GeForce2MX problems....

Jan 28, 2001
I'm having some really messed up problems. I think there is an instability issue, but with the drivers at fault. I can only run this Creative card in 2x mode since there is an instabilty problem with it being able to run in 4x with the Via KT133 chipset. When I run OpenGL games and whatnot they will run fine for a while (excluding Midtown Madness 2, which locks up randomly due to the video), then after prolonged use I will start getting weird graphical errors and artifacts, including 2d. Another problem is the use of hardware T&L in Midtown Madness 2, and the game called Insane. Whenever I run these games with the T&L option turned on I get huge graphical anomalies where there are triangles flying all over the screen and the textures are all messed up. This does not happen when the T&L is disabled. I was able to run MM2 once with the T&L enabled with no problems. After that it stopped working. I also am having problems with DVD playback using the hwmc. It will lock the video up randomly. I have tried numerous drivers, detenator 5.22, 6.18, 6.31, and Creative's drivers, but still run into problems. What I find weird is that when I first put this card in back in December, I wasn't running into these problems. Like I said before it has been all downhill since then :|. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You have virtually the same rig as me,anyway make sure you uninstalled the Creative drivers before trying the Nvidia drivers,the way I set my system up was clean install of OS(Win98),Via drivers,followed by DirectX,& video, sound drivers last,I`m using 6.31 drivers with no problems & 2.1 Bios,4.25a Via 4 in 1 drivers,my Bios is tweaked from OrangeDelta & everything is rock stable.

Btw Bios wise 1.8 above seem the best(speedwise) since I never had Stability problems with any version.

Lastnote I`m using DirectX8 now with no problems,but some members have reported problems with it in certain games.

Your rig should be as stable as mine which is rock solid(the most stable rig I`ve had so far).

:)

Jan 28, 2001
Ok, I removed all the previous driver "residue" and whatnot. Then I flashed my bios up to 2.2. Then I installed the 6.31 drivers. I'm going to see if it holds up or not. Thanks! :)

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Some of the MX boards do not have enough heat sink to keep the chip cool. Try de-clocking the card teporarily to see if your random lockup problems go away. Sounds like it may be an overheating problem to me. If this solves your problem get a fan for the heat sink and put the speeds back to normal.

Perry

crash2much

Jan 11, 2001
Humor me, what's you I/o 3.3v actually running at(is it actually 3.3 or 3.25v or whatever)?

Jan 28, 2001
Well, I was running Quake2 for a while and still got the weird artifacts and 2d glitches. I rigged up my own cooling for this card when I first got it. Put a small heatsink and fan on it with thermalpaste also. Had to drill holes in the heatsink so it would line up with holes on the card. Then used lock ties to hold it on there tight. Also I have a big fan off to the side of it blowing cool air over it and the board. So it has nothing to do with any cooling problems. I have overclocked it before, but am keeping it set at the orignal settings until I get everything squared away. I still get the video errors w/o it oc'd. I don't know what the problem is really. Though the glitches and whatnot don't happen as often since I did the stuff mentioned above. I still haven't tried T&L yet with this, but will let you know when I do. One thing though is when I play a game when I first start Windoze, the video is fine. No errors or artifacts at all. Even with the GeForce 2 experience demos. But when there is prolonged use of anything straining I get the errors. I found this to not be a stability issue before because games like Quake2 wouldn't run causing an error in nvdisp.drv. Then I would start Q2 after that and have all sorts of artifacts. I am really stumped on this. Could be the motherboard itself, the drivers, or Windoze. By the way, I am running ME. Though I don't believe the OS to be the cause of this. Bummer :|

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The Nvidia 6.49 or 6.50 drivers are better for WinME,if you still get problems then I wonder if it`s the OS?

crash2much

Jan 11, 2001
The reason I asked about the i/o voltage is because many via users are getting low voltage at the 3.3v. Via apparently has a 5% acceptable limit for the 3.3v, so anything between 3.14v and 3.45v is considered 'good' . But, it appears for many users that once i/o is below 3.25 & the have a high power demanding video card various problems occur, such as the ones you descibe. I'm not saying your problem fall into this, but I'd love to know what your I/O 3.3v setting is.