General diff b/t a 2 barrel and 4 barrel carb?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
lol notfred is right :)

essentially all it means is that you can squirt in more gas and flow more air through.

Apr 5, 2000
Err ok like...all a carb is is a tube that has a plate that allows air to flow in/out to mix with gas, right? a 2 barrel would have 2 tubes...4 barrel has 4 tubes?

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Yup, its all about injection these days.

Unless you wanna go old skool with the bigblocks!

:D

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< I think of them as one in the same: Obsolete. >>

There are still a lot of classic and custom road cars using carbs, and a lot of race cars. We use a Holley 4150HP Keith Dorton series 850 cfm 4 barrell on our race car.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Actually, I had a question too - what does the "bbl" mean when talkin about carbs? I know it essentially means barrels, but how does the word "barrels" shorten to "bbl"?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<<

<< our race car >>

Pics? Specs? What kinda racing? :)
>>

Pic it doesn't have the pink numbers on it anymore, we are ordering new numbers and switching to number 34. As soon as we get it done, I'll borrow my friends digital camera and snap some more pictures, inside and out, and post them.

Its called a Grand American Modified, which is a NASCAR sanctioned class. We race on oval short tracks (1/4 mile, 1/3 mile, 1/2 mile). Our car has a 355 cubic inch chevy in it with 12.5 to 1 compression, and the carb mentioned above, and puts out around 600 horsepower and 550 foot pounds of torque. We are going to build a 377 for it to get some more power, but we won't have that done until next year. :)

<< Actually, I had a question too - what does the "bbl" mean when talkin about carbs? I know it essentially means barrels, but how does the word "barrels" shorten to "bbl"?
>>

I was curious about that too, because I know bbl doesn't stand for anything, and infact is a shortened version of barrel. Here is what I found:

<< "bbl" is derived from "beer" barrels. A unit of measure for alcohol taxation (31 gal). The abbreviation was adopted by the petroleum industry despite the fact that an oil bbl is 42 gal. >>

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Heh, I was reading your post, and I saw "12.5 compression" and "355" in the same sentence, I said to myself "damn! that's gotta be a beast"...right as I stumble onto the 600HP figure :) That thing must utterly fly, it looks so light! What role do you play in the team? Do you get to do any hands on work with the engine/car? Looks like a lot of fun to be involved with something like that - good luck to your team with the races!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< Heh, I was reading your post, and I saw "12.5 compression" and "355" in the same sentence, I said to myself "damn! that's gotta be a beast"...right as I stumble onto the 600HP figure :) That thing must utterly fly, it looks so light! What role do you play in the team? Do you get to do any hands on work with the engine/car? Looks like a lot of fun to be involved with something like that - good luck to your team with the races! >>

I'm the driver. :) We have to weight 2500 pounds with the driver per rules, and 58% of that weight can be on the left side, so it is designed to turn one way. :) I do some work, and I'm trying to learn more. My dad is a mechanic by trade, so he does most of the work on the car, but I'm learning as much as I can.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I knew a guy who raced in that class, same motor a 355... GM block if I remember just like the standard usually is?, well his dad did but he did a lot of the pit and motor work with his father and now actually works for NASCAR.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
you're the driver? Lucky! :D Sounds like a blast, when I get older I wanna get involved with some amateur racing (there's a track about 40 mins from where I live, they hold a lot of those kinds of races). Hopefully you learn about engines enough to work on them with your dad, they're such an interesting thing to be around when they're opened up :)

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Most 4 barrel carbs are progressive.
That means during normal driving just the front two barrels are supplying Fuel/air, then when you mash the pedal to the floor (or you really don't HAVE to mash it ALL the way down) the second two barrels come into play (and the gas guage drops quickly).
They also make a 4 barrel called a spread bore. The main differance in those is that the second two barrels are HUGE, almost twice the size as the primarys. But they make a REALLY cool whoooooshing sound when they open! And the gas guage REALLY drop's with those suckers!! And you can get a really cool case of whiplash! :)

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I love my Rochester Q-Jet on my 86 Parisienne's 305 chevy.....TEH FUEL ECONOMY! :D

Problem is now I have a bit of a bit when I press the gas, even if just a bit.
I think it's my EGR valve leaking though; it only bogs on idle.......never anywhere else.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Three carbs (usually 2 barrels)
Six carbs (usually one barrels)

I have dual carbs (one barrels) on my car now :)

And you forgot Dual quad's

Dual four barrels :)

VAAAARRUUUUMMM

by the way, the "tubes" are called Ventures.

They are somewhat like a funnel, the air goes in and because of the funnel shape it becomes denser, then it's mixed with the fuel, goes into the combustion chamber and goes BANG.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I had a nice Holly 650 dual feed double pumper with manual choke on a offy 360 alum. intake all ready to go on my 390 small block AMC (in my 69 Javlin) Fresh rebuild on the Carb ($50 JUST for the kit, and this was back in the 70's) till some lowlife scum sucking A HOLE stole it out of my "Car Hole" (garage) :(

I'm still pissed about that!

Never even had GAS in the carb since the rebuild!! :(

And before someone call's me on this, yes I know all AMC's were small blocks, from a 290 to a 401.

The 290 I pulled out was THE BEST engine I ever owned.

Quick as HELL!!

Them short stroker's rule!!

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I actually have Quad Duels on my 66 Shelby. It is four two barrel Webber carburetors with each barrel dedicated to feeding one cylinder of the engine. It is actually quite efficient if you can keep your foot out of it.