Geforce 4 4200 performing badly in some apps, please help

kallekill

Oct 13, 2000
I got my Abit Siluro Geforce 4 4200 with 64 Mb RAM today and immediately started testing it. The first thing I noticed was that when you start a 3D game you can hear the geforce working. It sounds like a very noticeable quiet buzzing sound (I got the case open). I started overclocking the graphic card and got it stable at 290 Mhz GPU/590 Mhz memory, I didn?t try to go higher. Then I fired up 3d Mark 2001 SE and ran a test. I notice that the test were all the Max Payne-characters are running around shooting at each other was really slow with a low framerate and very jumpy. I think the test is testing the pixel shaders. I could hear from the card that the buzzing sound was going on and off. It usually is constant when running a 3D application. I got a better framerate on this test with my old computer with a Geforce 2 mx. I finished the tests and got a value of 7200 3d marks.

I noticed that there was an upgrade of 3d Mark 2001 SE that would "ensure more reliable functionality with new hardware that was released after the launch of 3DMark2001 SE" I ran the tests again and now the framerate was much better in the test with max payne-figures and the buzzing sound from the card was constant. Some of the other tests ran faster too and I got a value of 9268 3D Marks. Is think this is a rather good value, can anyone confirm?

Then I wanted to try some of the nvidia demos that are available on their site. Some of the demos were very slow like the Werewolf demo and the Squid demo. The squid demo was horrible slow with about 2 fps. The tidepool demo didn't even start. I could hear the music but the demo froze after that. I noticed that the buzzing went on and off in the demos that were really slow. I also tried the codecreature benchmark and it did not start. The Commanche 4 demo ran fine and I got 40 fps at 1024*768*32.

My computer:

Pentium 4 Northwood 1.6 @ 2.1
Asus P4B266
512 Mb Samsung ddr memory

I did the tests on a clean installation of windows 2000 with SP2. I activated Turbo1 in the BIOS and set the AGP aperture size to 128 MB. I tried to run the Geforce card at the standard GPU/memory settings but it didn?t help.

Is anyone else experiencing really slow framerates in these demos? I am beginning to think that it's something wrong with the pixel shaders on my card. Can someone please help?

kallekill

Oct 13, 2000
I got it working! After installing the latest chipset drivers I got around 20 fps on the squiddemo instead of 2. My 3dMark score went up to 10250 so I think that it's pretty normal now. I'm gonna try to find a utility were you can check if you are using fast write and agp 4. Didn't find a fast write option in the BIOS.

Rankor

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2000
Do a search for H. Oda's WCPUID. It provides useful information of the proc and the chipset (including) AGP transfer speed and SBA enabled or disabled.