Gears of War screenies -- 56k warning.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
It is highly unfortunate that Microsoft continues to tarnish its reputation amongst gamers, by using dishonest tactics. For starters, you can't save the game without creating a Windows Live ID. While you can create an offline ID, which can be used for singleplayer or LAN, split screen gaming is mysteriously missing. And to play on the internet, you must create an online Windows Live ID. But that isn't the bad part.

The big stinker is Microsoft's attempt to nerf the Windows XP platform, in order to make Vista look like a more attractive option. In the display menu in GoW, the option to use direct x 10 visuals is only available when running the game in Vista, which is fine... but unfortunately the option to use anti aliasing is permanently linked with DX10.

While XP is perfectly capable of running anti aliasing, Microsoft have made sure that only Vista gamers can run it in Gears of War. They even packaged it under the lablel of Dx10. Right, so just like Halo 2 could only run under Vista, and Crysis couldn't run direct x 10 visuals in XP, -- which it can run at better frames with a hackhttp://www.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html], as illustrated by gamespot[/url] -- Gears of War can only use anti aliasing in Vista.

But that's not the pathetic part.

Unfortunately, there are no real direct x 10 improvements for Gears of War, which you can read about http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/...w2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==]here.[/url] So what the geniuses at M$ did, was to package anti aliasing under DX10 so that it looks better. Now since I dual boot, I do have the option of running of running it on Vista. But as you can see from that last link, with anti aliasing off, the performance in Vista is just worse. It is funny how Microsoft are incapable of doing what's right for PC gaming.

But now I finally know what the hype was about. I had never played or seen the game in action while it was on the 360, and man is it amazing. It is pure non stop action, and fantastic fun. Most fun I've had with a 3rd person shooter since Max Payne, though the game involves action in both first and third person. The gameplay while repetitive, works beautifully.

The visuals are stunning, both on a technical and an artistic level. The look is very similar to something from Frank Miller's 300 or TDK, while the gore is oh so sweet. The music is epic as well. After I finish, I am definitely hopping on for some multi.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4913/gow2za6.jpg
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9884/gow1jy1.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6598/gow8bc6.jpg
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3662/gow14zt2.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1886/gow16cy4.jpg

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
OK now I feel a little foolish about blaming MS. Guess they aren't always the devil.

I was informed by a friend that MS aren't to blame:

Epic: Unreal Engine 3 uses deferred shading to speed up the calculation of dynamical lighting and shadows. Integrating this feature together with multi-sampling requires control of the edge-smoothing at a much deeper level than the DX9 interface can provide. So, on the PC, multi-sampling will only be supported under DX10.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
the latest nvidia 169.09 beta drivers lets you force fsaa on for gear of war in the control panel. works perfectly for me.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
How is the game? Just picked it up today after CC put it on sale again.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
How is the game? Just picked it up today after CC put it on sale again.

SP campaign is good. MP is fun, but not that great since servers are few and far between :\

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
I'm still doing the sp campaign. Im using the 360 controller, so i wont go online until i get better at the game. the campaign is extremely fun.

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006
played this last night and wow. the graphics are good! i originally played it on the xbox and was impressed with it then. but comparing it to the pc version, the xbox just can't match it. +1 for pc gaming!

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
After playing CoD4, I don't see what the hoopla was about GoW. The gameplay is very repetitive and provides very little variety. Yea, it's pretty, but that's about it.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

"While XP is perfectly capable of running anti aliasing, Microsoft have made sure that only Vista gamers can run it in Gears of War."

That's BS. Between this and the Crysis thread, MS is not making any friends.......as usual.......

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Pugnate
OK now I feel a little foolish about blaming MS. Guess they aren't always the devil.

I was informed by a friend that MS aren't to blame:

Epic: Unreal Engine 3 uses deferred shading to speed up the calculation of dynamical lighting and shadows. Integrating this feature together with multi-sampling requires control of the edge-smoothing at a much deeper level than the DX9 interface can provide. So, on the PC, multi-sampling will only be supported under DX10.

regardless, look at trying to downgrade Vista:
You MUST have Vista business or ultimate to downgrade
Your XP key is invalidated after upgrading to Vista
You can ONLY downgrade to XP: Professional

Bunch of rich sons of bitches
They should first make Vista less crappy before expecting people to stay at Vista

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: marmasatt

"While XP is perfectly capable of running anti aliasing, Microsoft have made sure that only Vista gamers can run it in Gears of War."

That's BS. Between this and the Crysis thread, MS is not making any friends.......as usual.......

As Pugnate posted in his second post, this has absolutely nothing to do with MS.

AA doesn't work properly with deferred shading in DX9, at least not with major haxery.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Dacalo
After playing CoD4, I don't see what the hoopla was about GoW. The gameplay is very repetitive and provides very little variety. Yea, it's pretty, but that's about it.

i never saw what the hoopla for COD was after playing through COD2. at least i got a good 15-20hrs out of gears' SP campaign.

and i know for a fact you can't chainsaw someone in half in COD4. trust me, that *never* gets old :D

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Caecus Veritas
played this last night and wow. the graphics are good! i originally played it on the xbox and was impressed with it then. but comparing it to the pc version, the xbox just can't match it. +1 for pc gaming!

+1 for a year later!

Just got this game. About to install it in a bit.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Just installed. Am having major screen tearing issues so I think the vsync switch isn't working. Have tried multiple rez, forcing from nvid CP, still no go. Have seen this issue posted on other forums but no fixes offered. Anyone have this problem or know a fix?