Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge TN are kinda odd places

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Timely thread. My wife is dragging me through there the day after Memorial Day. I feel more prepared than I was prior to reading this thread.

Reactions: JimKiler

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Timely thread. My wife is dragging me through there the day after Memorial Day. I feel more prepared than I was prior to reading this thread.

Just eat some BBQ at Bennett's when you're there and trout at the Smoky Mountain Trout House and it will be worth the trip ;)

Reactions: Sukhoi and kage69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's gotten a lot more crowded and "touristy" since the 90s, but I'd still much rather go there than any place owned by Disney. At least you can find good BBQ in that area, unlike Disney or Epcot where all the food pretty much sucks while costing triple what it should. I'm sure Dollywood has changed a lot since I was there, since the fires.

Disney doesn't deserve your money, I'd much rather give that to Dolly Parton and small businesses. And I say that as someone who can't stand country "music" and wants nothing to do with red states for the most part.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Bruised tailbone isn't a good time.

Nope!
I had a coworker who broke her's on a snowboard run she was pressured into doing. One of the Ski Patrol guys that responded, the designated medic, was a guy that had asked her out. She was mortified, so much so that she asked me to examine her rear end and 'observe and report'. lol

Was glad I declined, though we ended up hooking up like 2 years later so I still ended up getting familiar with her cash and prizes.

I've never hurt mine, but anytime I get on a sled or slide or whatever, I think back to that as a cautionary tale. Not much they can do I guess, just have to manage pain and wait. No fun at all.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Nope!
I had a coworker who broke her's on a snowboard run she was pressured into doing. One of the Ski Patrol guys that responded, the designated medic, was a guy that had asked her out. She was mortified, so much so that she asked me to examine her rear end and 'observe and report'. lol

Was glad I declined, though we ended up hooking up like 2 years later so I still ended up getting familiar with her cash and prizes.

I've never hurt mine, but anytime I get on a sled or slide or whatever, I think back to that as a cautionary tale. Not much they can do I guess, just have to manage pain and wait. No fun at all.
Yeah, I have first-hand experience with it, wouldn't recommend it, LOL.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Just got back. Bruised my tailbone riding Goats on the Roof alpine coaster 3 times, played Hillybilly Golf on the side of the mountain and got 2 holes in one, saw bears in the wild twice, did the aquarium and loved the sharks and the penguin parade, did all the suspension bridges at the top of Anakeesta, enjoyed our cabin's indoor pool and the hot tub. Did Easter egg dyeing and hunting with the grandchildren and took everybody to the Melting Pot for Easter feast. Don't care how tourist trap any of it is, we did it all and enjoyed it all.

edit: I forgot the rolled ice dream Exterous recommended - we all liked that.
Glad you had a good trip and liked the rolled ice cream!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Where else can I ride Alpine coasters
Since you asked...

or play minigolf on the side of a mountain
Oddly, I don't see that on their website. They're just off the Pikes Peak Highway, and maybe they couldn't find enough flat land?

or shop in a giant store that has bears living in it?
No bears - unless a wild one wanders through. They do have reindeer, though, last I checked.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
As someone who lives 2 hours away I avoid it like the plague. There are "secret" entrances on the TN side for long distance hiking and running I use but that's it. We goto Bryson City in NC. Quiet. Beautiful. Not nearly as busy and just as many trails, waterfalls etc without all the annoying tourists.

Oh and Asian food? They've got a Hawaiian Asian fusion food truck off the back of a brewery in downtown Bryson City that I still dream about the food is that outstanding. Best Japanese karaage fried chicken I've had yet

I'd also recommend heading to some other parts of the mountains. The Ocoee river area is fantastic though very busy with white water rafting in summer but tons of mountain trails.

If you want mountains with a side of city then try Chattanooga. Lots of great mountain trails along with good tourist attractions year-round AND actual great food. Plus lots of walkable green space in the city as well. I would know since I live there

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
LeConte 3.jpgLeConte 2.jpgLeconte 4.jpg LeConte 5.jpg

I thought that was Branson, MO.

Quick Google machine search, shows it is the most visited National Park, over 12 million a year. Whoever is first or not, thats a lot of people for one area to visit.

Pics show why it is called the Smokey Mountains. We stayed at Mt Leconte, which is a pretty good hike. Almost 6k feet, and VERY crude cabins. No running water, bathrooms, etc. We were there Nov 11th last year (Veterans Day), we go again this Nov. It is always booked up and have to reserve a year in advance. Closes down for Winter because they pack everything up by llama's and snow makes it hazardous for them. It is always cool, the record temp for LeConte is 81F. We can hike to the top and be in the 60's, get back home and in the 90's.

Cades Cove takes forever if you do the entire loop, but worth it. Especially in the Fall. We go often, love to hike, camp and fish. The tourist trap area is ok, lots of food, rides, etc. But getting in the mountains is where it is at.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I highly recommend biking the Cades Cove loop. Did that last time while the rest of the family drove. It was really nice.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Took this at Gatlinburg. Only rainbow I've ever seen that went straight across.

Dn3ixtT.jpg

Reactions: Exterous

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Took this at Gatlinburg. Only rainbow I've ever seen that went straight across.

Dn3ixtT.jpg
With a picture of the world's slowest chairlift.

Did that lift with my daughter when she was 2 and it was slightly chilly/drizzling and it took 45 minutes to get from the bottom to the top they stopped it so damn much. Thank god she happily sat still the whole time. For some reason they stopped it every time someone got on it.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I went there maybe 4 years ago. I wanted to call it the Wisconsin Dells of the south. Total tourist trap for sure. There were a few enjoyable things, but not many. Doubtful I'll go back. I much more enjoyed Rocky Mountain National Park the year after when I went.