Gavin Newsom Gets It

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Calling on Dems to fight the GOP bullshittery machine and go on the offensive.

“Ron DeSantis sits there claiming this freedom gospel – and you can be an 11-year-old girl raped by your father, be forced to bear your own brother or sister, and he claims freedom in that state? What the hell is going on?” Newsom said. “I’m not going to allow them to have that mantle of freedom.”

bury. them. into. the. ground. with. this. shit. this is exactly what dems need. fight fire with fire? no, respond with a whole raging inferno.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yup, he's pretty much spot on. We have to be aggressive (not militant or extremist). He's right, we're playing too much defense.

Weird he continues to deny his intent to run in 2024 so strongly.

Reactions: Lezunto

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I haven't seen them, but my mother told me she's some Newsom billboards around OKC. Sounded like some type of troll billboard, which I'm all for.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Give the Repubs the power they don't deserve and they will find ways to not give it up when they lose elections, something they're presently trying to "fix" just like Putin does with his dictatorship, like the Chinese do, like the North Koreans do.

I really do hope the Dem leadership will set a tone very soon that doesn't include "don't get down in the dirt with the deplorables" because that's exactly what the Repubs hope the Dems will do. The Dems can get a little dirty without sacrificing their morals and ethics like the Repubs have done. Joe's speech where he vilified the MAGA faction of the Repub party is a good start, but I'm hoping the DNC will get a little crazy and much more creative in the area of responding to the constant unmitigated bullshit the Repubs are spewing all over the nation.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Repubs are all about the status quo or diverting more and more money into the pockets of their donors. They try to blame Democrats for everything their voters dislike regardless of whether or not it's true (e.g. inflation). And nowadays, thanks to Trump and their fear of crossing him, if they lose they'll claim fraud, because that's Trump's mantra: bad-mouth America and cripple her freedoms while ostensibly being about MAGA. It's oxymoronic.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2005
He's got the right attitude. Can't just sit back and let the MAGAts flood the zone. One of the main problems with leading democrats forever has been they're a bunch of pussies. They may be right on the issues, but they're wimps about it. It's no shock that some of the more aggressive ones are now doing super well. And are also prime targets for GQP attacks (looking at you AOC).

I'd vote for Newsom in a heartbeat. Same with Pete and AOC.

Lezunto

Oct 24, 2020
I always hoped Newsom would run. His main drawback would be his foolish ex-missus with the fake boobs.

Caring Joe appears to have slipped back into his bad 'ole days or running his mouf.

I would vote for Pete, even though he'd be battered relentlessly by moral phonies. But not AOC.

Reactions: Captante
Dec 10, 2005
I think Democrats do push back, we just don't see it as much because the right has dedicated media apparatuses to launder out their talking points far and wide. The Democratic Party has nothing even remotely comparable to the right wing echo chamber.

Reactions: Gardener

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think Democrats do push back, we just don't see it as much because the right has dedicated media apparatuses to launder out their talking points far and wide. The Democratic Party has nothing even remotely comparable to the right wing echo chamber.
Nah most of them don't push back the right way. They are too polite and it's not like I want him to be rude but just to talk straight more. I think a lot of Democrats just assume that people can't possibly be that stupid or evil. And so they don't really direcy push back and attack the stupidity ignorance and evil we are actually facing.

Lezunto

Oct 24, 2020
I agree, Mr.Squished.

I've always said that Democrats have been too diplomatic in their responses to Republican lies and hatred.

We need dedicated spokesman who will be unafraid to hit back hard. But without turning off those who are reasonable.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I agree, Mr.Squished.

I've always said that Democrats have been too diplomatic in their responses to Republican lies and hatred.

We need dedicated spokesman who will be unafraid to hit back hard. But without turning off those who are reasonable.
Exactly. So many Democrats were surprised by the overturning of Roe. Even some folks I know that follow politics. They can't possibly be this depraved. I'm like wtf have you not been observing? I wasn't surprised at all.

In the last ten years I figured out who is the enemy. And during the last four really figured out these people are irredeemable.

Gotta push back

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Exactly. So many Democrats were surprised by the overturning of Roe. Even some folks I know that follow politics. They can't possibly be this depraved. I'm like wtf have you not been observing? I wasn't surprised at all.

In the last ten years I figured out who is the enemy. And during the last four really figured out these people are irredeemable.

Gotta push back
The only reason I wasn't taken by surprise is a piece I read in the NY Times about a year earlier. That DID surprise me. It told about an older woman living in the deep south who had a ton of personal experience with abortion from the time when it was illegal and had personally witnessed the horror of what can happen when it goes awry. She proclaimed that they were going to reverse Roe. What is more, the people/person who wrote it declared that this woman was uncanny in her being correct in her prognostications. Basically, she was always right. I thought to myself, who am I to think or say she's wrong about Roe going down?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I enjoy his trolling but I don't think he is electable on a national level.
Well, who is? Besides, I don't see any R's who look electable to me so the field of D's who are looks like it could have some expansiveness.

Edit: That and the fact that POTUS elections have often surprised with the results. I mean Trump? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? :rolleyes:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, who is? Besides, I don't see any R's who look electable to me so the field of D's who are looks like it could have some expansiveness.

Edit: That and the fact that POTUS elections have often surprised with the results. I mean Trump? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? :rolleyes:
Yes, of course anything can happen but I don’t think Newsom is a strong national candidate either. I would pick a popular governor from a red or purple state.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I would have thought it was harder for the Democrats to push back robustly and forcefully because they have a distinctly ramshackle coalition they have to hold together.

The skewed nature of the electoral system means the Republicans don't have to worry overmuch about not upsetting any element of their own side - they can fairly single-mindedly focus on the interests of affluent, white, heterosexual, Christians. And primarily men, at that.

Reactions: Lezunto

Pens1566

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, of course anything can happen but I don’t think Newsom is a strong national candidate either. I would pick a popular governor from a red or purple state.
Depends on who you have in that list of governors ... most are about as charismatic as Tim Kaine, with maybe Whitmer being the best. But she's got her own issues in a general.

Newsom has a presence that none of them even come close to. Like it or not, there is something to be said for that factor having an impact on the outcome.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on who you have in that list of governors ... most are about as charismatic as Tim Kaine, with maybe Whitmer being the best. But she's got her own issues in a general.

Newsom has a presence that none of them even come close to. Like it or not, there is something to be said for that factor having an impact on the outcome.
As I’ve said many times I think predicting this far out is a fool’s errand but if you held a gun to my head I would say Whitmer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You'd trust a governor from a red state to not screw up the US for 4 years? Not me.
Michigan voted for Biden. If you mean some other state sure, why not? What current or recent democratic governor of a red state would you consider untrustworthy?

More importantly it shows they have the ability to win elections in hostile territory. The deck will be stacked against democrats in the 2024 election so it’s good to grab any advantage we can.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Michigan voted for Biden. If you mean some other state sure, why not? What current or recent democratic governor of a red state would you consider untrustworthy?

More importantly it shows they have the ability to win elections in hostile territory. The deck will be stacked against democrats in the 2024 election so it’s good to grab any advantage we can.
Yeah, I don't know, I don't know of Democratic governors in red states. Anyway, I figure to be one you have to be pretty centrist. Obviously CA is not a swing state, I suppose you mean that a Democratic governor in a swing state would be a good idea to sway that and other swing states.

Michigan went for Trump in 2016, right? It was a dagger in the heart of Michael Moore, I could see it in his face at 8PM Pacific Time. That's when I knew the pall was upon us for 4 years.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Nah most of them don't push back the right way. They are too polite and it's not like I want him to be rude but just to talk straight more. I think a lot of Democrats just assume that people can't possibly be that stupid or evil. And so they don't really direcy push back and attack the stupidity ignorance and evil we are actually facing.
- Political ideology has gotten so hyper concentrated that people just end up projecting onto each other in bizarre ways.

Libs/Dems think all heartland Americans are like Hank Hill: inherently decent people that can be convinced to do whats right with a few sound logical arguments. Cons/Pubs think all city dwelling liberals are continuously on drugs, having abortions for fun, coming for their "freedoms" and want to take all of their government programs away and give them to illegals.

Lezunto

Oct 24, 2020
I pay more attention to their words and actions, not so much their locations.

I believe many on the Right Wing side are motivated by their ethnic hatreds, led principally by their dislike of Black and Brown skin. The Hate is increasing and it is virulent.

I am not so much surprised as I am dejected. I had been warning of this since Trump was first elected.

The awful truth is that this country and this planet appears all too ready to accept a vicious Füehrer, but with Blacks in concentration camps. We sat back quietly for too long and made feeble pushbacks.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
- Political ideology has gotten so hyper concentrated that people just end up projecting onto each other in bizarre ways.

Libs/Dems think all heartland Americans are like Hank Hill: inherently decent people that can be convinced to do whats right with a few sound logical arguments. Cons/Pubs think all city dwelling liberals are continuously on drugs, having abortions for fun, coming for their "freedoms" and want to take all of their government programs away and give them to illegals.
Amen. And they are both wrong. The Dems are underestimating just how evil these people can be, just like the Nazis in Germany. These heartland Americans are all midstage Nazis at this point.

ASK THE COMMUNITY