Gen. Patreus does not know if success in Iraq will make America safer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Shivetya

Sorry, it is an illegal war. That is a fact. So no BS in it except for your denial.

What makes it "illegal"?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here cause no one seems to know that war is supposed to be declared by congress, when in fact it hasn't been. Illegal.

Oddly enough, Congress is entirely complicit in what you call an "illegal war". They've authorized and funded it every step of the way without actually "declaring war". IMO, a transparent dodge in an attempt to avoid any responsibility

A gutless bunch of bufoons who shamelessly attempt to claim that they were deceived by a Pres they call an idiot.

While Petraeus prolly could've answered the question better, his job is to focus on security and counterinsurgency in Iraq. The question IS above his pay grade. The press, specifically Chris Matthews, is making too much of this. The proper question for Petraeus is are his actions making Iraq safer in the long-term, not whether they make the US safer in the long-term. The latter question is for the Pres, some of his cabinet members and the relevant Congressional committees. Our generals are responsible for military policy, not US policy (which belongs in civilian hands).

Fern
Well said!

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
rofl at hillary saying the general's report "requires a willing suspension of disbelief"

...and the clintonisms keep on rollin' in :)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Shivetya

Sorry, it is an illegal war. That is a fact. So no BS in it except for your denial.

What makes it "illegal"?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here cause no one seems to know that war is supposed to be declared by congress, when in fact it hasn't been. Illegal.

Oddly enough, Congress is entirely complicit in what you call an "illegal war". They've authorized and funded it every step of the way without actually "declaring war". IMO, a transparent dodge in an attempt to avoid any responsibility

A gutless bunch of bufoons who shamelessly attempt to claim that they were deceived by a Pres they call an idiot.

While Petraeus prolly could've answered the question better, his job is to focus on security and counterinsurgency in Iraq. The question IS above his pay grade. The press, specifically Chris Matthews, is making too much of this. The proper question for Petraeus is are his actions making Iraq safer in the long-term, not whether they make the US safer in the long-term. The latter question is for the Pres, some of his cabinet members and the relevant Congressional committees. Our generals are responsible for military policy, not US policy (which belongs in civilian hands).

Fern
Well said!

I agree.