General Clark wants government regulation of p2p

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
http://www.p2p-weblog.com/5022...nts_gov_regulation.php

8/14/2007

Clark testified "If you saw the scope of the risk, I think you'd agree that it's just totally unacceptable. The American people would be outraged if they were aware of what's inadvertently shared by government agencies on P2P networks. They would demand solutions."

Clark and Tiversa's solution? He said that industry self-regulation would not be effective and called on the House to regulate P2P and distributed computing.

hrm, maybe the general is just trying to pocket some extra cash for retirement.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
If they think they can regulate something so uncentralized as p2p, they are clearly wrong.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
What a twit. Here's a solution: Government agencies don't allow p2p on thier networks. Wow, problem solved.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Screw that guy. I already have to put up with my completely restricted computer at work (gov't job) and yes, P2P programs are not allowed on the computers, admin privelages are severely restricted, and data miners on your PC routinely scan for illicit programs. That's fine at work, albeit greatly slowing down my machine, but I'll be damned if they're going to regulate my home PC.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Triumph
Screw that guy. I already have to put up with my completely restricted computer at work (gov't job) and yes, P2P programs are not allowed on the computers, admin privelages are severely restricted, and data miners on your PC routinely scan for illicit programs. That's fine at work, albeit greatly slowing down my machine, but I'll be damned if they're going to regulate my home PC.

Troof

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
What a twit. Here's a solution: Government agencies don't allow p2p on thier networks. Wow, problem solved.

yup. why are users even able to install these programs?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
So instead of changing yourself to adapt to the way the world is, I should force the world to adapt to me. Well that seems reasonable and feasible.

If you'll excuse me, I have to write a letter to my senator. I want him to introduce a bill to force the sun to come up one hour earlier, to make it easier for me to wake up in the morning instead of buying an alarm clock.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
right idea, wrong solution. regulate on the user end by educating them and preventing them from installing said p2p programs in the first place.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
If they had their way we would have a system like china where everything goes through a national firewall.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: jjones

yup. why are users even able to install these programs?

Ignorant or rogue admins at sites. Sometimes it's a post commander or higher that gives the okay for a site's p2p use.

There are some p2p/file sharing apps that are outright banned. There are other apps that have been deemed acceptable for use. A user can request the use of the approved p2p app and the sysadmin will have to install the app.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
If they had their way we would have a system like china where everything goes through a national firewall.

The DoD does run their Unclass web access like that.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Isn't this the same general that the Libs were just wetting themselves about a couple years ago because he was slamming the Bush administration?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
That's the problem with politicians and leaders. Most are technologically clueless and advocate sledgehammer solutions to push-pin sized problems.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
What a stupid dick. (double checks to make sure I'm in OT and not PN) Yep, a dick.

Why would liberals support him? Oh yeah, they're just as mentally deranged as conservatives are.

Sorry, but he's not fit to make decisions about internet technologies..

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: manowar821
What a stupid dick. (double checks to make sure I'm in OT and not PN) Yep, a dick.

Why would liberals support him? Oh yeah, they're just as mentally deranged as conservatives are.

Sorry, but he's not fit to make decisions about internet technologies..

The good news is, he can't.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike

If you'll excuse me, I have to write a letter to my senator. I want him to introduce a bill to force the sun to come up one hour earlier, to make it easier for me to wake up in the morning instead of buying an alarm clock.

To be fair, I would support such a bill if it were possible. I hate getting up when it's early morning and everything is cold.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: PingSpike

To be fair, I would support such a bill if it were possible. I hate getting up when it's early morning and everything is cold.

I would support that bill just for the shear joy of seeing the stupified looks on their faces the morning after the bill was signed into law and the sun rose at it's normal time.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Triumph

Yup!