Geforce 4 Ti 4400 Cooling, help me keep my video card cool

Chronic321

May 31, 2002
Its been pretty hot and humid these days in VT and my computer temps have been pretty high, my video card gets extremely hot (Especially in the GPU area), although I have not experienced and problems during gaming, 3dmark locks ups once in a while. I have my 4400 overcloked to 4600 levels (300, 650). So I have a few questions

1. I have a slot cooler, should I put this directly next to the video card or two PCI slots away from it, the slot cooler does not extend past the GPU cooler but comes close.

2. Should I remove my heatsink and apply some thermal compound to it?

3. There are 4 screw hole on the bottom of the video card (opposite the GPU). Should I attach a 40mm fan here blowing onto the PCB. Thanks

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Chronic321
Its been pretty hot and humid these days in VT and my computer temps have been pretty high, my video card gets extremely hot (Especially in the GPU area), although I have not experienced and problems during gaming, 3dmark locks ups once in a while. I have my 4400 overcloked to 4600 levels (300, 650). So I have a few questions

1. I have a slot cooler, should I put this directly next to the video card or two PCI slots away from it, the slot cooler does not extend past the GPU cooler but comes close.
I would move the PCI cards to the bottom of the case (assuming a tower) and place the cooler directly next to the vid card.
2. Should I remove my heatsink and apply some thermal compound to it?
Nope. Applying AS3 to my Abit Ti4400 took 10MHz off the core overclock :Q
3. There are 4 screw hole on the bottom of the video card (opposite the GPU). Should I attach a 40mm fan here blowing onto the PCB. Thanks
I don't think a fan mounted flush or almost flush blowing on the pcb is going to do any good.

jaybee

Chronic321

May 31, 2002
Well as the day has gone by my room temp dropped 4 degrees Celcius and now my card is working great at 4600 levels. I did attach a 40mm cooler (No noticable noise) opposite the GPU, the PCB in the GPU area is much cooler now and I don't think it can hurt as the fan is not that powerful (8 CFM max) and my case temps didn't change, if anything this will help cool the GPU. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chronic321

May 31, 2002
I removed that fan under the GPU, I think it was creating a heat trap as the air was so warm around the fan.

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
Just one more -- how's your case cooling? Ideal setup would be an intake at the bottom of the front panel, with p/s exhaust at the top and another exhaust over the cpu. A blowhole (intake) in the side might help your vid card cooling, but I don't think it's worth the risk. If it doesn't help, you're left with a hole in the case.

jaybee

Chronic321

May 31, 2002
I got it, I just took an extra (quiet) 80mm fan lying around the house and attached it to the back of my slot cooler, my computer now runs stable at 320 core speed and 665 memory speed for my Geforce 4.

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Chronic321
I got it, I just took an extra (quiet) 80mm fan lying around the house and attached it to the back of my slot cooler, my computer now runs stable at 320 core speed and 665 memory speed for my Geforce 4.

Nice :D