GeForce 6200 Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I had a Dell with a 3.06HT Northwood P4 that was doing fine running general office jobs up until a few months ago. It became a secondary system due to Win10, and was finally retired not long ago.

It still runs okay. I keep it around because of that first Northwood HT chip. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Here's an idea, BruceB... what about getting a small dual-drive NAS for your LAN, running in RAID-1 (mirroring) for your office files, and then getting a newer, faster, desktop, but keeping your older P4 PC on the LAN, but running remote-access software on it.

That way, you could access your office files from either machine (because they would be moved to the NAS), and you could do your web browsing on the modern machine (so no performance issues there with browsing), and still be able to remote-desktop into your older PC to run your software that's still installed on the old machine.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Way too complex. Also I have a Toshiba Laptop with Win 10 Home 64 bit on it. I use it for most browsing while watching the tv set. I also was able to increase the RAM (Rambus) on my Dell 8200 from 512MB (it had 2 256MB sticks) to 2GB (4 512MB sticks) which is the most that system and XP can handle. Got it from a company called Archmemory for under $50 (this memory used to be very expensive) and it has made a HUGE improvement in how the old Dell works.