Geforce GTX 295 previews

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Elfear
So maybe someone smarter than myself can explain how the GTX 295 is getting OVER twice the framerates of the GTX 280 in some cases. The GTX 295 being less powerful than two GTX 280s seems like it would be impossible to ever achieve twice the framerate, especially with SLI/Crossfires inherent overhead.

Seems like I remember some benchmarks of the 4870X2 doing the same thing when it first came out.
Most likely due to a driver change to increase number of prerendered frames and then just a few extra rendered frames per second from the increased number of prerenders available.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: SteelSix
Yea it's pretty much a given you'll lose some money, be it ebay/paypal fees, step-up shipping fees, etc. Price to pay if you want the latest and greatest. I planned my upgrade path to 55nm, just wanted to play with 260's in tri for a while. You're right though, 55nm 260's wouldn't be a step-up. I was planning on a couple 285's but these 295's are looking better every day. I'd have to grab two though to make it worthwhile. Nothing like a little overkill.. :evil;

Yea tell me about it. My current video resolution does not do my rig justice. Now I have to go get a better monitor....the cycle continues. Its a sickness that I see in many other people on this forum :p
lol, what resolution are you running now? Quad SLI with 2xGTX 295 does sound a bit like overkill though....

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I was never too big a fan of multi-GPU setups. But now with PhysX, video transcoding and Folding@home they really do become more useful

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage
I was never too big a fan of multi-GPU setups. But now with PhysX, video transcoding and Folding@home they really do become more useful

I'm kinda the same, although as I primarily just want my graphics card to accelerate graphics I'm not that enamored with those extras.

My bug bears are multi monitor (one of mine has just gone down and really I cant see how people cope with just one) and general driver transparency when using Xfire/SLI.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

My bug bears are multi monitor (one of mine has just gone down and really I cant see how people cope with just one) and general driver transparency when using Xfire/SLI.

I use a second older computer to drive my other monitor. That way I can surf easily on one screen while gaming on the other. (also explains my post count).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

I use a second older computer to drive my other monitor. That way I can surf easily on one screen while gaming on the other. (also explains my post count).

:laugh:

I don't think I want to go quite that far!

Plus i like to have RivaTuner graphs up when I'm running benches.