Gas Prices to continue decline.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
No you biased shill moron. It clearly says 1 month I hid nothing. Everyone knows gas has been going up. Was simply showing its been dropping recently. Not everything is a conspiracy. Replace that foil helmet. Clicking one month history to show gas falling is fubar? Is that more or less fubar than ignoring the 4 under Bush?

The graph you showed was so short of a timeline and small of a $ increment that it basically showed nothing, so go fuck yourself. Ohhh one month and almost 15 pennies.
I'm constantly surprised that whiny little bitches like you get outraged when called on your partisanship.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Dulanic
No you biased shill moron. It clearly says 1 month I hid nothing. Everyone knows gas has been going up. Was simply showing its been dropping recently. Not everything is a conspiracy. Replace that foil helmet. Clicking one month history to show gas falling is fubar? Is that more or less fubar than ignoring the 4 under Bush?

The graph you showed was so short of a timeline and small of a $ increment that it basically showed nothing, so go fuck yourself. Ohhh one month and almost 15 pennies.
I'm constantly surprised that whiny little bitches like you get outraged when called on your partisanship.

:thumbsup:

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

No I call you out when you make baseless claims without any facts. But have it as you may, you live in lala land anyways.

I guess Google search engine is partisan right? It lead me to the crazy places that make up facts I guess....

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

The only part that pisses me off is you ASSUME you know what I did or what my thought process was. You "think" I did some magic shit to turn the numbers partisan... I simply posted something I found when I searched for recent gas prices as I noticed them dropping.

So you can think you have a clue what I do, but you don't. So no go fuck yourself you paranoid tin foil hat wearing partisan hack.

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Gas prices have been interesting lately in CA.

Yesterday my wife filled up her car at Costco and she told me the price was 4.39. I went over this morning to fill up my car and the price was 4.29. Went back over this afternoon to buy a couple of items and the price was now 4.14. So in less than 48-hours the price had gone from 4.39 to 4.14 a gallon at my nearest Costco, a drop of 25 cents a gallon. I have never seen gas prices move that much before. The Shell gas station nearby the Costco is still charging 4.49 a gallon. Probably the owner of that station isn't very happy right now with Costco right next door selling gas 35 cents a gallon cheaper.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

Yesterday my wife filled up her car at Costco and she told me the price was 4.39. I went over this morning to fill up my car and the price was 4.29. Went back over this afternoon to buy a couple of items and the price was now 4.14. So in less than 48-hours the price had gone from 4.39 to 4.14 a gallon at my nearest Costco, a drop of 25 cents a gallon. I have never seen gas prices move that much before. The Shell gas station nearby the Costco is still charging 4.49 a gallon. Probably the owner of that station isn't very happy right now with Costco right next door selling gas 35 cents a gallon cheaper.

He probably doesn't feel the need to water it down.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
No I call you out when you make baseless claims without any facts. But have it as you may, you live in lala land anyways.

I guess Google search engine is partisan right? It lead me to the crazy places that make up facts I guess....
The only part that pisses me off is you ASSUME you know what I did or what my thought process was. You "think" I did some magic shit to turn the numbers partisan... I simply posted something I found when I searched for recent gas prices as I noticed them dropping.

So you can think you have a clue what I do, but you don't. So no go fuck yourself you paranoid tin foil hat wearing partisan hack.

You're the little girl that posts a one month and 15 cent change in the gas price and claim it's going to help Obama in his election chances. I call shens on your partisan bullshit. Go cry a river.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

Open and free competition will have that effect of driving prices down. The Shell station owner is relying on consumers choosing a brand name gas station over Costco but he'll either adapt or go out of business. Some people still believe the nonsense that gas varies depending on brand names but in the end all stations get their gas contracts from the same few refineries brand name stations get their from in CA.

I've seen the same occur with Arco stations in SF (and smaller mom and pop stations in the Mission) when they are located near other gas stations. Particularly one on Fell and Divisadero which consistently has lower prices than the Shell and BP stations near it. The only thing which would drive prices higher over the long term would be if local governments impose mandates, taxes or regulations on all gas stations which then has the effect of driving up prices for consumers.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
You're the little girl that posts a one month and 15 cent change in the gas price and claim it's going to help Obama in his election chances. I call shens on your partisan bullshit. Go cry a river.

Very mature. So you are going to deny that if gas prices continue to decline it will have any kind of impact on voters? Should it, fuck no. But would it? Most likely. People are too stupid to separate the president from gas prices. I can't count the number of times I've seen people on Facebook etc crying why doesn't Obama fix gas prices! Like there is some magic wand that lowers gas pricing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-not-so-fast/2012/03/12/gIQA8fsO8R_story.html

How much does the president have to do with the price of gasoline?

A lot, say American voters. According to oil experts and economists, not so much — at least in the short term.

http://blogs.platts.com/2012/10/17/debate/

In a poll released Tuesday by the University of Texas at Austin, researchers found that only 32% of voters believed the president had the power to manage gasoline prices. And only 9% believed the president is the “most responsible” for the price at the pump — in contrast, the largest percentage, 36%, blamed oil and gas companies.

Do you deny that Republicans try to game the public into thinking Obama has a lot to do with has prices? I mean you can't honestly say that with a straight face can you?

You can throw your temper tantrums and call me a little girl, but it is you who denies reality. I didn't actually claim anything about obama's reelection chances did I? I simply said that if the prices continue to drop and drop say, 50 cents, like many say it may that it would remove a bullet from the republicans gun. And you can't deny that the republicans have tried to blame Obama for high gas prices.

Now crawl back to your shill factory and STFU already.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The price goes up... the price goes down. The price went down about 15 cents to anyone who can see. Only the shilltards here could possibly be trying to paint the OP as anything other than what is printed clearly in black and white. Now the graph has a liberal bias? It looks pretty clear it went down from $3.82 to $3.67. You but, but, but Bush idiots as well as you, that graph is too liberal fucktards are showing your true colors today. GTFU :rolleyes:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Open and free competition will have that effect of driving prices down. The Shell station owner is relying on consumers choosing a brand name gas station over Costco but he'll either adapt or go out of business. Some people still believe the nonsense that gas varies depending on brand names but in the end all stations get their gas contracts from the same few refineries brand name stations get their from in CA.

I've seen the same occur with Arco stations in SF (and smaller mom and pop stations in the Mission) when they are located near other gas stations. Particularly one on Fell and Divisadero which consistently has lower prices than the Shell and BP stations near it. The only thing which would drive prices higher over the long term would be if local governments impose mandates, taxes or regulations on all gas stations which then has the effect of driving up prices for consumers.

Yup basically all the gas comes from the same refineries. The only thing different is that the Costco gas gets delivered by a tanker without any brand on the side and the Name Brand gets delivered by a tanker with a name on the side. I also know that since Costco moves so much gas that they can afford to quickly drop their prices since the gas doesn't stay long in the tanks. Also Costco doesn't have to make any money off selling gas. They use the gas station to drive traffic into the Costco store. A normal gas station might have the gas sitting in their tanks for several days. At my local Costco I have seen one tanker truck driving off and another one lined up already to put more gas in the storage tanks.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yup basically all the gas comes from the same refineries. The only thing different is that the Costco gas gets delivered by a tanker without any brand on the side and the Name Brand gets delivered by a tanker with a name on the side. I also know that since Costco moves so much gas that they can afford to quickly drop their prices since the gas doesn't stay long in the tanks. Also Costco doesn't have to make any money off selling gas. They use the gas station to drive traffic into the Costco store. A normal gas station might have the gas sitting in their tanks for several days. At my local Costco I have seen one tanker truck driving off and another one lined up already to put more gas in the storage tanks.

I have a couple problems with your statement.
1. I do not see a gas station not charging anything over the cost of their gas. Just doesn't happen. They pay for the cost of their frequent checks as well as the hardware and software they use. It isn't free, and no company would lose money on it.
2. Gas stations lower and raise their prices based on their neighboring stations. It has nothing to do with the gas in the tanks. This will even out over time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Gas prices are expected to decline further and reach near $3 levels.

According to the President, gas prices are lower when the economy is f'ed.

According to Mittens, gas prices will be lower when he's President.

Which is it?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I thought I was looking at a marketing graph put out by AMD.

The retail drop lags the wholesale drop.

Some markets have wholesale prices in the $2.75 range. Thats why they are prediciting national gas prices to average around $3.30 in the next 3 or so weeks. Some markets will probably come in slightly under $3.

And gas prices have nothing to do with the President. They are seasonal and are greatly effected by demand and outside forces(refinery problems, economic collapse etc).

During Bush's last 6 months in office, gas went from record high to less than $2. Bush had nothing to do with the high gas prices(record oil prices), or the low gas prices(economic collapse causing drop off in demand, which caused the price of oil to drop like a rock).

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Very mature. So you are going to deny that if gas prices continue to decline it will have any kind of impact on voters? Should it, fuck no. But would it? Most likely. People are too stupid to separate the president from gas prices. I can't count the number of times I've seen people on Facebook etc crying why doesn't Obama fix gas prices! Like there is some magic wand that lowers gas pricing.

Do you deny that Republicans try to game the public into thinking Obama has a lot to do with has prices? I mean you can't honestly say that with a straight face can you?

You can throw your temper tantrums and call me a little girl, but it is you who denies reality. I didn't actually claim anything about obama's reelection chances did I? I simply said that if the prices continue to drop and drop say, 50 cents, like many say it may that it would remove a bullet from the republicans gun. And you can't deny that the republicans have tried to blame Obama for high gas prices.

You start out by being reasonable, but then turn into a frothing at the mouth liberal Democrat partisan that would say or do anything to make their loser choice for a president look better. Big deal that gasoline prices went down 15 cents in a month, prices usually go down after the summer season and before the winter mixes come out.
You're the typical pep rally Obama cheerleader that wants us all to celebrate an Obama victory because the sun is still coming up every morning. Get over yourself.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Dulanic

You start out by being reasonable, but then turn into a frothing at the mouth liberal Democrat partisan that would say or do anything to make their loser choice for a president look better. Big deal that gasoline prices went down 15 cents in a month, prices usually go down after the summer season and before the winter mixes come out.
You're the typical pep rally Obama cheerleader that wants us all to celebrate an Obama victory because the sun is still coming up every morning. Get over yourself.

Both of you guys know you're wrong.

All being scammed by oil thugs and loving it.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
If you don't understand why people blamed the president who started wars in the region where we import oil from... I'm just not sure how to make sense of this conversation.

Aside from the fact neither he nor the current president has any direct control over fuel prices.

All being scammed by oil thugs and loving it.

Government makes more money per gallon of gas than Exxon does. 50 cents in taxes on average (fed, state, and local combined) vs 7 cents per gallon profit by Exxon in 2011.

What was that about "oil thugs" again?

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
If I were a Democrat I'd expect more of my Democratic peers than a "they did it so why can't I too?" attitude.

If I were a Republican I'd expect more of my Republican peers than a "they did it so why can't I too?" attitude.

Lots of idiots in this thread in two basic types:

1. Those who blamed Bush and are now defending Obama

2. Those who blame Obama because others blamed Bush.

You all should go fvck yourselves.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you really believe they only make 7 cents profit per gallon I have a bridge for sale for you.

Based on that, the refiners make more than that as one point last year (when gas was $4.00 per gallon), there were published stories that midwest refiners were making $1.00+ per gallon profit.

Which brings up a question, does the big oil companies not own the refineries (either directly or indirectly)?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I have a couple problems with your statement.
1. I do not see a gas station not charging anything over the cost of their gas. Just doesn't happen. They pay for the cost of their frequent checks as well as the hardware and software they use. It isn't free, and no company would lose money on it.
2. Gas stations lower and raise their prices based on their neighboring stations. It has nothing to do with the gas in the tanks. This will even out over time.

At Costco the main money maker for their business is the store and the membership fees so the gas itself doesn't have to generate much profits since selling gasoline drives customers into their store. Unlike a normal gas station which it's main business is selling gas. Costco hasn't released the numbers but they have been sued in some states that Costco is selling gasoline at below cost which is illegal in several states.

If I am running a gas station and I put $20k of gas in my storage tank I need to sell that gasoline at a price that I can at least break even for my cost. It was widely reported in CA that some gas station owners declined to refill their tanks when the gas prices where shooting up so much. They did see it as a temporary thing and elected to take their gas station offline for a few days and not get stuck with a bunch of expensive gas in their tanks that they cannot sell for at least as much as they bought it for.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, gas prices are almost $0!

LOL, gotta love misleading graphs. Use a zero scale and stretch it back further than one month. An equally true but less misleading graph would look like the Himalayas.