Geico any good?

NumbaJuan

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2003
Thinking about switching to Geico for car insurance and wanted some input. Pros & Cons

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NumbaJuan
They can save me money, but I know nothing about them.

Well... Warren Buffet, so I don't think Geico is going anywhere.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
they are only good if they can save you money. If not shop around. I've recommended ESURANCE a bunch of times already. I had them and they were great and I even had a few family and friends switch to them. Esurance handles claims very quickly and they were a lot cheaper than other insurance companies. Geico couldnt even come close to beating their rates.

NumbaJuan

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2003
Originally posted by: TwinkleToes77
they are only good if they can save you money. If not shop around. I've recommended ESURANCE a bunch of times already. I had them and they were great and I even had a few family and friends switch to them. Esurance handles claims very quickly and they were a lot cheaper than other insurance companies. Geico couldnt even come close to beating their rates.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Hmm, I am liking this esurance.com site. It says that liability only for a 2000 Ferrari F550 Maranello for me would only be $814 every six months. This is for an 18 year old with one claim on his insurance. I also selected that the car was paid off. Seems like most any other car I looked at was going to start around $790 every six months for the older cars and the newer cars were around $800.
I might have to look into them a little more as I will be moving into an apartment at the end of the semester, and will have to be paying my insurance, and this sounds better then statefarm, which my parents use.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I was wondering if it's normal for there to great differances between insurance companies for the same coverage? I'm talking about at least a grand, geico seems to have much cheap coverage for my 17 year old behind....

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I've had Geico for about 5 years.
Their roadside assistance benefits are well worth it and much much better than what you get with AAA membership.
I've had to have cars towed about 5 times. Once, it was a 50 mile tow and it cost me nothing.

But I've never had an accident claim with them so I can't comment on how they are with claims.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Shop around. If you are moving to an apartment, you might want to consider renters insurance. If you can get renters insurance and car insurance at the same place, you generally save more money.

I needed Geico awhile back when I had bad credit and I was without insurance for more than a year. It was about the only place that would actually insure me. A year later, I moved to Tennessee Farm Bureau and saved about $300/6 mos. This was in combination with my homeowners insurance.

No reason not to shop around. There are also independant insurance agents around that will run your numbers through every place he can sell your policy. Several friends have used those type services and gotten great deals.

Shop around is the best advice. I never had a claim with Geico, so I can't comment on that. However, everything else with them was good.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Last I checked, about 6 months ago, they were really expensive. Government Employees Inurance COmpany: should've saved me some more money too since I work with the school district and get that employee discount.

Geico: $1500 6mo liability
Progressive: $400 6mo liability

Sex: Male
Record: 1 not at fault accident last 3 years, no tickets at all.

These were just initial quotes, but I doubt Geico could've matched Progressive.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Ive been with Progressive for several years and always shop around at renew time......
This year
Progressive $492/6 months
Geico $1200/6 months :Q

Of course Im in Louisiana so insurance is screwed

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I went with progressive, geico was more money at the time, now I pay about $90 a month for liability on a 93 SHO with progressive.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I have Geico and I'm dumping them as soon as I get my deductible back from my claim. My car was hit in November, $5k damage. I gave them all the "other driver's" info, they were going to file a claim w/his insurance company. I called back a week later and they said they had none of the info I had already given them. Dumb fvcks. The biggest problem is that you get a different person every time you call, and their follow up is nonexistent. You'd think they'd be interested in recovering their own money. They didn't even send pictures of my car w/the claim to the other insurance company, adding on another week to the delay. Double dumb fvcks.

So I call pretty much once a week. That's the only way anything gets done. Finally the other insurance company agreed to pay up so I get my deductible back. I can't wait to fire them.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TwinkleToes77

Progressive beat Geico for me... I pay $420 every 6 months on a 95' BMW.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i can't complain about Geico when i was on the other side of the fence either. the guy who turned in front of me and caused me to total my car had Geico. they were timely, settled a more than fair price for my vehicle and i had a rental for up to 5 days after i got the check from them.