Gene Cernan has passed..

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The last man to walk on the moon died at 82 in a hospital in TX, he died 5 days ago, if you haven't had a chance to watch "The last man on the moon" I'd highly recommend it. He took this pic of the Taurus-Littrow valley during an EVA, still amazes me. Click to enlarge and see the LEM 4-5 miles away behind the giant boulder Schmitt is sampling.
AS17-140-21493%2BAS17-140-21497.jpg

Reactions: MongGrel

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I saw that a few days ago myself, and didn't post it.

Was surprised no one had.

Don't have it deleted.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Co-worker was trying to tell me that the moon walk was fake.

There was no "moon walk", there were six successful landings that returned 847lbs lunar rock/soil/core samples. Kick your co-worker directly in the genitalia for insulting the great men who flew dangerous missions and the amazing work engineers/production workers did designing/testing the vehicles to get the job done. Tell him to call Harvard, MIT, Berkley, Cal-tech, + hundreds more universities that tested/examined/dated Apollo lunar samples and tell them it was all "fake".

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I saw that a few days ago myself, and didn't post it.

Was surprised no one had.

Don't have it deleted.

Yea, we all probably at one time or another looked at the moon and thought how F-ing cool it must have been to actually go there and walk on it. Then the day comes and you take the gantry elevator to the top of the Saturn V and realize you are riding on 6 million lbs of propellant+oxidizer that if something went seriously wrong had the potential explosive power of a tactical nuke. Interesting Saturn V fact, all 5 main engines had to perform at rated power for at least 15 seconds or she was coming back down. After 15 seconds had elapsed enough fuel/oxidizer had been consumed that the climb-out could continue with 4 engines. Crews all knew this and that must be the LONGEST 15 seconds imaginable!.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There was no "moon walk", there were six successful landings that returned 847lbs lunar rock/soil/core samples. Kick your co-worker directly in the genitalia for insulting the great men who flew dangerous missions and the amazing work engineers/production workers did designing/testing the vehicles to get the job done. Tell him to call Harvard, MIT, Berkley, Cal-tech, + hundreds more universities that tested/examined/dated Apollo lunar samples and tell them it was all "fake".

or, just kick them in the genitalia without any further explanation, because they honestly don't deserve the clarity. It's not like they'd ever believe it, anyway.

Reactions: BUTCH1 and MongGrel

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yea, we all probably at one time or another looked at the moon and thought how F-ing cool it must have been to actually go there and walk on it. Then the day comes and you take the gantry elevator to the top of the Saturn V and realize you are riding on 6 million lbs of propellant+oxidizer that if something went seriously wrong had the potential explosive power of a tactical nuke. Interesting Saturn V fact, all 5 main engines had to perform at rated power for at least 15 seconds or she was coming back down. After 15 seconds had elapsed enough fuel/oxidizer had been consumed that the climb-out could continue with 4 engines. Crews all knew this and that must be the LONGEST 15 seconds imaginable!.

Saturn V's were ridiculously awesome, just the amount of water pumped onto the launch pad to dampen vibration so they didn't break up on lift off was crazy.

RIP

220px-Cernan_s71-51308.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Cernan

He must have been drooling during Apollo 10, just flying the lander over the moon and not touching down.

Nah, astronauts do not drool I suppose.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Saturn V's were ridiculously awesome, just the amount of water pumped onto the launch pad to dampen vibration so they didn't break up on lift off was crazy.

RIP

He must have been drooling during Apollo 10, just flying the lander over the moon and not touching down.

Of course they do; the drool is recycled for re-use, of course.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

RIP

LOL, NASA intentionally "short-fueled" the LEM on #10 and told the crew if you get ballsy and decide to land it, you will NOT have enough fuel to reach orbit and the orbiting command/service module. Worked like a charm!. Yea, they had to pump HUGE amounts of water into the "flame-trench", if your generating 7.6 million lbs of thrust there's gonna be a LOT of heat/vibration to deal with. All that power just to give the tiny LEM a shot at landing. I think this is what confuses the younger generation so much, they think that because technology has advanced so much since '72 a moon-trip should be easy. Guess they don't think it through enough to realize gravity is a constant and a MF'er to hurl a space vehicle capable of supporting life and a lander as well. Fox should have had their FCC license yanked when they aired the "did they go" documentary in '02, a slap in the face to those who worked 12-14 hrs/day overcoming the enormous engineering/production issues that arose while building/testing the hardware/software that made it all click. Anyway here's the camera mounted 15 ft away during the Apollo 11 climb-out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtVpvzUF1Y

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Co-worker was trying to tell me that the moon walk was fake.

My Bro told me his tin foil hat wearing/Alex Jones watching co-worker told him Julian Assange had been kidnapped and actively being tortured. LOL! This is an HP employe!