? Odds of winning are astronomical. And the media just makes you feel "well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks."

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Depending on your state, and the state of the economy (available interest rates,) either the lump sum or the yearly payments might be a better value. The thing to keep in mind is that the lump sum is less because it's the present value of the jackpot, whereas what they advertise is the future value of the jackpot (at the end of the ~20 years payoff.) If you choose the yearly payment plan, you're basically locking in an interest rate on the "present value." It's guaranteed by the state, so it's an incredibly secure investment.

IIRC the state's interest rate usually runs between 6-9%. A lot of people can do better investing the lump sum themselves.

Of course, a lot of people invest their lump sum in hookers and blow, and wind up with nothing, so YMMV.

Have a good one, you effin' scumbag. ;)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN

Are you saying it's sometimes worth playing the lotto? Odds of winning are astronomical. And the media just makes you feel "well what the hell, might as well enter with a few bucks."

Over at ar15.com, we call the lottery the stupid tax, or the "bad at math" tax. :D

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Gotta love those Georgia folks in trailers paying their idiot taxes to fund my education. I guess one of them has to get paid every now and then so the rest keep buying =).

Probably best to exchange the dollars for something as fast as possible, hehe.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Diversify...

no sh!t:Q

unless he already has and 250k is spending money...
IMO one should reserve financial judgment until the kitchen table talk is over.
You have ZERO real information and a lot of ego information here.
My guess is OP doesn't have a real clue as to how that stock came into being, if it's options yet exercised or what exactly.

or how to spell DEBT. I mean the P key is way over ---->there the B key down over there<--- :D

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN

Over at ar15.com, we call the lottery the stupid tax, or the "bad at math" tax. :D

Ever listen to Adam Carolla Show? This is a favorite rant of his.