GB-BXBT-1900 barebones mini-PC (add HDD/SSD, RAM, and OS) $84.99 AR @ Newegg

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Now $84.99 after a $10 MIR! Go get em!

Btw, I seem to have finally had luck with installing Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit on mine. I updated to the Win10 "freeze fix" BIOS (F8), and then disabled "C-state reporting" in the UEFI, have OS selected as Windows 7, CSM boot, and installed off of a flash drive.

Seems to work for me so far.
Just curious. Does the wireless work ok?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious. Does the wireless work ok?

Forgot to mention, I'm running it with the wired gigabit ethernet. The WiFi does show up though, but the problem I had with it when I was experimenting with it was that it would eventually shut off.

Edit: I "did" my other Brix J1900 unit, it has a 300GB SSD, with Win7 64-bit on the first half, and I:
1) flash the BIOS to F8, just because
2) disabled C-states in BIOS
3) enabled the XHCI controller
4) booted Win7 64-bit, to make sure everything still worked
5) Plugged in Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit USB into USB3.0 port on front of Brix
6) rebooted, went into BIOS, disabled HDD from boot order (required, in order to boot from USB stick)
7) Booted Mint 17.3, installed, rebooted
8) at GRUB boot menu, boot into Win7 64-bit, to make sure that worked still
9) reboot, boot into Mint 17.3
10) update, reboot
11) boot into Mint 17.3, configure Firefox, enable WiFi
12) switch to wired ethernet again, because the wifi cut out after typing this message. :(

Edit: I'm going to try one of these USB N150 2.4Ghz WiFi dongles:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2479311

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Forgot to mention, I'm running it with the wired gigabit ethernet. The WiFi does show up though, but the problem I had with it when I was experimenting with it was that it would eventually shut off.
Ok thanks. The wireless was also flaky when I tried a distro and a media type distro.

wmihalo

Dec 12, 2018
Just an update on the occasional freeze issues associated with GB-BXBT-1900 - Brix. I bought one of these almost 3 years ago and had problems with the system freezing occasionally. One recommendation was to disable the Intel Virtualization for the CPU. This apparently worked, but I wanted the ability to run virtual machines on this system. I resolved this by upgrading the BIOS from F7 to F9. I re-enabled virtualization on the Intel CPU and the machine has been running stable for about a week. I'm running Fedora 29 on the machine. I have a guest VM running the latest version of Debian and both are stable. Go to the Gigabyte support page and check the recommended hardware. I removed an (unsupported) SSD from this machine and replaced it with a (supported) Western Digital hard drive. The F9 BIOS update also resolved an irritating issue with this machine where shutdown did not power down the machine. I had to press the power button to force the machine into a power off state. Now the machine functions normally. I'm running this machine with 8 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive.

Reactions: Ranulf