Genarlow Wilson - From First Class Athlete to Georgia State Prisoner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
All in all, the kid should not have let some girl whose age he didn't know suck him off. However, being that he, too, was a minor at the time, 10 years in prison is quite harsh.

Where are this girl's parents? If this 17 year old kid should be held responsible, what about her parents for letting a 15 year old girl hang out at a party like that? I'm sure they're model parents.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
some things about this country just really piss me off.
like morons in power...

And really this issue is more of... why is Oral Sex a felony, while vaginal sex a misdimeaner??
The south has got to get over this whole issue of Oral sex.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
There is no black man white girl sex issue here. That was brought up as a means to embarras the prosecutor. The problem is the law in question at the time it the offense occured. Combine that with a Georgia Supreme court which is loathe to overturn JURY decisions (they will overturn judges more frequently)

Throw in the fact that new law did not retroactively apply and we have a mess. The system is working as the law is written, not as intended. It sucks, hell I live in this state and some things that happen here make me want to move, up until I read about the same or worse happening in other states.

mrizvi66

Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
It's a shame, but you've left out a major part.

He was offered a plea deal for 5 years that would allow him the possibility of parole. He KNEW that the conviction had no chance of parole.

Further more, after being CONVICTED, they offered him a deal again! The idiot refused because he would be a "sex offender". WTF idiot. So you're going to do 10 years and STILL be a sex offender when you come out?

The other kids got out in 2 years and one of them is even in college.

He's sitting in jail because he was too stubborn to take a deal.

The law stuck it to him. He obviously doesn't deserve 10 years, but he made his own bed and now he lays in it.

Sometimes you have to be smart enough to take what they give you. He screwed himself.

Why should they let him out now? He had the choice of doing 2-5 years and would already be out.

This sums it up

"I think he's making a bad decision in the long run. Being branded a sex offender is not good; but at the same time, if it made the difference between spending 10 years as opposed to two? Is it worth sitting in prison for eight more years, and you're still gonna be a sex offender when you get out?"

If he had taken the plea deal he wouldn't have been able to live at home since he has a younger sister. If you had read the article instead of scanning it you would have know that....

Straight from the article...
Wilson refused to admit to being a child molester. If he pled to or was convicted of any charge that put him on the sex offender registry, he couldn't live at home with his younger sister. He wouldn't accept that, so he waited for his trial.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: mrizvi66

If he had taken the plea deal he wouldn't have been able to live at home since he has a younger sister. If you had read the article instead of scanning it you would have know that....[/quote]

Idiot, I read this whole article YESTERDAY, before this post.

So you'd take 10 years of prison without parole, instead of taking a plea deal that allows you to only do 2 years.

He's 17 years old. He'll be 27 by the time he gets out. He's actually 20 now, so he has 7 more years.

Does he actually plan on living with his Sister when he gets out?

Was he planning to do so at the age of 20?

He's still a SEX OFFENDER, regardless if he does 2 or 10.

My point was, he was offered a deal AFTER he was found guilty. Yet he STILL wouldn't take a deal. He knew it was 10 years!!

People are idiots. Learn to swim.

For you because you apparently can't read:

"Barker is quick to point out that he offered Wilson a plea after he'd been found guilty -- the first time he has ever done that."

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I feel sorry for the kid, and his family.

OTOH, that's the risk you take when you voluntarily impair your own judgement and put your dick into the nearest hole. Life's never been fair, and that's not gonna change now.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
I feel sorry for the kid, and his family.

OTOH, that's the risk you take when you voluntarily impair your own judgement and put your dick into the nearest hole. Life's never been fair, and that's not gonna change now.

QFT
He should've listened to his mother.

And a month or so after that final playoff game, he and some buddies were plotting a New Year's Eve bash. His mama heard them whispering in his bedroom that afternoon. She knew kids whispering usually meant trouble, so she went in and looked those boys up and down.

"Don't do anything stupid" she warned.

Underage alcohol use? Dumb.
Drug use? Dumb.
Sex with random women? Dumb.
Videotaping the whole thing? :roll:

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: trmiv
I was pretty shocked when I read that article. One of the most ridiculous thing about it is, they rewrote the law after he was convicted, but wrote it so it doesn't apply retroactively. But his case was the case that prompted the law to be rewritten in the first place. Also, down in the article it mentions that during his trial a local teacher was found guilty of sleeping with a student. She got 90 days.

Yea... The fact that they specifically wrote the law not to be retroactive blows my mind.

Ex Post Facto (aka retroactive) laws are explicitly banned by the Constitution - he could be granted amnesty or a commuted sentence by the governor, but that would be political suicide.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I guess its OK to send our youth to far off places to kill and be killed, but getting a BJ at 17 by someone a couple of years younger warrants a lifetime label of pedophile and 10 years in jail. What a joke

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: A5
Originally posted by: akshatp
I was pretty shocked when I read that article. One of the most ridiculous thing about it is, they rewrote the law after he was convicted, but wrote it so it doesn't apply retroactively. But his case was the case that prompted the law to be rewritten in the first place. Also, down in the article it mentions that during his trial a local teacher was found guilty of sleeping with a student. She got 90 days.

Yea... The fact that they specifically wrote the law not to be retroactive blows my mind.

Ex Post Facto (aka retroactive) laws are explicitly banned by the Constitution - he could be granted amnesty or a commuted sentence by the governor, but that would be political suicide.

That's not entirely true. There are certain exceptions, including when the retroactive provisions of the law would benefit affected parties. Obviously, no one's going to complain when a change in the law, retroactively applied, gets them out of prison.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: farfignugen
jesus christ what the ****** is wrong w/ this country?? Oral Sex a felony?? I thought Georgia was a state in America, not Georgia the mountanous country by Azerbaijan

Its only a crime if she under the age of 17 (16 for male). Sodomy is still illegal in Georgia though.

I don't mind the law, but I think there should be a built in flexibility, like if both are within 2 or 3 years of age of each other.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
I guess its OK to send our youth to far off places to kill and be killed, but getting a BJ at 17 by someone a couple of years younger warrants a lifetime label of pedophile and 10 years in jail. What a joke

Welcome to Jesusland!

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Bumrush99

We don't "send" anyone that didn't volunteer first. Just like Mr. Wilson did.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: kinev

Bolded for the reason....

double standard FTL.

Hey, that's not true!

The ugly ones get harsher sentences:laugh:

He is right. Look up Lauren Summers for Spalding County Georgia and see what she got. She had sex with many students of both sexes. She did a lot more that they either didnt find out about or couldnt prove too....

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: cliftonite

5 years for getting a bj? :roll:

2 Years for breaking the law. The others got parole and didn't serve 5 years.

As i said, the law sucks and he doesn't deserve it, but he did it none the less. Read much?

Note that he also admitted to underage drinking and drug use. Also on film. If they really went after him...

The teacher got 90 days for having sex with a student and he deservers 2 years for a bj?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
The teacher got 90 days for having sex with a student and he deservers 2 years for a bj?

He put his dick in a fifteen year old girl - of course he deserves two years. What the teacher deserves is a different topic altogether.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

He put his dick in a fifteen year old girl - of course he deserves two years. What the teacher deserves is a different topic altogether.

She wanted it, she initiated it, she did it... but somehow its his fault???
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Nov 5, 2001

so if your 17 year old son had sex with his 15 year old gf, you'd say that justifies a prison term?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

so if your 17 year old son had sex with his 15 year old gf, you'd say that justifies a prison term?

Or even this, your 17 year old daughter plays a recital on a 15 year old guys skin flute. Does that justify a prison term?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: sao123

She wanted it, she initiated it, she did it... but somehow its his fault???
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

He's old enough to know better.