Georgia & illegals- self ownage

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In case you aren't familiar, I had a successful civilian career as an IS department manager prior to joining the military (taking a ~65% base pay cut.) I joined so that I'd have a chance to participate in what I feel will be viewed as my generation's war. And also to put to rest some of the calls of "chicken hawk" here in these forums. I think your figure for military personnel deployed is way off. There's around 100,000 military members in Afghanistan alone. And while most of them are not in combat jobs, the nature of insurgency is that the combat has a way of coming to you. But I don't want to get off on a tangent, my point is that I've worked in the civilian sector, I still provide services to my old employer, and I intend to work exclusively as a civilian again.

Well, you're right about one thing- I misplaced the decimal point. Counting Guard & Reserves, the US has 2.2M troops, with ~100K deployed in Afghanistan.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Ummm, you really signed up partly because someone called you names on this forum?

Well I was extremely hawkish before I joined, compared to my more moderate hawkishness now, so I felt compelled to put my money where my mouth is, as it were.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/27/us-immigration-georgia-idUSTRE75Q5ZZ20110627

Looks like a federal judge is going to save Georgia from its own stupidity.

Idiot judges continuing to block the states efforts to deal with the illegal immigration problem, same crap happened in Arizona. Chased a lot of the illegals out prior to the what was left of the bill going into effect though, so that's something.

More states are going to continue to attempt to deal with illegal immigration if the Federal government continues to do nothing. Hopefully, Georgia will simply ignore the disconnected judge and enforce the law. A law, which should be noted, isn't anything more than federal laws on immigration.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insi...on-decision-overrated-says-plaintiffs-lawyer/

In the aftermath of Monday’s decision by U.S. District Judge Thomas Thrash to block, at least temporarily, key provisions of Georgia’s new immigration law, Attorney General Sam Olens tried to look on the bright side.
“[E]ven after this ruling, 21 of the 23 sections of HB 87 will go into effect as planned. My office plans to appeal the court’s finding that Sections 7 and 8 of the law are preempted,” Olens said in a quickly issued news release.