Geforce 185.20 to have Ambient Occlusion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Yeah, I'd be checking that in case 8xAA isn't being applied.

And by 8xAA I take it you?re referring to 8xQ?
I ran a few benches yesterday and can confirm for sure 4xAA is being applied. 8xAA isn't so clear without zooming way in, but I'll have some screens for comparison tonite. Benches, Screens and settings including AA are being set using FBWT Warhead Bench Tool. I am having a problem getting different resolutions to take with the benchmark utility as its hard to see any differences at 4x and 8xAA at 1920. 8xAA is standard MSAA and not CFAA with 8xQ, as the Bench Tool offers both options distinctly.

Originally posted by: josh6079
Does anyone know if these drivers' AO feature will work on when running XP?
PCGH mentioned AO only works in Vista or Win7, but its clearly being applied to DX9 titles also, so its not directly limited to DX10 rendering paths. Very odd, could be a feature tied to WDDM drivers.

PCGH Ambient Occlusion Comparison

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i just noticed that there is a checkbox in Chronicles of Riddick/Dark Athena [actually i am playing the graphics updated EfBB -nice!] for Ambient Occlusion

i am guessing that ATi's and Nvidia's drivers both support it as it appears to be a feature built into the game's Starbreeze engine now.

so far, it plays nice and decent framerates with everything maxed out at 19x12 with a single 4870-1GB [rest of PC as in sig] and 4xAA/16xAF *plus* Ambient Occlusion
[can we call it AO ? :p]

anyone with experience with AO and this game?
- later on, i will actually test with FRAPS and switch AO on and off and see if i can check differences in screen shots

then i will switch to GTX280 and see what is up with that and AO .. but right now i am playing updated Riddick .. my favorite FPS of all time; in fact i will install the '05 game to compare graphics and performance
(i got a game review due in a couple of days)

so ,, i gotta get back to work
:D