George Bush=robber baron?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Unfortunately, your argument suggests that we must submit to a corrupt and occasionally tyranical government in exchange for protection from the corporations. Sorry, I'll pass...

Take the so-called "War on Drugs", for example. Drugs are just a plentiful, potent and affordable as ever, BUT we've sacrificed lots of freedoms for this "protection". The govt. can claim that your property was purchased with drug proceeds, seize it and sell it WITHOUT PROVING YOU GUILTY FIRST! They get the money to finance their further seizures and sales. Where do you go for recourse?

I forgot to mention in my earlier post this: What would you call an organization that forces you to pay it to protect you from is? The Mafia? Or...the government.

Govt. regulations and TAXES drive up the cost of everything and for what? To convince the people that they need all this "free" stuff or they'll die. This fear is what keeps people frightened into acceptance of what they would never admit to tolerating. It's interesting that you mentioned fuedalism, because for the most part, we aren't far removed from the serfs of that era.

We just wrapped up an Imperial Presidency that was capped off with a self-appointed Emperor drawing lines on maps and claiming properties for the Crown. Ask the people in Utah how they feel about they land being "protected". Ask the people in California how they feel to sit in the dark and have their energy bills skyrocket because of failed government policies and regulation. Ask the people of Alaske if they want the resources there tapped. (The answers a big YES and they LIVE THERE, not in the lower 48 passing judgement.)

It's very easy to say that Big Business? rules us all, but think about this, what if there were no businesses? Who would you work for and who would pay you to buy the stuff you want? Who'd make that stuff? The government?

I don't believe that runaway capitalism causes people to be left behind. PEOPLE not paying attention to their neighbors and fellow man is the root of misery. If people stopped marching on Washington, demanding that the government rob one group to give to another, and instead stayed home and took care of their own neighborhoods, we'd be a lot farther along.

I once talked to someone who told me that she voted for Democrats because they helped the poor. I asked her why she didn't give to charity and she said, "I do, but I don't think others do, so we need the government to help the unfortunate." Imagine that...a nation of people who think that no one else cares like they do, so everyone should be forced to pony up for the National Charity Drive.

The Great Society has transferred something like 5 TRILLION dollars to the poor without actually reducing the numbers of poor. And why would it? Liberals promise to give money to the poor in exchange for their votes. If people were self-sufficient, they wouldn't need to vote for these self-styled Robin Hoods. Thus, government power is the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION.

Teach a man to fish....