Geforce 2 GTS, Athlon 1.33ghz, Windows XP, any driver, 3d games just exit or crash unexpectedly? EDIT: fixed it and how

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I have a Geforce 2 GTS 64mb by Hercules and the specs from the subject. Ever since I can remember, no matter what driver I've tried, I cannot get 3d games to run perfectly stable. I've used the latest WHQL certified drivers, NVIDIA drivers, and Hercules drivers and they all crash. 3dMark2001 exits quicker than any of the other 3d games - but it never crashes my computer.

It is not a heat issue because I just recently pulled off the factory fan and put a huge cpu fan in its play - yup CPU fan on my video card. I used a clamp and Arctic Silver adhesive... the thing runs nice and cool.

I read once about a patch for an Athlon and 3d games but I can't find anything about it. I remember applying it once before but it didn't fix the problem.

Is there anything I can do to get the card to run stable? I don't have the warranty option because it's a few years old and I'm not the original buyer. (I could always stick the old fan back on.)

EDIT: Okay... It wasn't any issues with heat or anything (though my system does run nice and hot since I can't stand noisy fans).. It was the VIA 4 in 1 driver. I had never thought of it before since Windows XP never asks for it when I install. I went to Via's homepage and downloaded the latest 4in1 driver for my chipset (it includes an AGP driver). Since then, my graphics card has been working perfectly.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Post your specs as complete as possible inc brand and rating of PSU, chipset and manu codes for all hw.

:eek: It could be your PC is too old and the PSU, AGP slot or mobo are inadequate. Otherwise it could be a heat problem (check case ventilation and air flow), a wierd incompatability (Windows or hw), a resource problem or else a BIOS / Windows (risidual drivers) problem.

DimZiE

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
since i think your config should run older games such as q3a, cs adequately...

either it's software or hardware
have you ever tried to do a clean re installation of your os, apps, games, etc, etc.
or if u have already tried a clean re installation..

you might want to check your hardware.. it could be your mobo, cpu, RAM, or even your VGA RAM....
since you stated that you are not the original buyer/owner of the system have you ever asked the previous owner wether he had overclock the system in the past... i have an experience of buying a secondhand system that was heavily overclocked before i buy it.. and no matter what i do the system could never run any hardware intensive apps without crashing... until i finally decided to return the system and asked for a refund.. ( luckily the previous owner was sincere enough to replace the system i've bought with another one with the same specs but never been overclocked )..

good luck :)

DimZiE

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
whoops if it's only your card..

i still think that the card was heavily overclocked by the previous owner.. usually either the Chip or the memory had been partially damaged
it does not matter even though you put a peltier to cool your VGA chip cause once the chip had been damaged there's no way it'll run normally..

(even though at temps below 15 C)