GeforceFX, 3DFX...SMI?

gururu

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Will 3DFX technology integrated into the GeforceFX allow the development of an SMI solution? oh how nice that would be!

I guess it might be difficult since one chip gobbles up 75Watts.
:D

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Are you reffering to SLI (the one where the cards could be hooked together?)..then yea, but methinks it would be a little loud.

BTW, does you rmobo have two agp slots? ;)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
seeing as everything is agp now i don't see how it would work. plus you would be eating up a total of 4 slots for video alone, plus you'd go deaf, plus you'd need a 1,000,000 watt power supply with a nuclear UPS.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I saw an interview with an Nvidia guy and he said it was impossible to make an SLI-type setup cuz the card requires AGP.

End of fantasy.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've always wondered why it wouldn't be possible to have two AGP slots on a motherboard with an SLI controller built in. I guess you could call it a "Video RAID" setup. Once you setup in the BIOS that you will have two video cards and set them in RAID mode the motherboard would send alternate lines to each card for rendering. The only problem is that you would need something to recombine the alternate lines from both cards into a full signal for your monitor. Probably something like a breakout box that would have two VGA/DVI inputs and a single VGA/DVI output and the box would reintegrate the two signals.

This would be better than a video card level SLI since you could use any two identical video cards. Plus I don't think that SLI cards would really be possible anymore because of the huge amount of information from today's games that would have to be swapped over the SLI cable.