General Poll of opinions in P&N

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Just curious as to see the make up of this forum, sorry if this has been done before.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Prayer in schools is a bit...vague.

I voted no only because I'm for keeping the preaching out of the schools but I have no problem with, say, a moment of silence in the morning for kids for prayer.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

I voted no only because I'm for keeping the preaching out of the schools but I have no problem with, say, a moment of silence in the morning for kids for prayer.

Agreed, ive chagned it

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
Add foreign policy question:

Aggressive
Dove
Isolationist
Depends on the situation
Better options would be:

Interventionist
Protectionist
Isolationist
Depends

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Aggressive
Dove
Isolationist
Depends on the situation
Better options would be:

Interventionist
Protectionist
Isolationist
Depends

Not really. I don't see much difference. Protectionist would be mainly from an economical viewpoint. I'm talking strategically.

*shrug* Looks like the OP agrees with you. :confused:

When I used to go to elementary school, we had the pledge of allegiance which included the word "god". There were no prayers, unless you consider the pledge of allegiance a prayer. Where are you getting the idea of preaching to children in a public school?

If they preach in a religious school, like a private Catholic school, what is it your or anyone's business to tell them they can't have prayers or preach to the students?

Again, the poll question about prayer is even more vague now than before. Noone has right to tell a Catholic school that prayers or peaching aren't allowed, and most, or at least the public schools that I've attended, there were no so-called school led prayers.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Political Affiliation - registered independant. used to be a Republican.

Fiscal - I put moderate. I like some handout programs like welfare and foodstamps, because I think they do a lot of good even for people who aren't receiving the handouts directly, but I'm also pro-balanced budgets.

Social - liberal. as long as it doesn't have a large negative impact on my life, I'm generally ok with it.

Abortion - just before the third trimester. I don't think a fetus constitutes as life until it is viable outside the womb.

Gay Marriage - I'm for it. I think that marriage in society is just another legal contract, and denying two people access to this contract just based on their gender is wrong.

Prayer in Schools - sure, as long as they're not praying in an active classroom with non-praying students in the room or it's not taking place in a school-wide assembly. but if a group of kids wanted to get together before or after school hours to have a prayer group or something, I'd have no problem with that.

Flag burning - free speech.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Aggressive
Dove
Isolationist
Depends on the situation
Better options would be:

Interventionist
Protectionist
Isolationist
Depends
Not really. I don't see much difference. Protectionist would be mainly from an economical viewpoint. I'm talking strategically.
So am I. Your terms lean toward rhetoric. By Protectionist, I meant to protect the U.S. from true imminent harm or as a defensive move.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Note: Majority is social liberal and fiscally conservative.
Why don't your political parties reperesent the will of the majority?!

And who the hell voted green/other?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Stunt
Note: Majority is social liberal and fiscally conservative.
Why don't your political parties reperesent the will of the majority?!

And who the hell voted green/other?

Democrats are pretty much fiscally conservative, and I'm tired of hearing otherwise. Note the large prorportion of Democrats / liberals on this board and the high proportion of people who call themselves fiscal conservatives. I don't know any Democrats who want higher taxes or gigantic government programs. Sure, Democrats aren't into cutting taxes wildly if we need it to pay debts, but I think that's fiscally conservative (to have enough income to pay debts as they come due). We're not in the 1930s.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Well if what you say is true and dems are fiscally conservative, they sure aren't marketing themselves as such.
You cannot tell me that 51% of the country is religious right.
If the dems are in tune with what you describe, they should be winning landslides.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Stunt
Well if what you say is true and dems are fiscally conservative, they sure aren't marketing themselves as such.
You cannot tell me that 51% of the country is religious right.
If the dems are in tune with what you describe, they should be winning landslides.

Hmmm your last argument sounds a little circular and assumes voters know about the various platforms or were seriously interested in fiscal policy. But I agree that the Dems aren't marketing themselves well enough from a fiscal standpoint.

If I look at the various Democratic candidates from the last 10 years I can't really find many that were all about huge government and high taxes. Clinton's worst sin might have been an attempt at universal healthcare but this is standard in most western countries. Meanwhile, the Republicans enjoy huge military spending on unecessary wars and like pork barrel projects like the rest of the politicians. Someone recently posted here about stats that show government has grown under Republican presidents. I just haven't seen much evidence in recent history to support the claim that Republicans are truly the party of fiscal conservatism.