Genetics question: How do parents' height affect offspring height?

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Lets say you have a woman who is 6'2" tall, and a man who is 4'10" tall. They make babies.

What size are the children going to be? Will it average out, so they'll be around 5'6"... is there a dominant/recessive sequence that makes this determination? Could siblings be all across the board on final sizes?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Lets say you have a woman who is 6'2" tall, and a man who is 4'10" tall. They make babies.

What size are the children going to be? Will it average out, so they'll be around 5'6"... is there a dominant/recessive sequence that makes this determination? Could siblings be all across the board on final sizes?

I'm 6 inches taller than both of my parents. Height isn't determined solely by the parents, but the genetics of the whole family.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Flammable
i heard midgets can i have regular people

That is because they have a gene mutation causing the height disability.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm the tallest person on either side of my family, and my sister is 5'2", close to the shortest.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I'm the tallest person on either side of my family, and my sister is 5'2", close to the shortest.

And what is the height of your mother and father?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
From what I've seen, really tall mothers & average fathers, make for big kids. Short mothers with average fathers make short kids. Average mothers with short fathers make average kids. Short people stay short, while really short people make slightly taller children. Tall couples make kids a bit shorter then dad. Average couples don't deviate much from dad. Average moms with tall fathers are a crapshoot. The second kid born seems to be slightly taller then the first, with the third being made up of junk parts, could be tall or short, but ends up somewhat sickly/weak.

Just my observations.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
My mom is 5'6" and my dad is 6'0". I ended up 6'6".

I know a couple who had kids. She was 6'3" and he was 6'8". Their kids were ENORMOUS for their ages. Like huge.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Coquito
From what I've seen, really tall mothers & average fathers, make for big kids. Short mothers with average fathers make short kids. Average mothers with short fathers make average kids. Short people stay short, while really short people make slightly taller children. Tall couples make kids a bit shorter then dad. Average moms with tall fathers are a crapshoot. The second kid born seems to be slightly taller then the first, with the third being made up of junk parts, could be tall or short, but ends up somewhat sickly/weak.

Just my observations.

my mom is almost a foot shorter then my dad

Dad 6.1
mom 5.2

im 6.0 my brother is 6.2 and my sister is 5.5

alot of genetics go into it, nearly impossiable to predict, just like 2 smart people can have stupid kids and vice versa

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

And what is the height of your mother and father?

Probably about 5'9" and 5'11"
I'm 6'3"ish

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Coquito
From what I've seen, really tall mothers & average fathers, make for big kids. Short mothers with average fathers make short kids. Average mothers with short fathers make average kids. Short people stay short, while really short people make slightly taller children. Tall couples make kids a bit shorter then dad. Average moms with tall fathers are a crapshoot. The second kid born seems to be slightly taller then the first, with the third being made up of junk parts, could be tall or short, but ends up somewhat sickly/weak.

Just my observations.

my mom is almost a foot shorter then my dad

Dad 6.1
mom 5.2

im 6.0 my brother is 6.2 and my sister is 5.5

alot of genetics go into it, nearly impossiable to predict, just like 2 smart people can have stupid kids and vice versa

Your file is over here somewhere. I haven't gotten to it yet. :p

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my dad is 5'6"
my mom is 5'2"
i am 5'11"

no, i am not adopted, i have some tall uncles and some tall great uncles or whatever they are

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Mom - 4'10"
Dad - 5'4"
Sister - 5' 4"
Sister - 4' 11"

I am 6' 1" so im here to say that parents height have NOTHING to do with offspring height. Many people claim that I am either a mutant or adopted though.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Not drinking 8 glasses of milk when you're growing up has EVERYTHING to do with offspring height.

/thread

:p

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000

ask me in about five years. :D

me: allegedly five feet tall
fiance: 6'2"

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Originally posted by: akshatp
Mom - 4'10"
Dad - 5'4"
Sister - 5' 4"
Sister - 4' 11"

I am 6' 1" so im here to say that parents height have NOTHING to do with offspring height. Many people claim that I am either a mutant or adopted though.

I thought my family was odd. Mom and Dad are both 5' 6" or so. They had four sons, all of us 6' tall or above.

ItTheCow

Apr 7, 2002
I'd say that genetics doesn't determine your exact height, but rather an expected range. Nutrition is going to be the dominant factor that determines whter you''ll be at the upper or lower range of your gentic disposition.