Gears of War

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
Is there a way to turn off motion blur with Gears of war?

The reason i ask is i cant play the game for more than 10mins without feeling extremly nauseous, i have no problem with other thrid person shooters or FPS games so im thinking it could be the motion blur.

Thank you :)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah when you sprint it makes me incredibly sick, and the last game to do that was Duke Nukem back in the day.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
What is this game like? seen some you tube videos but what about the online play? is there any?

online play is very small, but it's there. if you have comcast like i do - good luck. for some reason comcast's restrictions cause you to lag like hell in GoW. bastards :|

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
The character in Gears of War feels like you are trying to control an angry fat man with a really shitty gun.

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
the game probly makes you nauseous because of its style of graphics.. its very dark and sharp and makes you concentrate into the distance... i dont know how to turn off motion blur, but i also get tired after playing for about 30 minutes or so... i dont get tired like that woth call of duty or other games so i am pretty much convinced its gears visual style....

on another note yes the guns are very weak in this game but the level design is great and the visuals are stunning.. still going through the game so i have not reached the new added content that is supposed to have large open levels with different paths to go about killing grunts... overall this is a great game and a must have for a pc gamer ... i never liked 3rd person view, but this hide and shoot mechanic works flawlessly with a pc keyboard and mouse, i duno why some people complain, probly too used to controllers or something

Ps there is this new patch 1(revised) avalable since march 3rd, who knows what included in this patch ? http://files.filefront.com/Gea...9747179;/fileinfo.html

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply's, i think im gonna skip this game its not worth the gushing waters.

:)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I was assuming the shoddy storyline was making you ill when I came into the thread :p

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
if course its worth playing through... i say its the 3rd best shooter than came out at the end of last year

1. Call of duty 4
2. Crysis
3 Gears of war

why NOT play it ? its full of wicked bloody action and nice visuals, the style is dark but in the day time levels it looks fantastic, and the game scales perfectly, check my sig and i play it at 1280x1024 max everything

what doom3 had a storyline ? or quake 4 was such a good story that you were so involved in it ? space marines that dont even talk are not story lines....im not saying GOW has a story, im just saying at least those guys in Gears were given some dialogue and you actually CAN see the hero on the screen....give it a try, i think its worth the money, i am enjoying it right now cant wait for the added content of those new levels and that Brumak fight

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
i thought Crysis was poor? ive just completed Call of Duty 4 and that was really good, i wouldnt put Gears of war anywhere near Cod4 though cos its not even in the same league.

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
no its not but what would you say is the 3rd best shooter of late 2007 ? crysis is arguable because its such a diverse game apparently, ok, but its definitely not Unreal Tournament 3...so what else is there to play in terms of First Person Shooters ?

BTW why are you running your ram at 400MHz ?i have the same ram at 800MHz or you meant double data rate so 400x2

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: andrei3333
no its not but what would you say is the 3rd best shooter of late 2007 ? crysis is arguable because its such a diverse game apparently, ok, but its definitely not Unreal Tournament 3...so what else is there to play in terms of First Person Shooters ?

BTW why are you running your ram at 400MHz ?i have the same ram at 800MHz or you meant double data rate so 400x2

Bioshock

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
Yeah its running at 400Mhz x2 when i overclock my system to 3.2Ghz but im currently

doing a bit of power saving and running my Q6600 @ stock with a Vcore of 1.040 and as i

have my mem 1:1 with the cpu its actually at 266x2 (533) i didnt even realise id put it at

400 i shall change that now Thank you.

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
np

Bioshock? havent got it but meeh, oldschool elements with a new look, i duno this whole underwater thing makes me feel fishy

but seriously, im gona go check out some video footage of bioshock on gamespot and see what i think

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: andrei3333
if course its worth playing through... i say its the 3rd best shooter than came out at the end of last year

1. Call of duty 4
2. Crysis
3 Gears of war

why NOT play it ? its full of wicked bloody action and nice visuals, the style is dark but in the day time levels it looks fantastic, and the game scales perfectly, check my sig and i play it at 1280x1024 max everything

what doom3 had a storyline ? or quake 4 was such a good story that you were so involved in it ? space marines that dont even talk are not story lines....im not saying GOW has a story, im just saying at least those guys in Gears were given some dialogue and you actually CAN see the hero on the screen....give it a try, i think its worth the money, i am enjoying it right now cant wait for the added content of those new levels and that Brumak fight

No way.. Gears was a piece of shit. Horrid controls, too much 'crouch behind cover, pop up, shoot grunt in head (or it won't hurt him at all), throw grenade in spawn hole, pick up ammo, rinse, repeat' over and over and over again. Also, who the fuck came up with the idea of using the sprint button to crouch? :roll:

Gears was underwhelming, at best. It's a shit console port that had potential, but it just didn't deliver.

andrei3333

Jan 31, 2008
sprint button to crouch ?

i double tap 'w" to run and use space to take cover/crouch,,,i duno where you are getting sprinting and crouching mixed up man

its a console port on paper, in reality there is nothing on the PC version that does not work, not as cheap a console port as resident evil 4 was from game cube to ps2 to pc where it did not even support a mouse

gears it a satisfying shooter, repetitive, but it gets the job done, and it has plenty of gore

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Gears is very much worth playing through at least once. It's got a fun game mechanic, and was obviously inspired by summer action flicks. The cover/fire mechanic is just a different take from every other shooter, in which you do the same thing but without a toggle button.

You can re-bind the controls, of course, to get a scheme that works for you.

It's not an art masterpiece by any means...in fact, it's look is pretty bland...but there are some fun moments for sure. If you haven't played BioShock or STALKER, god knows, get to them first, but if you're looking for a shooter and played the big names from late 07 already, Gears is definitely worth a look. It's certainly not a "shit port", although there are a few annoyances in there (Live for Windows anyone?).

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai
No way.. Gears was a piece of shit. Horrid controls, too much 'crouch behind cover, pop up, shoot grunt in head (or it won't hurt him at all), throw grenade in spawn hole, pick up ammo, rinse, repeat' over and over and over again. Also, who the fuck came up with the idea of using the sprint button to crouch?

You could actually summarize most FPS that way.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Thraxen
No way.. Gears was a piece of shit. Horrid controls, too much 'crouch behind cover, pop up, shoot grunt in head (or it won't hurt him at all), throw grenade in spawn hole, pick up ammo, rinse, repeat' over and over and over again. Also, who the fuck came up with the idea of using the sprint button to crouch?

You could actually summarize most FPS that way.

Well, most of them don't have tons and tons and tons of perfect height walls, blocks, cars etc... that you are forced to use all the time. And the whole stick to the wall thing is something that should have stayed on the consoles, as well as the enemy spawn holes.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Well, most of them don't have tons and tons and tons of perfect height walls, blocks, cars etc... that you are forced to use all the time. And the whole stick to the wall thing is something that should have stayed on the consoles, as well as the enemy spawn holes.

Heh... well, that's true about the walls. I did get the feeling that there were too many blocks conveniently thrown around. Seemed a little too forced. But what does a cover system have to do with consoles??

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

Heh... well, that's true about the walls. I did get the feeling that there were too many blocks conveniently thrown around. Seemed a little too forced. But what does a cover system have to do with consoles??

Name one PC game that wasn't a port that had that cover system.

It's really useful for controllers, but sucks for keyboard / mouse... I'd much rather be able to crouch behind the wall and pop up when and how I want, not having to stick to the wall.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It's really useful for controllers, but sucks for keyboard / mouse... I'd much rather be able to crouch behind the wall and pop up when and how I want, not having to stick to the wall.

Meh... you can crouch just as easily with a controller as a KB. I don't think that has anything to do with it. I didn't mind the cover system at all, in fact, just having the ability to crouch is unrealistic. In an actual shootout I think it would be fairly normal to put your back against a wall and then peer out. Ideally I'd like to have a game with both a cover system and a crouch button.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Name one PC game that wasn't a port that had that cover system.

it's a 3rd person shooter, not a 1st person, ffs.

different game style = different gameplay mechanisms