Gas Prices to continue decline.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Wow, gas prices are almost $0!

LOL, gotta love misleading graphs. Use a zero scale and stretch it back further than one month. An equally true but less misleading graph would look like the Himalayas.

Only misleading to someone who can't read the labels.... Guess that explains it.

You should complain to gasbuddy and Google... Maybe they will make it more agreeable to you?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It's always a tit-for-a-tat with you. Has your brain evolved beyond a third grade level?

"Little Matt, you can't do that."
Matt - "But, but, but, but, Suzy did it!!!!"

Dems went hell bent for leather on blaming Bush for the gas prices. Are we supposed to just ignore all those baseless accusations? You can’t have it both ways.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Dems went hell bent for leather on blaming Bush for the gas prices. Are we supposed to just ignore all those baseless accusations? You can’t have it both ways.

Being no better than the Democrats is not really a goal I'd advertise if I were you.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Both sides use graphs without the bottom axis showing. Partisans only complain when the other guys do it.

Which in this case all axis are showing. Nothing is hidden. It's "partisan" because it's not helpful to their arguments.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Lol prices aren't going to come down to any reasonable level. You're still going to see 5 dollars end of next spring.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Which in this case all axis are showing. Nothing is hidden. It's "partisan" because it's not helpful to their arguments.

I was referring to showing the "zero line" on the Y axis. It's missing from the graphs I saw.

Again, this is done by everybody. People who like the graphs say this "allows focus on changes to be made more evident". People who dislike the graphs say this is "deceptive".

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Being no better than the Democrats is not really a goal I'd advertise if I were you.
Look around at the bumpers of all the cars driving around next time you are out. You will see the outline of where the old bumper stickers used to be that said "Gas was $1.75 when Bush took office" If the Republicans were blaming Obama even 1/2 as much as Dems blamed Bush then you would have a valid argument.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Look around at the bumpers of all the cars driving around next time you are out. You will see the outline of where the old bumper stickers used to be that said "Gas was $1.75 when Bush took office" If the Republicans were blaming Obama even 1/2 as much as Dems blamed Bush then you would have a valid argument.

I was talking about you, specifically.

As far as the rest of the country is concerned, a big wrong (Dems blaming Bush) doesn't justify a smaller wrong (Republicans blaming Obama) in response.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Here's hoping the economy continues to tank. Its the only reason for low gas prices after all.....

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Here's hoping the economy continues to tank. Its the only reason for low gas prices after all.....

Gas was about where it is now in mid-2008. Do you deny that the economic crash was a big reason for why the gas price plummetted later that year?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
With iPhone 5 launch boosting GDP, I think companies like Apple and game console manufacturers should start receiving Federal money in order to speed up the release cycles over and above what the market would generally indicate. If can release the next 3 game systems and the iPhone 6 next year. We will be in full recovery.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I was talking about you, specifically.

As far as the rest of the country is concerned, a big wrong (Dems blaming Bush) doesn't justify a smaller wrong (Republicans blaming Obama) in response.

Well you can specifically go look at my post and see I did not blame Obama.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

So your knee jerk reply is to continue doing exactly what you were called out on.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Inventory levels are at highs and the economy effecting it is Europe. It also has to do with the switch off summer blend.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/why-are-gas-prices-falling

Except that, in the US, the price of gas has almost nothing to do with anything else but the price of oil. The two prices correlate more than 98% of the time. The other factors have little to do with the price of gas.

This is why gas was so much cheaper in 2008. Oil was below $70/barrel. The economy had/has nothing to do with it.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Except that, in the US, the price of gas has almost nothing to do with anything else but the price of oil. The two prices correlate more than 98% of the time. The other factors have little to do with the price of gas.

This is why gas was so much cheaper in 2008. Oil was below $70/barrel. The economy had/has nothing to do with it.

They are directly linked as you said. Are you saying you don't think the economy effects oil pricing?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If I am running a gas station and I put $20k of gas in my storage tank I need to sell that gasoline at a price that I can at least break even for my cost. It was widely reported in CA that some gas station owners declined to refill their tanks when the gas prices where shooting up so much. They did see it as a temporary thing and elected to take their gas station offline for a few days and not get stuck with a bunch of expensive gas in their tanks that they cannot sell for at least as much as they bought it for.

I'll take your word for how they do things in CA, but that is not how things are done over here. Gas stations lower their price to match what other stations do, and raise them the same way. They even out over time, some gain more than others when they price goes up, some lose more than others when the price goes down.

It was funny this summer because the road I drive going to work had a new (to SC) gas station company come in and charge a lower price than anyone else in town. All other gas stations within a 5-mile radius lowered their price as well, just to keep their business up. Needless to say, they were relieved when QT stopped doing that after a few months.

I wasn't.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
They are directly linked as you said. Are you saying you don't think the economy effects oil pricing?

Not really, other than the exchange of dollars to barrels since oil is traded in dollars, at least for now. So as the dollar got devalued, the price of oil went up because it took more dollars to get the same amount of oil as before. This isn't the economy itself, but rather government's idiot approach to fixing some of the mess were are in.

Without all the money printing and devaluation of the dollar, the price of oil might have dropped every so slightly just do to recession woes. Even then, its an indirect effect in that the demand for oil drops but nothing else is affected.

There are far bigger and more direct factors than the state of the US economy on the price of oil.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'll take your word for how they do things in CA, but that is not how things are done over here. Gas stations lower their price to match what other stations do, and raise them the same way. They even out over time, some gain more than others when they price goes up, some lose more than others when the price goes down.

It was funny this summer because the road I drive going to work had a new (to SC) gas station company come in and charge a lower price than anyone else in town. All other gas stations within a 5-mile radius lowered their price as well, just to keep their business up. Needless to say, they were relieved when QT stopped doing that after a few months.

I wasn't.

I have read that basically owning a gas station kind of sucks. From what I read your price can be dictated by the rifener. So if you are selling Chevron gas, Chevron can dictate what price you sell the gas for. They also dictate what price you can buy the gas for. So a lot of the price of gas is out of the station owners hands. So two different Chevron gas station owners might not be able to get gas delivered on the same day at the same day. I have heard for example if you own a gas station nearby a Costco the refiner of the oil will give you a lower price than say a gas station that doesn't have a Costco within a certain amount of radius. It seems in CA the major oil companines have a fair amount of control over what the owners sell their gas for.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The economy is the reason oil was below $70/bbl.

Then why has oil change so much, back and forth, since then? The economy sure has't.

If war breaks out between Iran and Israel, the price of oil is going to stay the same so long as the US economy stays the same, amiright?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Demand is down- traveling season for motorists is over now that it is mid-fall.

And problems with refineries, from the summer, has been resolved so more gas is finally being produced. Now let's see if Obama starts running around claiming he 'fixed' the problem.