Genarlow Wilson - From First Class Athlete to Georgia State Prisoner

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: cliftonite
The teacher got 90 days for having sex with a student and he deservers 2 years for a bj?

He put his dick in a fifteen year old girl - of course he deserves two years. What the teacher deserves is a different topic altogether.

so if your 17 year old son had sex with his 15 year old gf, you'd say that justifies a prison term?

How about if it's with your fifteen year old daughter?

Mackie2k

May 18, 2000
www.windowsintune.com
The teacher got 90 days for having sex with a student and he deservers 2 years for a bj?

He put his dick in a fifteen year old girl - of course he deserves two years. What the teacher deserves is a different topic altogether.

so if your 17 year old son had sex with his 15 year old gf, you'd say that justifies a prison term?

I'd say she's a little slut and should know better. 15 is plenty old to know the difference between right and wrong........

17 and 15 shouldn't be illegal. The kid was railroaded because he was black, plain and simple.

If he was White, he would've never been prosecuted.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i guess people in georgia don't know about jury nullification.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

This is true, most don't. Even though judges hate to admit it, the Georgia Constitution apparently explicitly allows for, and encourages, jury nullification.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
Originally posted by: ElFenix

This is true, most don't. Even though judges hate to admit it, the Georgia Constitution apparently explicitly allows for, and encourages, jury nullification.

of course, if it was a bunch of white people convicting a black guy, they might know and not care.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: razor2025
Georgia, nuff said.

"Enlightened" California has a similar law.

It recently became possible to be charged with a felony for committing adultery in Michigan.

Stupid laws and stupid interpretations of laws aren't just limited to Georgia.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

Whether or not it's "right" or "wrong", this is the norm in high school and I don't think it justifies a prision term.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Whether or not it's "right" or "wrong", this is the norm in high school and I don't think it justifies a prision term.

So when does it? Fourteen, thirteen, twelve?

NAMBLA says it ought to be anytime the child wants it. Do you agree with that?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
I guess its OK to send our youth to far off places to kill and be killed, but getting a BJ at 17 by someone a couple of years younger warrants a lifetime label of pedophile and 10 years in jail. What a joke

exactly what I was thinking. some laws in this country are ass backwards. esp down south

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

That's a difficult question to answer, and it's one that Im not sure about. But regarding my opinion for this specific case, the only thing I find disturbing other that the prision term is the obvious lack of parental influence these kids had.

Kids enter high school at 14 I think and they leave high school at 18. It's really hard to determine what ages would be acceptable. If it was my fifteen year old daughter (I dont have kids BTW), Id be pissed off, and very dissapointed in my daughter and even in myself for not teaching her better. But I wouldnt pursue legal action against a 17 year old boy.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

wth? its not like he held her down and shoved his dick in her mouth. she wanted it.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: razor2025
Georgia, nuff said.

"Enlightened" California has a similar law.

It recently became possible to be charged with a felony for committing adultery in Michigan.

Stupid laws and stupid interpretations of laws aren't just limited to Georgia.

Wrong. The Michigan law has been on records for a long time, and nobody has been convicted of adultery since 1971.

What has happened, is an antiquated law has been brought to light. That's it.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
My only question: why hasn't the Governor pardoned him? Takes care of the problem in a matter of hours.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
My only question: why hasn't the Governor pardoned him? Takes care of the problem in a matter of hours.

I was actually wondering this also.

Jan 31, 2002
/skims thread

So what I'm seeing here is that a 17-year-old got some dome from a 15-year-old.

They're both minors. Both consenting. Hell, there was a video camera involved.

WHERE'S THE PROBLEM? :confused:

If every high school couple that got their freak on was treated like this, the streets would be empty. Pardon in Aisle Five, please. Pardon in Aisle Five.

- M4H

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
I feel sorry for the kid, and his family.

OTOH, that's the risk you take when you voluntarily impair your own judgement and put your dick into the nearest hole. Life's never been fair, and that's not gonna change now.
Wow... talk about some self-righteousness. Guess what, he was 18. The kid didn't make that decision thinking long-term. What parent tells their kid, "Now Billy, be careful, you let a girl suck you off and your life is pretty much over."????

How can you blame him? This is a small mistake, and his life is over. As a registered sex offender, he will have serious trouble ever getting a job again, and even though he was a smart kid with a bright future, he'll likely never go to college. That's fair for one blow job?

Seriously, I've seen you on here for years and I've never read anything more ignorant from you. He was EIGHTEEN! Sh1t, the kid's hormones are so high at that age, he'll gladly stick it in anything wet, you're right. If you're going to judge him for drinking and letting his judgment get impaired, then you should stop posting on here and go hand out bibles on college campuses like the rest of the bible beaters because at least 80% of high school kids drink, and most of the males in that group would have done the same thing given the same situation.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
You may also want to watch

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2821129

He says "I wouldn't take the deal now" - He says it's because of the principle of the matter. He doesn't think he's a sex offender.

It has to do with a kid with an attitude. He's getting the raw end of the deal, but sometimes you have to make smart decisions.
Yeah, but if he takes the deal, he goes back out into public and the issue goes away. If he fights it and stays in prison, there's the chance that someone in the Georgia Government that finally steps up and does the right thing, and then he can live his life WITHOUT being a registered sex offender.

I realize it's a tough choice to make, but I wouldn't want to have the "registered sex offender" label on me the rest of my life.

Jan 31, 2002

I have a 15-year-old sister, who's currently dating a 17-year-old senior in his final year, and IIRC he'll probably turn 18 before they break up. (He's going to college, it's going to happen. :p)

I informed him in no uncertain terms that legal action wouldn't be occuring; however, if I found out she was forced to do anything she didn't want to, there would be illegal repercussions of an epic level.

- M4H

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: A5
Ex Post Facto (aka retroactive) laws are explicitly banned by the Constitution - he could be granted amnesty or a commuted sentence by the governor, but that would be political suicide.
First of all, I'm surprised you know the term but don't know how it's applied. If someone did something that is NOW illegal can't be charged for something that wasn't illegal when they did it. You CAN, however, make something legal or a lesser charge retroactively.

As for political suicide, NOBODY WAS HURT! The girl and her mom admit that she was doing it consensually. She might have been hurt before the incident which led her to allow all those guys to do that to her, but this incident was something she agreed to. I'm not saying it was a good idea for him to be involved, but he wasn't forcing her to do anything. Many guys had sex with her, he just had oral sex, and yet he gets the worse punishment? So why would the public come down on the Governor?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Oh I know, we all have to blame the boys because they're just looking for a hole to stick it in. YES! THEY ARE! THEY'RE BOYS! Their hormones tell them to do that. Girls are told VERY early not to let boys touch them, and she was a willing participant in this. If it was my daughter, I wouldn't do what you would clearly do... blame everyone else there. How about taking responsibility for your own actions? If she said no and they forced her into it, I'm mad. If she agrees to it, then I'm at fault for not raising my daughter right and she's at fault for letting them do it.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002

You can argue about a "gray line" all you want, but if you think that a 2-year difference isn't close enough to justify this being acceptable, then you're just kidding yourself. Nobody is saying, "it needs to be x years at least," but we ARE all saying that 2 is a reasonable difference, and this kid doesn't deserve this treatment.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
These laws are simply ridiculous. Giving a boy 10 years in a prison, which will turn him into a hardened criminal, is so far from being appropriate punishment its hard to even fathom.
He was 17 years old! Do you really think the average 17 year old that was with a girl that could be as close to his age as 12-13 months would stop her if she tried to give him a BJ? Hell no. In his mind, they're both high school age.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
I have a 15-year-old sister, who's currently dating a 17-year-old senior in his final year, and IIRC he'll probably turn 18 before they break up. (He's going to college, it's going to happen. :p)

I informed him in no uncertain terms that legal action wouldn't be occuring; however, if I found out she was forced to do anything she didn't want to, there would be illegal repercussions of an epic level.

- M4H
Common sense FTW! Thank you M4H.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Oh I know, we all have to blame the boys because they're just looking for a hole to stick it in. YES! THEY ARE! THEY'RE BOYS! Their hormones tell them to do that. Girls are told VERY early not to let boys touch them, and she was a willing participant in this. If it was my daughter, I wouldn't do what you would clearly do... blame everyone else there. How about taking responsibility for your own actions? If she said no and they forced her into it, I'm mad. If she agrees to it, then I'm at fault for not raising my daughter right and she's at fault for letting them do it.

What responsibility does she have? SHE didn't break the law.
She may have initiated it, but he could have said no. He didn't, and now he's paying the price. That's HIS responsibility.