Georgia Anti-Evolution Group Surrenders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Amused
As usual, the fanatical religious right loses. A great day for students and education in that district, to be sure.

I wonder when these people will give up?

They had to back down, many Colleges in Europe and the rest of the world would no longer accept students from Georgia because they lack "Science".

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That evolution and gravity exist is not theory, but fact. How they work exactly is where theory comes into play.

Well said man, well said.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
I never understood the big deal with these stickers. The wording was accurate. Evolution IS a theory. So is gravity. And all education should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered. We certainly don't want science to become the unquestioned dogma their religion is.

That evolution and gravity exist is not theory, but fact. How they work exactly is where theory comes into play.

These stickers are intended to place doubt on the scientific process itself.

Doubt and questioning is exactly how the scientific process works. It's not an unquestioned faith-held dogma like religion.

The process itself. Not it's theories or proofs, but the process itself.

I don't understand how instructing students to apply the scientific process is an attack on the process itself.

Things are not always intuitive. IMO the unintended consequence of this book labeling (had it been allowed) would have been a stronger acceptance and understanding of science by the next generation. They would have questioned science and found that it held up under questioning. Then they would have turned to religion to do the same and found that it would not hold up.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Crono
I never understood the big deal with these stickers. The wording was accurate. Evolution IS a theory. So is gravity. And all education should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered. We certainly don't want science to become the unquestioned dogma their religion is.

Doubt and questioning is exactly how the scientific process works
. It's not an unquestioned faith-held dogma like religion.

That's what I was always taught in science classes, as well as a general principle. Don't ever believe something blindly, but ask questions, test the hypothesis/statements made, and, if they hold true keep them. If not, discard or revise.

And btw, the Bible does not ask for unquestioned faith. It encourages those who read it to test and see if the Word is true, especially in terms of life application.

True, the Bible doesn't ask for unquestioned faith. But most religions do.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Crono

Doubt and questioning is exactly how the scientific process works
. It's not an unquestioned faith-held dogma like religion.

That's what I was always taught in science classes, as well as a general principle. Don't ever believe something blindly, but ask questions, test the hypothesis/statements made, and, if they hold true keep them. If not, discard or revise.

And btw, the Bible does not ask for unquestioned faith. It encourages those who read it to test and see if the Word is true, especially in terms of life application.

True, the Bible doesn't ask for unquestioned faith. But most religions do.
Too true. If the Bible told me to kill all people who don't believe, I would say "sayonara, Jesus!". But thank God it does not say that :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It amazes me that religious people get their panties in a bunch over science. In science class you learn about science...not god. Deal with it.

Trell

Oct 28, 2003

Thats why we need to push for Intelligent Falling to be taught in schools along with the Theory of Gravity.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Evolution is not a theory. It's a process that we know occurs. Gravity is not a theory either. There are theories that explain gravity and evolution.

The problem with the sticker is that it undermines science teaching. It has nothing to do with dogma any more than any other branch of science. Did they put a sticker on the calculus book stating that L'hopital's Rule is not the only rule?

How about we put similar stickers on Bibles, since churches recieve federal funding now.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
As usual, the fanatical religious right loses. A great day for students and education in that district, to be sure.

I wonder when these people will give up?

They had to back down, many Colleges in Europe and the rest of the world would no longer accept students from Georgia because they lack "Science".

Um, care to back this up?

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Tom
I would expect a good text book to explain within it's pages the nature of scientific knowledge, that it isn't absolute, but is more a consensus based on observation.

Correct and once one find a single piece of evidence that we can test that disproves evolution, we'll drop it.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Tom
I would expect a good text book to explain within it's pages the nature of scientific knowledge, that it isn't absolute, but is more a consensus based on observation.

As opposed to "because God... and the bible!".

:thumbsup: to a win for species advancement and religious freedom. It's become way too rare the past six years or so.