Geek Squad on CBS 60 Minutes NOW!

Apr 17, 2005
what are they gonna talk about?

edit: after watching that, my family should be grateful that i do all this shit for them for free.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
I work there.

...I can spend an entire day doing nothing but setting up new laptops with security suites and creating restore discs. We are so backed up half the time it's not funny.

We came in 3 hours before the store opened today and just barely got all our shipping done, and nothing else is getting done because an entire mob of people were waiting for the doors to open so they could get the new sales items, so the whole day will be spent personalizing computers and troubleshooting networking issues. =p

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Professor guy "Some people say you need an engineering degree from MIT to work these things, I have an engineering degree from MIT!"

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I'm surprised people are willing to spend so much to have Geeksquad fix a computer they probably paid well under $1000 for. At least based on what people have told me they charge ($200-$500).

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Dunbar
I'm surprised people are willing to spend so much to have Geeksquad fix a computer they probably paid well under $1000 for. At least based on what people have told me they charge ($200-$500).

most people spend about 200 and we install anti-viral, anti-spyware software, configure a rootkit sweep, pre-fill all your bootup info, uninstall trialware, and burn your recovery discs.

If you want to spend about 500 you'd have to get that, plus a data backup and transfer from an old PC.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Seriously, geek squad people should educate users to not run as an admin. Then you don't even have to run virus bloatware and security "packages". That and an affordable backup solution would cost about the same or less.

Wait... then geeksquad wouldn't have any return business.... ahhhh, I get it.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
Seriously, geek squad people should educate users to not run as an admin. Then you don't even have to run virus bloatware and security "packages". That and an affordable backup solution would cost about the same or less.

Wait... then geeksquad wouldn't have any return business.... ahhhh, I get it.

Like. Duh =)

But on the upside if you need a repeat of our anti-virus program and spyware installs within a month and can't do it yourself it's free.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: TruePaige

most people spend about 200 and we install anti-viral, anti-spyware software, configure a rootkit sweep, pre-fill all your bootup info, uninstall trialware, and burn your recovery discs.

If you want to spend about 500 you'd have to get that, plus a data backup and transfer from an old PC.

500 is what a PC costs!!

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: TruePaige

500 is what a PC costs!!

That's why I mostly just do the 200 dollar worth of services.

We also give a free personalization (set up your Vista Gadgets and run our "Agent Tweaks Lite" software) as a thank you for buying the PC.

It's not the most cost efficent place, but for most people it's the best they can do. Most small business comp shops are better priced, and have less red-tape to fix stuff...but they didn't hire me, and their jobs paid slightly less than this one anyway, so they can bite my Geeksquader arse. This place isn't too bad. =)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: WraithETC
Professor guy "Some people say you need an engineering degree from MIT to work these things, I have an engineering degree from MIT!"

apparently quality control sometimes messes up at mit:p