Gateway 2000 Anykey keyboard

DonCorbata

Aug 29, 2013
I'm new to this forum. Please tell me when I go wrong!

I have a cherished 1994 Gateway2000 Anykey Keyboard. All is working perfectly on my antiquated pentium III under Windows XP Pro. I use the programmability - stored macros, shortcuts etc - of the keyboard quite alot and would not like to be without it. However, I think that when I upgrade my PC, it will be to one without a PS/2 connection and that it will not only be the physical connection which prevents me from continuing to use my Anykey keyboard on a modern PC - I think there is a fundamental interface problem!

My question is directed to anyone on the forum who can
1. Explain to me why I will have a problem and what the problem is?
2. Outline my options for the continued use of the keyboard when I upgrade?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
They still make motherboards with PS2 ports, they aren't going away any time soon, IMHO. There is real utility in having PS2, especially with the N-key rollover and interrupt-based interface for gaming.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
1. Explain to me why I will have a problem and what the problem is?
For the interface, that you have to work to buy a big box PC with PS/2 ports, because everybody's gone to USB only (often with unsoldered PS/2 pads next to them :). It's not hard to find on business series, though (I just out in some Opitplexes that had PS/2 ports, FI), nor DIY mobos.

2. Outline my options for the continued use of the keyboard when I upgrade?
1. Motherboard/PC with PS/2 ports.
2. USB to PS/2 adapter. Monoprice's is compatible with pretty much everything, and isn't more expensive than others.

Now, software is a whole other ballgame. It may or may not work, and there's not much you can do about that, with a new OS, if it doesn't (try it in XP SP3 mode, and see what happens).

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
From a hardware perspective, your keyboard and all its macros will still work fine even when using a PS2-USB adapter. I doubt any scan codes have changed between XP and 8, and even if the lesser used ones have you can fix it in the registry (or changing your hardware macros).

Keep in mind software scripting is infinitely more powerful and outside of extremely niche compatibility situations has virtually no downfalls unless you move your keyboard between unknown computers. While it does have that geeky factor to it, I'd like to see your Anykey hook into programs and read/edit the VGA framebuffer.

DonCorbata

Aug 29, 2013
They still make motherboards with PS2 ports, they aren't going away any time soon, IMHO. There is real utility in having PS2, especially with the N-key rollover and interrupt-based interface for gaming.
Dear VirtulLarry, Cerb, Ben90,
Thank You! I’m truly grateful! I am sending my supplementary questions to all three of you so that you can see if the question(s) has been answered and so not replicate the effort you are making! I am sure none of you needs a pen-pal and I’ll try to make sense. Please tell me where I am wrong in what I understand to be the options when I am moving my Gateway2000 Anykey keyboard to a more modern PC.

1. I can (still) choose a ‘state of the art PC/Motherboard’ which has PS/2 connections and avoid all problems? Is this true? Do I not have to make sure of some other condition or attribute of the new PC as well? In other words, if a PC is built with a PS/2 port, my Anykey programmable keyboard is guaranteed to work?
2. If I upgrade to a PC which has no PS/2 ports, what are the criteria (PC spec, buzzwords etc) for establishing whether a simple adaptor will completely solve the problem (not just the physical connection) or not? Also, I see great distinction is made (when I search for adaptors on the internet) between a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor’ and a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor Converter’ – Can you enlighten me?
3. If I understand the recommendation to be:- get a PC with PS/2 ports, or get one with USB ports and use an adaptor, why has Cerb warned about Software being a potential insurmountable obstacle?
4. The possibilities outlined in 1. and 2. above, subject to your approval, indicate that I can make progress using those routes, but does Cerb’s warning about Software override some/all of those possibilities? In other words, if I choose to upgrade using an Adaptor or Adaptor Converter can I still run into the Software impasse?

DonCorbata

Aug 29, 2013
For the interface, that you have to work to buy a big box PC with PS/2 ports, because everybody's gone to USB only (often with unsoldered PS/2 pads next to them :). It's not hard to find on business series, though (I just out in some Opitplexes that had PS/2 ports, FI), nor DIY mobos.

1. Motherboard/PC with PS/2 ports.
2. USB to PS/2 adapter. Monoprice's is compatible with pretty much everything, and isn't more expensive than others.

Now, software is a whole other ballgame. It may or may not work, and there's not much you can do about that, with a new OS, if it doesn't (try it in XP SP3 mode, and see what happens).
Thank You! I’m truly grateful! I am sending my supplementary questions to all three of you so that you can see if the question(s) has been answered and so not replicate the effort you are making! I am sure none of you needs a pen-pal and I’ll try to make sense. Please tell me where I am wrong in what I understand to be the options when I am moving my Gateway2000 Anykey keyboard to a more modern PC.

1. I can (still) choose a ‘state of the art PC/Motherboard’ which has PS/2 connections and avoid all problems? Is this true? Do I not have to make sure of some other condition or attribute of the new PC as well? In other words, if a PC is built with a PS/2 port, my Anykey programmable keyboard is guaranteed to work?
2. If I upgrade to a PC which has no PS/2 ports, what are the criteria (PC spec, buzzwords etc) for establishing whether a simple adaptor will completely solve the problem (not just the physical connection) or not? Also, I see great distinction is made (when I search for adaptors on the internet) between a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor’ and a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor Converter’ – Can you enlighten me?
3. If I understand the recommendation to be:- get a PC with PS/2 ports, or get one with USB ports and use an adaptor, why has Cerb warned about Software being a potential insurmountable obstacle?
4. The possibilities outlined in 1. and 2. above, subject to your approval, indicate that I can make progress using those routes, but does Cerb’s warning about Software override some/all of those possibilities? In other words, if I choose to upgrade using an Adaptor or Adaptor Converter can I still run into the Software impasse?

DonCorbata

Aug 29, 2013
From a hardware perspective, your keyboard and all its macros will still work fine even when using a PS2-USB adapter. I doubt any scan codes have changed between XP and 8, and even if the lesser used ones have you can fix it in the registry (or changing your hardware macros).

Keep in mind software scripting is infinitely more powerful and outside of extremely niche compatibility situations has virtually no downfalls unless you move your keyboard between unknown computers. While it does have that geeky factor to it, I'd like to see your Anykey hook into programs and read/edit the VGA framebuffer.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I can (still) choose a ‘state of the art PC/Motherboard’ which has PS/2 connections and avoid all problems? Is this true? Do I not have to make sure of some other condition or attribute of the new PC as well? In other words, if a PC is built with a PS/2 port, my Anykey programmable keyboard is guaranteed to work?
As a 10x-key keyboard, yes. There are posters here with much older keyboards than yours in new rigs (I'd be in that boat, too, were it not for a spill on my '86 Model M :)).

If I upgrade to a PC which has no PS/2 ports, what are the criteria (PC spec, buzzwords etc) for establishing whether a simple adaptor will completely solve the problem (not just the physical connection) or not? Also, I see great distinction is made (when I search for adaptors on the internet) between a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor’ and a PS/2-USB ‘Adaptor Converter’ – Can you enlighten me?
Some keyboards and mice could natively work as either PS/2 or USB, and just had a plug adapter. What you would need is an active adapter that is a PS/2 keyboard/mouse controller.

But, if it's important, just get a computer with native ports. Ordering online, it's not hard to find big vendor boxes with them. I recently installed some with them that will never even use them. Even highly compatible bridges may not take too many keys at once, drop quickly repeated keys, which won't happen with native ports. Like serial, it may not be on every B&M unit, but PS/2 ports are not going away soon. White box motherboards, and business PCs, commonly have them.

why has Cerb warned about Software being a potential insurmountable obstacle?
You mention additional keys and macros. Normally, this is handled by resident software, looking for non-standard scancodes. Apparently, that was wrong for this keyboard, looking at the Wikipedia article.

DonCorbata

Aug 29, 2013
I hope I am doing this correctly!

Thank You Cerb, VirtualLarry and Ben90, you have all helped me to decide how to retain the use of my Gateway Anykey 2191011-14-002 keyboards when I replace my PCs. I‘ve decided to buy something with 'native'/'original' PS/2 ports and thus avoid any problems with PS/2 to USB cable/connectors/converter/adaptors. That was the plan until . . . . Recently when I tried to restore an Anykey keyboards by downloading a saved Personality file and I encountered a new problem, so, replacement PCs are on hold until I am certain that I have two on-going fully functional programmable keyboards. At the moment both function as keyboards, and manually entered macros work fine but I cannot secure and restore them using the Anykey30 Dos utility. This should be bread and butter stuff but I cant spot (the deliberate) mistake and now I again ask for your help.

I was running the ANYKEY30 (Ver 3.0 © 1993) program under a Windows 98 Dos load (something I have done many times without a hitch) and after seeing the 'graphic display of the download' finish as normal, one is invited, at the bottom of the still visible selection screen to hit Esc to continue. At this point hitting Esc to Continue did not revert me back to the Dos prompt which I am certain used to happen (instead the Anykey30 run options stayed on the screen) and one of the two following scenarios 1. KB completely locked-up and screen showing Anykey30 run-options is frozen. Or 2. KB alive as evidenced by the lights which correctly react to key depressions (including CtrlAltSuspend which shows by the lights, that it is reinitialising) but this is not supported by screen evidence because that is frozen as in first case.
In the first case, not even Ctrl+Alt+Suspend to reinitialise the KB works. I have to force a restart and hold the Suspend Macro key, This is the only way to bring the KB back to life.
In the second case. the ‘apparently active when last connected’ KB goes dead on restarting and one has to again hold suspend key doing another restart to awaken it.
I have tried it all again and again, permutating, (when invited to ‘hit ESC to continue’) the keys Enter, Esc and Suspend-macro, Program Macro and others to no avail. I think this ‘unclean’ termination of Anykey30 results in the omission of some final housekeeping which includes putting the KB in the ‘ready’ state where it can again communicate with the PC? Both PCs give the same results, but see ** below regarding keyboards. I am using the same Dos program as before, I have tried downloading known ‘good’ personality files etc. I can’t think of any possible change to my environment since the time when it used to work perfectly! Does this ring a bell with anyone?

A couple of odd things.
When running Anykey30- having chosen Download Personality file and entered its name, one is instructed to hit Esc to continue. This reverts one to the point where one has to re-enter the filename and the instruction should, I think be ‘hit Enter to continue – It may have always been like this!
** When one uses Ctrl+Alt+Suspend to reinitialise the program light flashes while this happens. One keyboard flashes for about eight seconds while the other for about two seconds?

leon12150

Apr 8, 2015
I realize this is an answer to an old post. Anykey3.0 is a .EXE program and should work in W95 and W98. Not sure about XP. Will not work in W7 or later as the instruction set in the processor has changed. I have not been able to get anykey3.0 to run on a W7 running virtual W98. Keep the old machine to backup and reinstall keyboard macros. A PS2 KVM switch might be helpful.

Get a newer computer with PS2 ports. I have a PS2 to USB adapter and when playing macros, some of the characters dropout making the macro useless. Works great on the motherboard PS2 port. Possibly some PS2 to USB adapters will pass the entire macro without dropped characters. The ones I have must be too slow on the conversion. The Anykey keyboard is a great keyboard and am surprised the hardware programmable function is no longer manufactured.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I still have a USB version of one of these, with a USB port on the right hand side for hooking up the matching Gateway 2000 mouse. It is my go-to keyboard when I need to get into the BIOS on my HTPC that has a wireless keyboard that cannot be used during bootup. What a tank !! It reminds me of the old Northgate OmniKey AT clickety clack keyboards (or the IBM Model M) that I used in the late 90s.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I still have a USB version of one of these, with a USB port on the right hand side for hooking up the matching Gateway 2000 mouse. It is my go-to keyboard when I need to get into the BIOS on my HTPC that has a wireless keyboard that cannot be used during bootup. What a tank !! It reminds me of the old Northgate OmniKey AT clickety clack keyboards (or the IBM Model M) that I used in the late 90s.

One of our machines upstairs is still equipped with a standard '90s-era keyboard labeld "IBM." The others have Logitech PS/2 units -- one at least 10 years old -- connected in two different ways:

USB-"A" to PS/2 adapter with the USB connected directly to a computer

Similar adapter with computer connection to a 20-year-old Belkin "PS/2" KVM switch; either a direct PS/2 connection of the keyboard to the Belkin, or a USB mouse with PS/2 adapter plug to the Belkin.

I'm not all goo-gah about keyboard macros and other features, but these Logitech keyboards have "sleep," "sound-volume" and other switches which just . . . freaking . . . work with this hardware klooge.

Lemme see here -- try something else . . . a coupla things . . .

"Calculator" works; "E-mail" brings up Windows Outlook.

No -- the worst thing about the patch-cables and plugs: switching between computers on the Belkin requires "special attention" to bringing back the suspended mouse and keyboard status: one has to press down on the left mouse button after the switchover, or moving the mouse causes all sorts of mischief on the desktop -- raising windows and dialogs I don't want to see, changing the desktop icon sizes, etc. But the remedy is simple and reliable: I switch to this or that computer, press down on the left mouse button, and all is happy and copacetic.

In other posts (likely to this forum), or maybe in "General Hardware" I've spoken of "hardware hoarding:" the respondents ripe for a "geeko-12-step-program" described their vast collections. I have a second of these Belkin KVMs in storage -- which nevertheless was working perfectly when I put it away. Those things had cost me $260 each . . . in 1995.

Time to buy another KVM -- ready for 4K, and with reliable USB connections for kybd and mouse. Oddly, some folks have problems with some of those units -- detracting from the reliability of their USB kybd and mouse devices. And here I am . . . with a PS/2 KVM, USB(to PS/2) mouse to KVM to PS/2-USB adapter-splitter, and PS/2 keyboard to KVM to USB computer connection. And the only problem I have -- is the one I described . . . which isn't really a problem.

Footnote: FWIW, I only use the "V" part of the KVM for my server or "system-builds-under-testing" with analog VGA to a 17" monitor. The others -- with "K" and "M" use of the KVM, have "V" switching directly at my BenQ monitor. That -- too -- is not much of an inconvenience. [So when should I shell out $175 or more on a 4-port "modern" KVM??]

Last edited:

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Time to buy another KVM -- ready for 4K, and with reliable USB connections for kybd and mouse. Oddly, some folks have problems with some of those units -- detracting from the reliability of their USB kybd and mouse devices. And here I am . . . with a PS/2 KVM, USB(to PS/2) mouse to KVM to PS/2-USB adapter-splitter, and PS/2 keyboard to KVM to USB computer connection. And the only problem I have -- is the one I described . . . which isn't really a problem.

BD, I love the fact that you have been able to stick with an older but proven reliable method to skirt the KVM issue. I just threw money at mine, investing in an IOGear GCS1734 DVI KVM, then when my old Belkin keyboard became too cruddy to use on the KVM, I bought an IOGEAR Z-GKM552R wireless kb/mouse to plug into the KVM, and since it was an IoGear unit, it worked perfectly with no loss of mouse special button functionality.

The only part of my setup that didn't work cleanly was when I'd hook up a customers older PC that only offered VGA out to my KVM, which was DVI only. A cheap dual link DVI->VGA adapter fixed that last issue.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
BD, I love the fact that you have been able to stick with an older but proven reliable method to skirt the KVM issue. I just threw money at mine, investing in an IOGear GCS1734 DVI KVM, then when my old Belkin keyboard became too cruddy to use on the KVM, I bought an IOGEAR Z-GKM552R wireless kb/mouse to plug into the KVM, and since it was an IoGear unit, it worked perfectly with no loss of mouse special button functionality.

The only part of my setup that didn't work cleanly was when I'd hook up a customers older PC that only offered VGA out to my KVM, which was DVI only. A cheap dual link DVI->VGA adapter fixed that last issue.

Sure! Just your comment makes me feel happier-than-a-pig-in-s***!

I've never had any electronic component last longer than 20 years -- or -- if I did -- I was eager to throw it away before such a time had expired. I'm really torn between a desire to purge my parts-locker of the second F1D066 Belkin KVM, and the functionality of the one still in use.

I forgot to mention another aspect of this . . . this . . KLOODGE.

I've got two Sandy Bridge workstations under the desk -- as I said -- each fitted with the USB to 2x PS/2 splitter adapter. I said that already. I also have my server system there. I've got PLENTY of PS/2 to KVM cables in the parts-lockers. But for some reason, when I first set up this tangle upon relocating back in So-Cal in 2000, I didn't have the right cable for one of the four ports. But I DID have a PC-AT-to-PS/2 adapter, which fit another PC-AT cable. The Belkin came fitted with PC-AT option computer connections with the PS/2. The server is the only rig fitted with PS/2 ports.

So I've got a mix of 30-year-old technology with the 20-year-old Belkin and the USB adapters.

When did "PS/2" come into play, anyway? late 80's? or early 90's?

In some other threads I'd started for inquiry, I mentioned some other "KLOODGE-ABLE" items that allow for this . . . Frankenstein-monster-KVM usage. Nobody in their right mind would want to use analog VGA connectivity anymore. [EDIT:] Sorry -- I mean "unless they absolutely had to do so . . "

So I bought a $25 Sewell IBIS 1x3/3x1 bidirectional HDMI switch. It worked, but because it had to re-establish the HDMI handshake after switching computers, it was cumbersome for a two-monitor system with my HDTV directly connected to the computer. The desktop would "relocate" itself switching away from a machine, and then Media Center would pop up on the switched monitor when returning to that machine.

So for the record, you CAN supplement a KVM with an HDMI switch -- needing only to press two buttons instead of one, or do the K(V)M switching from the keyboard followed by a punch or two to the HDMI switch button.

The new BenQ monitor and its S-Switch is still the better choice for me.

I've been looking at the IOGEAR units such as that you described. Haven't yet found such a KVM for which the manufacturer GUARANTEES reliability with a monitor and system(s) set up for 144Hz refresh rate, though. In the upper range, for 4K operability, some of the options can cost between $400 and $500.

If it's about "stocks and flows" of money, the Belkin dinosaur is a lifesaver.

Last edited:

leon12150

Apr 8, 2015
Anykey software.

Anykey software requires DOS. Make a DOS boot USB flash drive (Rufus makes dos boot drive with usb drivers) and use it to save, upload and download the keyboard macros.

Donald L Cooper

Mar 22, 2018
Here it is, 2018, and I finally got my hands on an ANYKEY keyboard like the one I loved many years ago. It wasn't easy getting it functional on my PC. The keyboard terminal was AT, but with simple adapters I got it to USB. However, there was no response until I added an "active" PS2/USB adapter ($18). I was then able to obtain functionality, program keys, and move along. I was elated.....too soon. After a while, regular keys started acting "funny", giving extraneous outputs. Clearing all programming corrected the problem but reprogramming returned it, not immediately but after some time. Was it incompatibility with my WIN 10 OS or rather a faulty keyboard? Hard to tell.

I'll now sell it (with explanation and returnability), hoping someone with an older OS can use it reliably.

With such continued interest in the concept, why has no one modernized it?

--Oldster