George Zimmerman escapes justice again

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
FORNEY, Texas - George Zimmerman, the former Florida neighborhood watch leader cleared of all charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, was pulled over for speeding in North Texas on Sunday, CBS DFW reports.

According to the station, Zimmerman was armed when officers pulled him over on Highway 80 in Forney, east of Dallas.

The officer reportedly did not recognize Zimmerman, who was driving a Honda pickup. Zimmerman told the officer he was armed and was then told to put the weapon in his glove compartment, according to the station. The officer then told Zimmerman he could go on his way if he had no criminal issues.

The incident was captured on the officer's dashcam.

At some point during the traffic stop, Zimmerman asked the officer whether he recognized him from television and the officer said he did not, the station reports.

When asked where he was going, the 29-year-old Zimmerman reportedly told the officer, no place in particular. He was released on a warning.

Zimmerman had been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. His acquittal prompted rallies nationwide calling for a civil rights probe, and the case has sparked debate about race and self-defense laws.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...en-stopped-for-speeding-in-texas-report-says/

When will this man face justice for his continued disregard for the law?():)

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Perhaps he was looking for a new place to live. Don't blame him.

Dare him to check out Nevada. OJ wishes he had that one back, I'm sure.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
In the other thread someone suggested he might be headed to Ted Nugent's ranch.

I think that's actually a strong possibility, and I hope it's true.

Nugent most likely made some pretty sizable donations to the defense fund and offered GZ the opportunity to decompress there away from prying eyes after the verdict.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
OP, Texas is an open carry state, and your car is also covered under the castle doctrine for open carrying of a loaded firearm, too. A permit is still required for a concealed carry, though.

I welcome another brother in arms with open arms. And I don't blame him a bit for leaving Fuklorida. In 30-50 years, most of it is going to be under water along with all it's overpriced real estate.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
OP, Texas is an open carry state, and your car is also covered under the castle doctrine for open carrying of a loaded firearm, too. A permit is still required for a concealed carry, though.

I welcome another brother in arms with open arms. And I don't blame him a bit for leaving Fuklorida. In 30-50 years, most of it is going to be under water along with all it's overpriced real estate.

Open carry is not allowed when it comes to handguns. The fact he has a concealed weapons permit in Florida he's allowed to do so in Texas.

http://www.texasgunlaws.org/texas-open-carry.htm

Q: Can I Open Carry in Texas (in Public)?
A: You can openly carry rifles and shotguns, but not handguns. A CHL is not needed to do this. However, you must do so in a manner not "calculated" to cause alarm; meaning you are carrying the rifle to purposely intimidate or scare people.

Q: Why Can't I Open Carry my Handgun in Texas (in Public)?
A: Texas has long had a prohibition on the open display of handguns. This dates back to the days of Cowboys in the "Wild West" era of the 1800s; contrary to public opinion.

Q: Can I Open Carry in my Car?
A: No, the Motorist Protection Act does allow you to keep a concealed handgun in your motor vehicle without a CHL, but does carry the provision that the handgun must not be in plain sight.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's Texas, I'm surprised the cop didn't try to have a quick draw competition with him.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Open carry is not allowed when it comes to handguns. The fact he has a concealed weapons permit in Florida he's allowed to do so in Texas.

Read it again, a bit more closely this time, including the parts you didn't bother to paste before. A legal exception is travel to or from HUNTING OR DIRECTLY TO YOUR RESIDENCE OR IN YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE. If this exception was not in place, nobody without a CHL could even buy a hand gun, walk to the car with it, hunt with it, practice with it OR transport it to your residence. See what they did there legally? This legal open carry handgun exception is used all the time already.

Q: Can I Open Carry on my own Property?
A: Yes, you may carry openly on property that you own or that is directly under your control.

Q: Can I Open Carry on Private Land?
A: Yes and No. You can carry openly if you are in the act of hunting or directly en route to your residence which can include a motor vehicle. You cannot openly carry on property that is not yours, even if the owner gives you permission to do so.

(unless you are HUNTING on it! This legal exception also applies to firearm practice ranges, BTW, otherwise, you could never fire your handguns at one or walk with your handgun to one without a CHL)

Q: I have a CHL, can I Carry Openly?
A: At this time the CHL only enables you to carry concealed, but there is a bill in the legislature that would allow CHL holders the right to choose to carry openly.

A: No, BUT the Motorist Protection Act does allow you to keep a concealed handgun in your motor vehicle without a CHL, but does carry the provision that the handgun must not be in plain sight.

Q: Other States allow Open Carry, Why Doesn't Texas?
A: It's a long story, but the public has only recently been able to carry handguns thanks to the passage of CHL laws in the 1990s, but there has been a large effort to get open carry passed. A bill was drafted two sessions ago that would allow CHL holders to carry openly. It passed committee but did not get any farther due to time. It was reintroduced this session, but has not progressed any further, yet.

For those of you wondering what open carry refers to it's the act of carrying a handgun (generally) that is in plain view in a holster. There is no concealment garment such as a t-shirt or vest that is covering the firearm. This type of personal carry is highly debated in the gun community and carries with it a unique series of pros and cons. Pros for open carry include, greater comfort, easier to access, and offers more choice in firearms (larger frames). Cons would include the giving up the moment of surprise, being disarmed potentially, and the general awareness that you are armed possibly making you a first target for an active shooter. A lot of this is conjecture and "what-ifs" but there's some logic behind them. Contra to some opinions the act of carrying openly can also prevent an unknown number of crimes due to a show of force, and there are holsters and tactics to greatly limit the chance of someone disarming you.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Read it again, a bit more closely this time, you know, the parts you didn't bother to paste before.

Q: Can I Open Carry in Texas (in Public)?
A: You can openly carry rifles and shotguns, but not handguns. A CHL is not needed to do this. However, you must do so in a manner not "calculated" to cause alarm; meaning you are carrying the rifle to purposely intimidate or scare people.

Q: Why Can't I Open Carry my Handgun in Texas (in Public)?
A: Texas has long had a prohibition on the open display of handguns. This dates back to the days of Cowboys in the "Wild West" era of the 1800s; contrary to public opinion.

Q: Can I Open Carry on my own Property?
A: Yes, you may carry openly on property that you own or that is directly under your control.

Q: Can I Open Carry on Private Land?
A: Yes and No. You can carry openly if you are in the act of hunting or directly en route to your residence which can include a motor vehicle. You cannot openly carry on property that is not yours, even if the owner gives you permission to do so.

Q: I have a CHL, can I Carry Openly?
A: At this time the CHL only enables you to carry concealed, but there is a bill in the legislature that would allow CHL holders the right to choose to carry openly.

A: No, BUT the Motorist Protection Act does allow you to keep a concealed handgun in your motor vehicle without a CHL, but does carry the provision that the handgun must not be in plain sight.

Q: Other States allow Open Carry, Why Doesn't Texas?
A: It's a long story, but the public has only recently been able to carry handguns thanks to the passage of CHL laws in the 1990s, but there has been a large effort to get open carry passed. A bill was drafted two sessions ago that would allow CHL holders to carry openly. It passed committee but did not get any farther due to time. It was reintroduced this session, but has not progressed any further, yet.

For those of you wondering what open carry refers to it's the act of carrying a handgun (generally) that is in plain view in a holster. There is no concealment garment such as a t-shirt or vest that is covering the firearm. This type of personal carry is highly debated in the gun community and carries with it a unique series of pros and cons. Pros for open carry include, greater comfort, easier to access, and offers more choice in firearms (larger frames). Cons would include the giving up the moment of surprise, being disarmed potentially, and the general awareness that you are armed possibly making you a first target for an active shooter. A lot of this is conjecture and "what-ifs" but there's some logic behind them. Contra to some opinions the act of carrying openly can also prevent an unknown number of crimes due to a show of force, and there are holsters and tactics to greatly limit the chance of someone disarming you.

I live in Texas, I know the guns law quite well and posted the pertinent sections concerning people having a handgun in public and in their vehicle.

Now using your bolded sections, was GZ on his property or private land? No, he was driving on a public highway so neither of those sections applied to him.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
I live in Texas, I know the guns law quite well and posted the pertinent sections concerning people having a handgun in public and in their vehicle.

Now using your bolded sections, was GZ on his property or private land? No, he was driving on a public highway so neither of those sections applied to him.

He was in his truck, and it was not concealed, and he had no excuse, as per the law on hand guns. But had he known the law, he could have said he was traveling to his residence or hunting and left it out, correct? That IS what the law states, is it not?

And I changed my post to be more specific, I was having trouble again with my browser for some reason, so please either re-quote me or dump it.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
He was in his truck, and it was not concealed, and he had no excuse, as per the law on hand guns. But had he known the law, he could have said he was traveling to his residence or hunting and left it out, correct? That IS what the law states, is it not?

And I changed my post to be more specific, I was having trouble again with my browser for some reason, so please either re-quote me or dump it.

Property is land that you own or is under your control (ie leased/rented) and not a vehicle.

GZ was properly instructed his handgun had to be out of sight in the vehicle. Most people place their handgun under their seat or in the glove box. Had the gun been laying on the seat beside him he would have been in violation of Texas law.

I wish people such as yourself would point people to site such as texasgunlaws.com so they can get the correct information rather than provide bad information that results in their arrest for gun law violations.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Property is land that you own or is under your control (ie leased/rented) and not a vehicle.

GZ was properly instructed his handgun had to be out of sight in the vehicle. Most people place their handgun under their seat or in the glove box. Had the gun been laying on the seat beside him he would have been in violation of Texas law.

I wish people such as yourself would point people to site such as texasgunlaws.com so they can get the correct information rather than provide bad information that results in their arrest for gun law violations.

I assure you, I have talked about this issue with the chief of police here before, since I am on the fire department. There is a few legal loopholes and various legal interpretations in this handgun open carry law, which is precisely why the legislature either needs to update it, or repeal it once and for all. I have directed people to various websites about it before, including this one, in fact. I guess I just need to get my CHL once they finally pass a law allowing me to open carry without legal loopholes to jump through to do it.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe I missed it by not clicking the link, but nowhere in the OP's quote does it say it wasnt concealed. GZ told the cop he was armed and the cop told him to put it in the glove box, I assume this was for the duration of the traffic stop. No law was broken.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Maybe I missed it by not clicking the link, but nowhere in the OP's quote does it say it wasnt concealed. GZ told the cop he was armed and the cop told him to put it in the glove box, I assume this was for the duration of the traffic stop. No law was broken.

I don't know what the concealed carry laws are in TX or FL, but in OK I'm told it's a requirement to, upon any interaction with an officer, to immediately state that you are carrying a concealed weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if FL is the same which would explain why he told the officer. At that point (in OK) the officer cannot take your firearm away from you (assuming it's just a traffic stop or something), but IMO it's totally reasonable that he'd request he put it in the glove box. That'd be my guess as to what happened here

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Actually some are reporting he told the police officer he had a gun in the glove box.

Recently-acquitted murder suspect George Zimmerman was pulled over for speeding in Texas and told the police officer he had a legal firearm in his glove compartment, but got off with a warning.
Fox News confirms the officer pulled Zimmerman over on July 28 in Forney, which is about 20 miles east of Dallas.
Zimmerman told the officer he had a legal firearm in his glove compartment at the beginning of the traffic stop. According to police dashcam video obtained by inforney.com, the officer asked Zimmerman where he was headed and if he had any outstanding warrants, to which Zimmerman replied "no."
The officer told Zimmerman to slow down, and he would give him a warning instead of a ticket after checking to make sure he had no warrants.
"Just take it easy, go ahead and shut your glove compartment and don’t play with your firearm, ok?” the officer said according to inforney.com.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I had the impression that the OP was pointing to how he got away with the speeding, not about the gun.... x.x

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Man with No Criminal Record Has Minor Contact with Police Over Speeding and Says He Has Gun In Glove Compartment, Resulting in No Incident, No Arrest, and Nothing to Report

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Seems like the media only wants to add fuel to this fire.

You think they would eventually pull their heads out of their asses and try reporting on actual stuff. But they just keep shoving it in further and further. Worthless fucking media.