Genarlow Wilson - From First Class Athlete to Georgia State Prisoner

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
ESPN Story

OK I know it is a long read, but you can get the main part of the story from the top 1/3 of it.

Basically, this all star HS athlete got oral sex from a 15 yr old when he was 17 and they charged him with child molestation and his life was taken away from him.

He admits that he smoked weed and drank alcohol and by his own admission was a "bad kid" but come on, 10 years for getting a BJ from a classmate??? They took the law and completely used it for something it was never written for. This guy is no model student, but he is NO WAY a pedophile.

Georgia state law at the time was that Oral Sex from a minor is a FELONY, while intercourse with a minor is a MISDEMEANOR. WTF?

Great read for those with the time to read it.

Discuss.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
The sexual predator laws in this country need to re written, My friend had his life ruined because he got a bj from a 15yr-old 2 weeks before her 16th birthday, he was 18. Her mom found out, and he had to spend his college savings on lawer fees.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
The law broken in question in this case was not written for this kind of a situation. The prosecutors/judge/legal system should be smart enough to see that.

faenix

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
sexual predators like that should get 20-25 years for the first offense, he got off light

don't be jealous because you didn't get any :disgust:

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: FoBoT
sexual predators like that should get 20-25 years for the first offense, he got off light

How is he a sexual predator again?

Yes please I would love to hear your take on this.. Did you even read the article at all?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I'm glad ESPN has shed light on this story. Hopefully the publicity will set him free.

I doubt it. This case has garnered nationwide publicity for years. I recall seeing a segment about it on Real Sports more than a year ago. I do think it's an abuse of process by the prosecutors, but hey, what do I know?

farfignugen

Nov 10, 2006
jesus christ what the ****** is wrong w/ this country?? Oral Sex a felony?? I thought Georgia was a state in America, not Georgia the mountanous country by Azerbaijan

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
This is the biggest injustice you've ever heard of? You've never heard of innocent people going to jail or prison?

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: axelfox
This is the biggest injustice you've ever heard of? You've never heard of innocent people going to jail or prison?

OK fine it wasn't meant to be taken literally... Obviously there are people that have faced bigger injustices, i was just trying to make a point.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was pretty shocked when I read that article. One of the most ridiculous thing about it is, they rewrote the law after he was convicted, but wrote it so it doesn't apply retroactively. But his case was the case that prompted the law to be rewritten in the first place. Also, down in the article it mentions that during his trial a local teacher was found guilty of sleeping with a student. She got 90 days.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: trmiv
I was pretty shocked when I read that article. One of the most ridiculous thing about it is, they rewrote the law after he was convicted, but wrote it so it doesn't apply retroactively. But his case was the case that prompted the law to be rewritten in the first place. Also, down in the article it mentions that during his trial a local teacher was found guilty of sleeping with a student. She got 90 days.

Yea... The fact that they specifically wrote the law not to be retroactive blows my mind.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005

Bolded for the reason....

double standard FTL.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: kinev

Bolded for the reason....

double standard FTL.

Hey, that's not true!

The ugly ones get harsher sentences:laugh:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: akshatp

Yea... The fact that they specifically wrote the law not to be retroactive blows my mind.

I thought there was something about that in the constitution that prohibited laws from being written retroactively...

or was that just for amendments to the constitution? i cant remember right now

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It's a shame, but you've left out a major part.

He was offered a plea deal for 5 years that would allow him the possibility of parole. He KNEW that the conviction had no chance of parole.

Further more, after being CONVICTED, they offered him a deal again! The idiot refused because he would be a "sex offender". WTF idiot. So you're going to do 10 years and STILL be a sex offender when you come out?

The other kids got out in 2 years and one of them is even in college.

He's sitting in jail because he was too stubborn to take a deal.

The law stuck it to him. He obviously doesn't deserve 10 years, but he made his own bed and now he lays in it.

Sometimes you have to be smart enough to take what they give you. He screwed himself.

Why should they let him out now? He had the choice of doing 2-5 years and would already be out.

This sums it up

"I think he's making a bad decision in the long run. Being branded a sex offender is not good; but at the same time, if it made the difference between spending 10 years as opposed to two? Is it worth sitting in prison for eight more years, and you're still gonna be a sex offender when you get out?"

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
It's a shame, but you've left out a major part.

He was offered a plea deal for 5 years that would allow him the possibility of parole. He KNEW that the conviction had no chance of parole.

Further more, after being CONVICTED, they offered him a deal again! The idiot refused because he would be a "sex offender". WTF idiot. So you're going to do 10 years and STILL be a sex offender when you come out?

The other kids got out in 2 years and one of them is even in college.

He's sitting in jail because he was too stubborn to take a deal.

The law stuck it to him. He obviously doesn't deserve 10 years, but he made his own bed and now he lays in it.

Sometimes you have to be smart enough to take what they give you. He screwed himself.

Why should they let him out now? He had the choice of doing 2-5 years and would already be out.

This sums it up

"I think he's making a bad decision in the long run. Being branded a sex offender is not good; but at the same time, if it made the difference between spending 10 years as opposed to two? Is it worth sitting in prison for eight more years, and you're still gonna be a sex offender when you get out?"

5 years for getting a bj? :roll:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cliftonite

5 years for getting a bj? :roll:

2 Years for breaking the law. The others got parole and didn't serve 5 years.

As i said, the law sucks and he doesn't deserve it, but he did it none the less. Read much?

Note that he also admitted to underage drinking and drug use. Also on film. If they really went after him...