• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

General COVID good news thread, including recoveries from COVID-19

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I know we have at least a couple docs on this board.
Emergency room doctor, near death with coronavirus, saved with experimental treatment

I wonder how many of the COVID-19 deaths, in the younger victims (<50) made be due to cytokine storms?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Reminds me of that scene in "Apocalypse Now" with the tiger. Once they've returned to the others -- the surfer, the kid from "some shithole in the South Bronx" -- the New Orleans sous-chef says "Don't get out of the boat! Never get out of the boat!"

Maybe tomorrow, I'll take the Trooper out for a spin with the new MP3 player. I'll put on The Doors -l- "The End". But I won't get out of the boat.

of course, the chef stays in the boat when they arrive at Col. Kurz's headquarters.

And then -- he loses his head.

But I look at that Asshole in the White House, and think "We've ALREADY lost our head, anyway!"

I figure they'll save all the good drugs and equipment for the young patients, and let all us old people die.

Then, Trump can spend all the social security money on his fucking wall.

And one more . . . .

Can ANYONE imagine . . . how bad things will be in six months? They say there's pressure on the US market for beef, pork, chicken, because employees are dropping like flies. Six months ago, we were all impatient yet hopeful about impeachment. Never gave a thought about toilet paper or losing our jobs.

So how's it going to play out? Like "The Last Ship"? "The Walking Dead"? Or half the people will be like the LaBianca's and Sharon Tate, and the other half will commit a massive surge in home-invasion-murders?

I think I'm going to go fix some pulled-pork-chili-verde -- before it spoils . . . Anyone for opening a 15-year-old bottle of cabernet that I've kept at 55F for all that time?

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Emergency room doctor, near death with coronavirus, saved with experimental treatment

I wonder how many of the COVID-19 deaths, in the younger victims (SIZE]
Anecdotally, many. Tocilizumab has known utility for cytokine release syndrome in CarT therapy, and it looks promising for similar clinical pictures in Covid. We put it on our protocol two weeks ago, I think it was.

Reactions: esquared
Mar 11, 2004
That's potentially troubling as that makes it sound like there might be instances where one of the things that's been scary about the flu (that there will be a strain that causes immune systems to go overboard, which makes the healthy people in the biggest danger as their immune systems essentially are what's killing them). Hopefully its just due to high exposure that caused it, but shows the danger that healthcare workers put themselves in.

Which, I believe this is why there was talk of the one drug as a treatment, as I believe its used for similar illnesses (where its immune system response that makes it debilitating). Kinda the same reason that people think they get the flu from the flu shot, as they get immune response which they associate with actually being sick. It seems like that one is just simply toxic and so suppresses immune response (which is also why its so dangerous as its toxic in general and can straight up kill you).

I'm wondering if it makes sense for people to be on an aspirin (or other low level anti-inflammatory) regimen to keep inflammation in check ahead of time. Although I wonder if that wouldn't just extend the length of being sick (in exchange for it being more mild). I've wondered the same thing with regards to fevers, where that's part of the way your body is dealing with it, and so suppressing it might lengthen how long it takes to deal with it. I'm talking more general sickness though, not severe (as severe fever definitely needs to be dealt with).

pmv

Diamond Member
May 30, 2008

I wonder how many of the COVID-19 deaths, in the younger victims (<50) made be due to cytokine storms?

Why do cytokine storms happen? I googled it and I just found "for reasons that are not completely understood".

So it's like the body keeps sending in more troops, and when they get there they imnmediately panic at the sight of the enemy, and call for reinforcements...who in turn call for reinforcements to the reinforcments...till they all get jammed up like that traffic jam on the route to Arnhem in Operation Market Garden?

But why do the stupid blighters do this? Shouldn't that sort of thing be finessed out by evolution?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Hey OP maybe we should change this thread to a general COVID good news thread.?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I little bit of news that makes me proud, The Atlantic no less

Vermont's Great Experiment

"The story of how about 70 National Guardsmen managed to transform a convention center into an alternate health-care facility in mere days shows a state community coming together to get ahead of the pandemic at a time when the federal response is faltering."

ASK THE COMMUNITY