Gas shock!! Hitting $4.22 point 9 nearby.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Last time it broke $4.00 oil was $145 a barrel not $96! Think it coincidence they shut down two refineries just in time for Memorial Day and a chance to gouge the consumer?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Are you going to buy less gas due to the increased price? If not, why should they drop the price? Just to help your pocketbook at their own expense? I'm sick of do-nothings complaining about the price of gas simply because they can do so without knowing anything about how they are able to magically pump a ridiculously cheap substance and meander about the countryside. If you don't like it, you're free to walk.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Are you going to buy less gas due to the increased price? If not, why should they drop the price? Just to help your pocketbook at their own expense? I'm sick of do-nothings complaining about the price of gas simply because they can do so without knowing anything about how they are able to magically pump a ridiculously cheap substance and meander about the countryside. If you don't like it, you're free to walk.

I'm not sure who you're mad at here, but you have to think of gas like electricity and water. Just because they CAN price gouge shouldn't mean they are ALLOWED to. Ya know?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I'm not sure who you're mad at here, but you have to think of gas like electricity and water. Just because they CAN price gouge shouldn't mean they are ALLOWED to. Ya know?
No, I don't know. What is "gouging?" It's a nonsense term used by a know-nothing because one feels that the price they are paying is artificially inflated above their arbitrarily-derived level of what one should be paying for that commodity. They should absolutely charge as much as you are willing to pay subject to the constraints placed on the market by competition. No other argument has any meaning whatsoever.

edit: I post this as someone with a PhD in chemical engineering. I spent many years studying processes related to flow assurance and oil refining. I went into biomedical engineering because oil refining is too damn difficult. It's much easier for me to solve various diseases than to produce gasoline. Oil refining is the single most complex process in the world. Doing it at a scale required to actually turn a profit in the fiercely competitive refining marketplace is actually a miracle of science and economics. Complaining about paying some nominal fee for this product is a clear manifestation of complete ignorance.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
At a major highway exit?

Gas here is in the 3.25 - 3.35 range here, and going down slowly. That is in NC which has the highest tax on gas in the country.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
No, I don't know. What is "gouging?" It's a nonsense term used by a know-nothing because one feels that the price they are paying is artificially inflated above their arbitrarily-derived level of what one should be paying for that commodity. They should absolutely charge as much as you are willing to pay subject to the constraints placed on the market by competition. No other argument has any meaning whatsoever.

edit: I post this as someone with a PhD in chemical engineering. I spent many years studying processes related to flow assurance and oil refining. I went into biomedical engineering because oil refining is too damn difficult. It's much easier for me to solve various diseases than to produce gasoline. Oil refining is the single most complex process in the world. Doing it at a scale required to actually turn a profit in the fiercely competitive refining marketplace is actually a miracle of science and economics. Complaining about paying some nominal fee for this product is a clear manifestation of complete ignorance.

lolol.

EDIT: lolol.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
First of May it wad $3.28 at Shell by the Austin airport.

Shell a couple days later by Denver airport was 3.47.

Is there a $0.20 tax difference between the two?

Both were attached to a convenience store and at the end of the airport access road.

Physical location cost?
Transportation costs could be slightly higher due to the nearest refinery.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
First of May it wad $3.28 at Shell by the Austin airport.

Shell a couple days later by Denver airport was 3.47.

Is there a $0.20 tax difference between the two?

Both were attached to a convenience store and at the end of the airport access road.

Physical location cost?
Transportation costs could be slightly higher due to the nearest refinery.
It's about $3.30 in San Antonio and $4.15 in San Francisco as of last weekend. Most of the world's refining capacity is on the Gulf Coast here so the price of end products will nearly always be higher as distance from the coast increases (excepting tax effects of course).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Gas jumped about 30 cents/gallon here in less than two weeks. $3.85 is about the cheapest here right now.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Exxon Mobil the most PROFITABLE company in the world, poor babies have it so rough making gas.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Gas has gone down for me last month. I bought my first hybrid three years ago and cannot picture going without one again.

Last week I saw a 2007 Prius with a hundred k miles on it for $9k.

Every household should have an ultra efficient commuter if at all possible!

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Exxon Mobil the most PROFITABLE company in the world, poor babies have it so rough making gas.

Refining is the red-headed step child of the oil & gas industry. It is by far the lowest margin phase of the journey from crude oil to gasoline going into your car. Most major companies are trying to sell the refineries and just do upstream exploration/drilling.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
$4.29 here in the Twin Cities. Up from $3.49 2 weeks ago. The excuse is that two refineries in Chicago have shut down for maintenance.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Refining is the red-headed step child of the oil & gas industry. It is by far the lowest margin phase of the journey from crude oil to gasoline going into your car. Most major companies are trying to sell the refineries and just do upstream exploration/drilling.

yeah ewww that would be like work and stuff.. much better life just pumping it out of the ground with machines and selling it in bulk for ridiculous prices.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Most of ExxonMobil's profits come from oil sales and joint venture with overseas oil companies. I doubt their profits from refining gas and diesel makes up 10% of their profits.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oil usage in the US has been on the decline for several years and production in the US has soared, yet prices have remained high. No gouging going on here.....Nor are there any speculators or trading issues.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...65314e-bf3f-11e2-9b09-1638acc3942e_story.html

crude_182.gif

Last edited:

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Aww! Are you butt hurt?? Get over it! Now let's get back to timing, closing two refinery plants ,"Iowa & Indiana?" Right after BP got fines they claim will bankrupt them, just in time to rake in the most money from the Spring Ag and Holiday demand, doesn't sound like "gouging to you?

May 13, 2009
Adjust accordingly. I'm to the point the wife and I drive small gas efficient cars. My truck stays parked except for when I actually need a truck which is once or twice a month. Fill ups at $30 sure beats the $85 I was spending daily driving a truck.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Adjust accordingly. I'm to the point the wife and I drive small gas efficient cars. My truck stays parked except for when I actually need a truck which is once or twice a month. Fill ups at $30 sure beats the $85 I was spending daily driving a truck.

i need to get a beater car for this reason. it just sucks though, because i dont see why i should make my life more difficult just because some ceo's want more billions... fucking assholes.