Geforce2 MX okay on ABIT KT7, and which to buy?

Stampee

Nov 14, 2000
Hi all I just learned of the GeForce2 MX. I want a version with TVout. What company sells the most compatible version of this card?
I understand it is produced by many differant companys. I hate to buy a version of this chipset and find out the MFG never upgrades, or supports there drivers. Is this card compatible with an Abit KT7 mainboard?
Who would sell this card for the best price on the net?
Finally, is glide necessary for games these days? It appears like most games are Dx7 anyways correct? What am I losing if I buy this card and it is not Voodoo/Glide compatible? Will graphics in Quake and the like games, be as good if its not Glide based?
Thankyou for the answers :)
Stampee

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
The cool thing about nVidia chips like the GeForce2 is that nVidia requires that cards be 100% compatable with the 'reference' drivers. You can update your drivers with the nVidia ones that are updated every month or so.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for HIGH QUALITY tv out, the nVidia cards are not the best option. Most of those cards use pretty cheap TV out chips and many complain about their qualit.

For quality, stick with ATI (or the G400/450 series from Matrox). The Matrox cards are the best quality but they aren't nearly as fast as a GeForce. ATI has its Radeon cards which feature the Rage Theatre TV out chip which is excellent. You can find 32MB Radeon cards for only a few dollars more than a cheap GeForce2 MX and they often perform much higher in games.

Eric
EDIT: If you really want a GeForce2 MX, I recommend LeadTek or Asus cards.

Dravic

May 18, 2000
sig..

I Highly doubt they all this way, but i did have to run the I/O at 3.5 instead of the default 3.3 to fix some stability issues.