Generating Certificates in Windows XP?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I have Windows XP Pro installed, and the latest version of AIM supports Encrypted IM. Now, to use this encrypted IM feature you must use a certificate which has the public and private keypair. Now, AIM links you to Verisign to purchase a keypair (for 15 dollars a year). I know that you can generate your own unsigned keypair for freeI also use EFS (Encrypting File System). When I made the attempt to import this keypair into AIM, it did not work (nor did I expect it to, but it was a test). Does anyone know how I can generate the correct keypair for AIM? I also have a server running Windows Server 2003 which has the Certificates Service installed. Does anyone know the correct settings for that too?

Mods, if this is considered illegal in any way, please let me know and I will rephrase. I do not believe it is because I am only wanting to generate a keypair and cert, and not try to get a free cert from Verisign or AOL.

darktubbly

Aug 19, 2002
I'm uncertain about your Win2k3 certificates, but if you just want encrypted conversations in AIM, there was a thread here dealing with free signed certificates + AIM. That, or use Trillian.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Try cacert.org

It's an open certificate signing organization / authority.

They offer email certs, ssl cert registration / generation, etc. Chances are they can set you up with a cert and keys.

Certificates are usually generated for specific purposes; i.e., you can't use an email cert to sign EAP / TLS ...

Good Luck

Scott