GeForce FX 5800 - $500!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deskstar

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2001
Bowling Nut has it right...wait for an ATI 9700 (non-pro..is that a word?) then o'clock it to pro levels. Price should be around the $225-$275 level in January 03. Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Ti4400 o'clocked to Ti4600 speed with full candy for all settings.

acidpad

Sep 14, 2001
i keep seeing people saying that this new card has a bandwith problem, and im not really understanding this. for one, while memory bandwith has always been an issue with geforce cards, nvidia has been able to work around it using compression. even if they stay with this same compression scheme now, they are using 1ghz DDRII ram, im not seeing where bandwith is going to be an issue at all, maybe im wrong, and i dont have a whole lot of time to look this up right now, but doesnt DDRII have more bandwith than the original ram that has been used on these cards ? i think this card is going to blow away the 9700pro just like the 9700 blew away the ti4600... that is to say, we are all in for a treat! oh, and check out this quote from nvidia.com

"What's more, the GeForce FX's innovative new architecture includes an advanced and completely transparent form of
Antialiasing: Jaggy vs. Smooth
lossless depth Z-buffer and color compression technology. The result? Essentially all modes of antialiasing are available at all resolutions without any performance hit. Greatly improved image quality, with no drop in frame rate!
"

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The bandwidth issue is simple, they have compression, but they still ahve low bandwidth. It has a much higher fillrate than the 9700, but with less bandwidth to support it, and while they may have good compression technology, it isn't like ATI doesn't have any bandwidth saving techniques either. And there is no way that it will outperform the 9700 by as much as the 9700 did the Ti4600.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
Video card costs are out of control...$300-500 for a video card ...Jeez....

this cost is way too high given other component costs...loss of 3dfx was a disaster ..not enough competition..it is almost like we can staggering our competing top line products and keep the price very high for us both and they will come spend there $$$$

I want one of these cards but how do you justify increased cost when a mobo and cpu together can be less....my radeon 64 mg still works fine and plays my games at solid 1024x768 with good eye candy..not the highest settings....I thought paying $165 was alot then

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Lots of people are talking about the fact that ATI may have R350 ready around the same time as NV30. But now that NVidia has made the jump to .13, they will be able to release their next card much faster. The next chip could be ready as soon as 2 or 3 months after NV30. And I would bet money that by June next year, NVidia will be back to where they have been for the past several years. One step ahead of ATI.

By the way, I am not a fanboy on either side. The ATI vs NVidia battle is the best thing that could happen to us gamers. ATI kicked some serious a@# with the 9700. But I think NVidia will hit back hard. Whether they can do it with NV30 or will have to wait for their next chip remains to be seen.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
but these price are ridiculous IMHO..... Jeez all this t oplay a game a little faster...

Eagle17

Nov 23, 2001

from soulkeeper
ATI's drivers still suck......

That is funny I think their drivers are very good and every review I have read has either not commented on it or they have mentioned how well they have done... of course there has been a rumor for a while that ATI was recruiting nvidia programers I do not know if that is true and unless someone has worked at both companies or knows a programer that switched we will never find out.

I think ATI has one a big battle in their war on Nvidia but just as fast as they have turned the tables nvidia can do the same. Also if programmers start to use Cg in there games than you could see nvidia really pick up steam again.

VicodiN

May 6, 2002
I think I speak for all of the people here who actually know a thing or two about video cards...

I'll believe all the hype, when I see it in action...

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
does anyone remember the Guillemot Maxi-Gamer Xentor 32? man, to think that cutting edge video cards used to cost $199 retail...