Gateway Solo P3C - upgrade options?

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I've this old laptop that basically only runs with 24MB of RAM. Is anyone familiar with the upgradeability of these old timers?

I really don't mind the limits of the P3C, its P120 and 800x600x8 display and all, but I'd kind of like to increase the storage and performance a little bit.

Hey, I got it for free, actually more like a labour for laptop trade, so don't beat me up for keeping it all these years.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
I still have one of these around, it's not in service anymore, but if I recall correctly the P3C (solo 2100? or 2000?) has 16mb of onboard ram and 2 slots to upgrade it used 144pin so-dimms and requires FPM or EDO I forget which. The max size of memory it supported was 32mb sticks and the most memory it could takes was 72mb, HDD's your a bit better off, the bios will rec older laptop HDDS it suffers from the 8.4 gig limit even if you have the lastest bios, It also takes 9.5mm height drives, I think I have a 4 gig 4200rpm drive in mine and that worked ok. the bigest drives they shipped w/ were 1.2gig. Also fyi if you know what serries solo the notebook was ( I forget and am not sure where I stored mine) you can use Crucial 's Memory selector to find memory that will w/ with this system. Hope this helps you bring some life back into that golden oldie =), also fyi the Power bricks / chargers were prone to failure in this model and if you need to replace it, you will end up spending a fortune... Hope this helps.... :)

ComputerFAQ

Dec 13, 2023
Hi, responding to a 20 years old thread here! ... with a question: what is the max user RAM capacity of Gateway 2000 P3C? It has 8MB onboard and the manual says +32MB (16MB per slot), but could+64MB work?